Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan 19yr Kirkland Label from Costco

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Is the Costco Macallan 19yr a good buy?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm

yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 5

Macallan 19yr Kirkland Label from Costco

Postby MacallanFTW » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:53 pm

I was curious so i sent an e-mail to the good folks at Macallan regarding this bottling. Here is their response:

This is not an official Macallan bottling. In the last decade, we were still producing more liquid than we could sell so when we had filled enough casks for our own uses, we sold the surplus new make spirit to independent bottlers to store and bottle in their own time under their own label. This is a case in point.

Once the casks are sold to the third party, we have no control over the storage conditions or the quality of the final bottled liquid. The only connection to The Macallan is that we produced the new make spirit but in this case, that spirit was not monitored by The Macallan Whisky Maker like the whisky that we bottle is.

We have not tasted it as it is not available in this country so are not in a position to give a comparison to The Macallan 18 years old.

I hope this clarifies.

Patricia Lee
Marketing Assistant

This sheds a little light on the bottling and where it came from, I think the taste will ultimately tell the tale whether this is a good buy or not. I've got my bottle ready to go this weekend, side by side with my 18yr Mac I'll compare the drams and report back.
MacallanFTW

Postby vitara7 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:14 pm

well there not really going to say yes its great now are they? they have a product they sell so theyre only going to bum up there prodct, not somone elses
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:32 pm

I don't think they're slagging it--just saying they aren't responsible for it. It's exactly what I would expect them to say in the circumstances.
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:57 pm

i never said they were slagging it, just there not going to give much on it and you always knew they would fudge round the issue.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:06 pm

Sorry, misread your post. But the point stands, and obviously we agree on it.
Deactivated Member

Side by Side against an 18yr Old Mac...

Postby MacallanFTW » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:08 pm

A couple of friends came by before New Years and we decided to have a couple of Habanos and do a little single malt tasting. I wanted to compare the 19yr Kirkland to the Macallan 18yr (distilled 1987).

Let me start by saying that both whiskeys were exceptional.

The Costco 19yr is only 40% vs. 18yr Mac 43%
This did have an affect on the overall nosing and warmth of the whiskey.

Where as the 18yr had a very familiar long lasting finish with all of beautiful subtleties you would come to expect from this regal vintage, I found the Costco stuff a little short in that department.

The 18yr Mac was a bit richer in color and depth.

I also tasted some Macallan 12yr, and the Costco 19yr was a significant improvement from that vintage as far as flavor, finish and overall smoothness.

The flavors up front in the 19yr are very similar to the 18yr Mac, but I don't know if it is the alcohol content or what, it does not have the lasting impression on the palate like the 18yr.

You can roll both of these spirits around on the tongue for a few and get a very similar taste and experience, but as you swallow and let things settle in, that is where the difference is. I don't know about the medicinal flavor that others have mentioned, but I do see their point as far as a slight shortcoming in the finish.

My friends felt that same way. All in all, the Costco 19yr is a good buy in my opinion and I would not think twice about buying another bottle.

If you can find some add a bottle to your bar or liquor cabinet, you won't be disappointed.

Happy New Year.

Macallanftw
MacallanFTW

Re: Side by Side against an 18yr Old Mac...

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:17 pm

MacallanFTW wrote:The flavors up front in the 19yr are very similar to the 18yr Mac, but I don't know if it is the alcohol content or what, it does not have the lasting impression on the palate like the 18yr.

One can only assume that Macallan would be loathe to sell their best casks to Costco. It's like store-brand toothpaste--all the same ingredients, but somehow just not quite right. Glad to hear this stuff is pretty good, though--I had my doubts.
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:24 pm

ill be popping in to get one next time im passing
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:42 am

Just gave mine a try.

Picked up a bottle at my Novato, CA Costco this evening. Talking with 'ganga' over the phone and decided to give it a try.

Nice dram, and worth the $66USD I paid for it. Not as nice as most of my Macallan collection, but beats the Trader Joes 18yo by many miles.

The sherry notes are there, but no were near the standard releases. The nose is better than the initial palate has some sour notes, but gets much less prominent on multiple drams.

Cheers.
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder