Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg OMC where is it aged at?? location ??

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Ardbeg OMC where is it aged at?? location ??

Postby ckennedy » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:09 am

Question

where is the ardbeg OMC aged?? I am thinkng about the 1975 27 yo Ardbeg! Just wanted to know where it is aged at??
ckennedy

Postby dram_time » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:58 pm

I would guess it spent a little time on Islay until DL bought the cask or cask’s, then it would have spent quite a while in the DL storage area, not sure where this is, Glasgow maybe??

I’m sure some one will be along to explain further, and to answer your question correctly…

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:46 pm

I've wondered this from time to time as well, not regarding this particular bottle but others from Douglas Laing, and from other independant bottlers too. Do distilleries just send out samples of casks they have for sale, and wait for a buyer??
If you write directly to Douglas Laing, they'll probably respond ckennedy. I had a response in less than 24 hours from them once regarding one of their Old Malt Cask Ardbegs.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:51 am

The blurb on the leaflet in one of my OMC bottles suggests the cask spends at least some of its time in DLs warehouse in Glasgow. It states these are bought as "Distillery fillings" so they may even spend all their maturation time in Glasgow although none of this is explicitly mentioned.

I'll be attending a tasting with one of DLs nosers on Burn's Night and will ask her if you've not heard anything by then (that's if the sight of me in a kilt doesn't make her run a mile....)
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:37 pm

ck, stop obsessing. Buy it! Drink it! Enjoy it! The wood it's in is far more important than the location at which it was matured, and DL has an excellent reputation for picking them.
Deactivated Member

Postby ckennedy » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:42 pm

Thanks Mr Tattie

I am not obsessing - :roll: .. Just wondering - :lol: .. just wanted to know where it lived!!
ckennedy

Postby vitara7 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:13 pm

with an IB bottle it could have been stored almost anywhere, but i feel it makes no real differance to the whisky.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby susywong » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:40 pm

Hi guys!

We keep all of our casks at the distillery where possible! Our bottling hall in Glasgow isn't large enough to store all of our stocks! When we have tasted it for quality, we transport it from the distillery to the bottling hall!

Hope that answers your question!

Susan @ Douglas Laing
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby dram_time » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:33 pm

susywong wrote:Hi guys!

We keep all of our casks at the distillery where possible! Our bottling hall in Glasgow isn't large enough to store all of our stocks! When we have tasted it for quality, we transport it from the distillery to the bottling hall!

Susan @ Douglas Laing

yep, that about does it,,
Thanks susan.

How about the OMC Scapa 23y/o, whats that like??

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:35 pm

Tastes just like chicken.

(Smart*ss....)
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:19 pm

susywong wrote:Hi guys!

Susan @ Douglas Laing

Wow, info doesn't get any better than that!!! Good to hear, thanks Susan! And happy holidays and a happy new year to you all at Douglas Laing!
Di Blasi

Postby dram_time » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:07 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Tastes just like chicken.

(Smart*ss....)

I like chicken...

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby ckennedy » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:20 pm

fish here :shock:

I think this was good a question to ask! and looks like I got a interesting answer to boot! Thanks Susan!!

Now is that peppered chicken or lemon?? are was that oak on the fire?? :lol: :)
ckennedy

Postby vitara7 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:48 pm

good to hear it from the horses mouth, now all we need is someone from diageo to post on here to answer our questions...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby dram_time » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:26 am

dram_time wrote:
yep, that about does it,,
Thanks susan.

How about the OMC Scapa 23y/o, whats that like??

Dt.

Seriously though, I don’t think that came out right, and I didn’t mean to sound like a smart*ss.

It was a genuine question about the OMC Scapa 23 year old, and what it’s like. I can not find tasting notes for it, and as its £160 cheaper than the Scapa OB 25y/o I thought it would be a good chance to try and older bottling from one of my top three distilleries, but would like to know if its representative of the distillery, or a rouge cask, so to speak.

What I wrote is no where near what I wanted to ask !! ( to much Tennents I fear..)

Sorry if I sounded like a smart*ass, or offended anyone (and I probably did both!!) and hopefully susywong could direct me to some tasting notes for the above bottling from DL.

Thanks
Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:40 pm

:shock: No, no, a thousand times no! I was calling myself a smart*ss. Sorry if it seemed otherwise! Ron will confirm that the bartender at the late lamented pub in which we used to hang used this stock answer any time someone asked what this beer or that was like. They eventually made a t-shirt of it. It was a reflexive answer on my part, and I was chastising myself for being so snide. No offense on your part, dt!
Deactivated Member

Postby dram_time » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:28 pm

No worries Mr. T. still never asked what i wanted to though, so if susans about, I would love some tasting notes on the OMC Scapa 23 y/o

Cheers all

Dt.

Its not above my to be a smart*ss though !!
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:35 pm

with an IB bottle it could have been stored almost anywhere, but i feel it makes no real differance to the whisky.

You are kidding, aren't you? :?: :roll:

Of course it makes a difference, especially in the case of coastal distilleries. Please don't buy the lie, and please don't help spread the myth that location of maturation doesn't matter. It's bad enough that Diageo do it. :x

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Do we really know that for sure Admiral?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Admiral » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:58 pm

Yes, yes, yes.

I've had the privilege of tasting casks from a couple of coastal distilleries - both from casks that spent 12-17 years by the sea, and from casks that were transferred to the mainland (or inland) shortly after being filled.

Believe me, you can taste the difference.

And don't just take my word for it: I'm aware Jim McEwan passionately also argues that location is everything.

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:05 pm

I see - I won't question that Admiral and as we both know you have far more experience than I have. Anyway, I'm inclined to be influenced on the matter as I have moved from being staunch anti-terroirist to leave the options open instead. I wonder if a "terroir of maturation " will affect the prices in the future for collectable single malts? Bah, silly question maybe but a possible future distinction maybe when the single malt market explodes.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:31 pm

Here are 2 articles that appeared in The Ileach last August that adds fuel to the fire.....
http://www.bruichladdich.com/latestnews ... arrels.htm
I still say it makes a difference where a cask is stored but i'm not going to get into an arguement about it .
But getting back to the original topic (and not doubting the lovely Susans word :wink: ) but i find it hard to believe that any body elses casks are stored at Ardbeg Distillery , G&M used to have some there but they were removed a few years ago , Laphroaig were storing some of their casks in the warehouses as part of the sales agreement but i don't know if that is still so given that both distilleries have changed hands since then . Also Ardbeg isn't exactly over flowing with warehousing seeing Allied in their wisdom took a bulldozer to some of it pre-1996 , it is also stated in Peat,smoke..... that most older stock is now on the mainland and i have some Ardbeg maturing in a warehouse by the side of Loch Indaal along with Laphroaig and Jura (that is how some distilleries generate extra income , renting out warehouse space ) .
Just my thoughts on the subject.....
Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:33 pm

Being the fan of ardbeg as you seem to be spirit of islay and not an employee of Glemorangie or Ardbeg themselves for that fact I find it hard to see where you can base an opinion on this matter!!! Most Distilleries house casks and charge rent to private owners/independants and are unlikely to let you know all about this when you go on your distillery tours and if by your
But getting back to the original topic (and not doubting the lovely Susans word ) but i find it hard to believe that any body elses casks are stored at Ardbeg Distillery

you are implying that Douglas Laing and Co or rather Susan herself is blantly lying then I feel a retraction and apology is due as why should industry professionals come into the forums to defend their company or to recieve abuse from 'fans' when all their doing is trying to answer any questions and help!!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:02 am

Whoa, ott, beast. Nobody accused anyone of lying. It's a perfectly civil discussion, or was. Susy made a generalization; Gordon rendered his opinion (which, if you've been around here for any length of time, you'd know is usually very well informed) that he thought it unlikely to apply in this case. The only abuse I see here is coming from you. Cool thy jets!
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:08 am

Thank You Mr TH for your defence .
This is really starting to hack me off , anyone can take a certain part of a posting out of context and put it down so it looks like something else .
First off i'd already stated that "that is how some distilleries generate extra income , renting out warehouse space"
Second off , i've met Susan on a couple of occassions and would not say anything of the sort about her , she's a lovely lass and well respected in her trade .
If it's come to the point where i can't post my thoughts on the subject on this forum i will give up , what is it with the aggression ?
I am a fairly shy person by nature , i don't push my self forward in anyway unlike some people when they go to distilleries etc but i get a good welcome and have made many friends at the likes of Ardbeg . I have probably seen things a lot of people would like to see , i know quite a lot that i would never pass onto anyone else ( it's known as friendship and trust) .
If i have offended Susan i apologise but in no way have i given her any abuse , at least not like you've given me !

So the next time anyone asks a question which i know i have thoughts on i'll just say Stuff it ! why should i bother !!!!!

Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:07 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:So the next time anyone asks a question which i know i have thoughts on i'll just say Stuff it ! why should i bother !!!!!

Slainte
Gordon

And hurt my whisky education? How dare you!! :wink: As you shared your opinion, so did the other poster. Just words, misguided perhaps were his, and too quick to judge, but how many of us have done that. Please don't hold back, I learn a great deal from your posts.

Respectfully.

Rich
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:07 am

There seems to be to much taken from my posting, There was at no point any 'abuse' meant!! and if it came across that way then I of course apologise. My point was that Susan is extremely professional and would not have posted anything without knowing wether its true or not! and the original comment I replied to seemed to imply that she may be fabricating the truth for the benefit of the text!

so again I can only apologise Spirit of Islay if in anyway you feel I had personally attacked you.
Deactivated Member

Postby susywong » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:25 am

My response to the initial question asked was simply the truth. I can't speak for other IB's But we at douglas Laing make an extremely conscious effort to keep our casks on site at their respective distillery as we feel central bonds detract from the taste.

On the "Mud slinging" :wink: that's gone on since my previous post, i don't think there was any harm meant. This is the main problem with the written word at times like these. because you can't see the poster's expressions or hear the tone in their voice, you can sometimes be unsure as to how to take the comment!

There have been a few times on the forum i've blasted off, usually ending up with me getting the wrong end of the stick!! :oops:

What i will say though, is that Beast was just giving his opinion, as is his want, and it now seems that he read Gordon's post in the wrong context. Easily done.

SUrely the point of a forum is to allow discussion! Everyone's entitled to their opinion, sometimes it's the "right" one, and sometimes it isn't!! We're all grown ups, so let's just move on, it is the New Year after all!!! :D

Susie
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby ckennedy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:10 pm

Thanks Susan!

Maybe I should start another thread - but I have a question based "partly" on your answer.. Why is it that the IB "bottles" have a diff. taste/etc and totally diff "rating" then the OB ??

This was one of my puzzling question before I started.. IF the cask are kept on site - then why the great degree of diif. in the bottles??
ckennedy

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:30 pm

Hi CKennedy,

Basically a regular OB of say a 10yo Single malt will be a mix of a shed load of casks from the distillery warehouse. Remember Single Malt is a term for a Malt comming from the one distillery not one cask (That is a Single Cask). Therefore when all these casks are mixed together you will get a harmonised Single Malt bottling of all the casks.

However if you bottled a Single Cask that chould of gone into the OB it is more than lightly that it will taste quite different as each cask is very unique and technically no two casks will taste the same.

Then the IB's come into it as they are much smaller operations and are much better equiped to offer single csak offerings rather than the actual distilleries. That is basically why IB's will always taste different as there are more than lightly single cask offerings.

However there should always be a similar charachteristic to both versions.

Don't know if I have explained this well or not but I hope you get the jist.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:10 pm

The point being, different casks will always taste different. Two seemingly identical casks of the same type, side by side in the warehouse, may taste pretty much the same...or not. Part of the magic of whisky! OB's are produced by the distillery to be consistent, to always be the same (in theory), so many casks are vatted together to average out all the differences. IB's are produced specifically to show the difference between casks. Each bottling is meant to be unique. An independent bottler may even choose casks for the fact that they are oddballs, outside the standard house profile.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:26 pm

Thans IWC & Mr T I got the jist of what you said and also your comments weren't to long in my opinion. so easily understood.

:)
les taylor

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:26 am

les taylor wrote:Thans IWC & Mr T I got the jist of what you said and also your comments weren't to long in my opinion. so easily understood.

:)

Yup, big thanks from me too!!
Di Blasi

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder