Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Tobermory 10YO

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Tobermory , Tobermory 10 Years Old

Tobermory 10YO

Postby Sphinx » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:04 pm

Hey all.

Anyone ever tried a Tobermory 10YO, if yes could i please have some tasting notes.

I have just recieved a bottle from my boss at work, as a xmas gift, and i am not going to open it just right away, because i have to many open bottles as it is, but i would like to know how it tastes

Anywho, please dont hesitate to write if you have some notes on it.

And a merry xmas to you all.
Sphinx

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:26 pm

I used the Tobermory 10 in a recent whisky tasting where it proved quite popular, albeit not voted as the favourite malt.

According to Michael Jackson's tasting notes, it has toffee and a minty dryness and sweetness, with some peat.

We found that the peat wasn't too evident and yes, it was quite fresh and dry, but certainly didn't remind anyone of mint.
It was smooth and malty with a dryness and some nuttyness, but nobody thought it very toffee-ish. Others who had previously tried the Glen Garioch 8 years old considered this to have far more toffee than the Tobermory.

I hope this helps,
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:28 pm

I hesitate to say this, because a Christmas gift is a Christmas gift, and should be accepted in the spirit in which it was given (just what that is is for you to determine), but Tobermory is not generally very highly regarded. That doesn't mean you won't love it, though! One never knows about these things. I remember, the last couple times I had it, finding a peculiar cedar note in it, which varied in strength depending on circumstance.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:28 pm

I just checked the forum tasting notes and although there is 1 comment for the Tobermory 10, maybe Jan would like to add my previous one too.
:D
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:18 pm

It's from the same distillery that brought us Ledaig Sherry finish if that's of any help. :lol:
In fairness, though not brilliant, it is alright. I think recent bottlings have improved. Best drunk at Calgary Bay on Mull when the sun is setting on a warm summers evening with your rod in the water hoping for a nibble............ Mmmm - memories, sweet memories 8)
Deactivated Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:21 pm

Tobermorey 10 yo is a nice dram it`s not one of the greatest but I`ve had worse .
Definitivly worth trying I don`t know what kind of whisky you prefer so maybe you`ll like it or you won`t.
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby lexvo » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:00 pm

I had a few drams of Tobermory when visiting the town of Tobermory in Canada.

It is a nice whisky, nothing special, but I myself would open the bottle and enjoy it :)

Tobermory 10
Nose: sweet, fruity: appel/peach, malt, some herbs
Taste: malt, sweet, a bit tangling
Finish: malt, grass/barley, sweet
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:02 pm

I drank it last summer in a pub; these were my notes:

Nose: butter, citrus fruit, fruit tart, melon
Body: light
Taste: grassy, liquorice, hints of smoke and fleshed fruit
Final: short

Not very complex, but very drinkable.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:45 pm

its not the best whisky in the world, but you get what you pay for i guess, but at the same time, its not as stinking as loch dhu
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:28 am

I think we sub-consciously downgrade Tobermory because we romantically think it ought to remind us of othe typical west coast and isles whiskies (e.g. Talisker, etc). When it fails to deliver the same coastal qualities, we tend to knock a few extra points off.

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:23 am

I tried back in March, and really enjoyed it! Definitely green apples on the nose! Fresh, light, easy drinking, looking forward to getting into Norway soon.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:31 am

Not a bad drop, but not hugely exciting either. If you like Chivas Regal 12, you might be impressed by Tobermory 10.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby karlejnar » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:51 am

Admiral wrote:I think we sub-consciously downgrade Tobermory because we romantically think it ought to remind us of othe typical west coast and isles whiskies (e.g. Talisker, etc). When it fails to deliver the same coastal qualities, we tend to knock a few extra points off.

You're quite right here Admiral. But maybe it lacks the coastal notes because it is maturing on the mainland. Some years ago one of the previous owners lacked money and sold the warehouse in Tobermory. It has been converted into flats and since then Tobermory (and Ledaig) casks are matured in warehouses on the mainland. My guess is at Deanston Distillery but it may be elsewhere

Apart from this Tobermory 10yo is a nice and easy-drinking everyday dram.
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:18 am

i think your onto somthing there with casks being matured at deanston.
i was in doune talking to some folk a while back and they mentioned somthing about excess space or somthing like that for the amount that deanston made themselfs, ive got a pretty crap memory, but your comment rung a bell.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Re: Tobermory 10YO

Postby mellowD » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:34 pm

Nose: green apples, eau de cologne, faint peat.

Palate: sweet, malty, slightly minty, liquorice, eucalyptus.

Finish: well rounded malt, short puff of smoke at end, more minty sweetness.

Notes: lip smacking delicious, fresh, restorative.

I think once you get past the fact that this is sort of a Highland (rather than an Islay), you can embrace what Tobermory has going on. Almost no peat, but maybe that's a good thing after all.

For those craving a peat monster from the Isle of Mull, seek the Ledaig non-sherry finish. Tobermory 10 only uses peated water (not malt so as to sell it for blends).

I find it very drinkable and non-phenolic for a younger whisky.
mellowD

Postby Dscotland » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:42 am

i have to agree, opened it up 3 nights ago and have been enjoying it every night , i`ll be re stocking it when its all gone
Dscotland

Postby lohssanami » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:59 am

I thought it was rather bad the first time I tried it. The nose was almost a smell of cheap wine, and if it hadn't tasted better than the nose I would have spat it out. The finish seemed a little short, and at the time, I figured I would have to force myself to drink it again.

However, I believe WillieJJ said always give a bad dram a second or third chance as it can always get better when you expect nothing. I think he was the one who said it..and I tried it again, and it was indeed better than the first time.

I would keep it and try it with an open mind. I got my bottle for $27.99 US, and I don't regret paying for it after the second tasting changed my opinion.

It's all about personal preferences, and as you can tell by these replies, some really like it and others think it is just passable.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby mellowD » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:16 pm

2nd dram tasting notes.

Nose: More peat than first noticed. Some floral notes
(Bowmore without the sea?)

Palate: Bittersweet chocolate

Finish: Again, noticed more peat than first dram.

Comments: Past samplings seemed nuttier and slightly maltier, but not as good. This latest wave has improved. I have stuck with them, because I like the idea of a mild Islay that I can enjoy everyday, and not put me in the poor house ($24.99 US at most recent purchase).

:P
mellowD

Postby woodhill » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:20 pm

Collector57 wrote:My bottle is getting low, which shows I don't find it as bland as many people seem to. Perhaps it's unfashionable but I rather like it.

Every bottle is bound to get low when you've had it open long enough!
:)

Having said that I've got a few stuck at the back of the cupboard which have had one or two drams of and tried to forget about.
woodhill
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Tobermory , Tobermory 10 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder