Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Michael Jackson

General chat and talk about whisky.

Michael Jackson

Postby Jan » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:21 pm

I have just read that Michael Jackson is suffering from Parkinsons disease.
(Source: http://www.maltmaniacs.org/ )

This is very sad news, I have enjoyed his books, articles and tasting notes, his companion was the first whisky book I owned and it taught me the basics of the world of malts.

:( :( :(

/Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:30 pm

That really is sad.
As malt afficionados we all owe him a debt of gratitude.
In as much as is possible, I hope he recovers speedily.
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:55 am

thats pretty crappy news likes, but is it somthing you can recover from? i thought once you have it it just keeps getting worse... fi im wrong then please inform me so.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:04 am

Great shame if this is true :(

My second edition copy of MJ's Companion has lived in the desk drawer in my office since about 1992. His style drifts from the entertaining and anecdotal to the almost clinical, but is never dull. What it always shows is a true enthusiast.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:43 pm

Parkinson's Disease is a common disease worldwide caused by a loss of a neurotransmitter (dopamine) in the brain. It is typified by difficulties with the voluntary control of movement including tremor, rigidity (stiffness) and akinesia (a difficulty in getting movement, particularly walking, started)

The good news is that symptoms are usually controllable with medication. The disease unfortunately does progress with time, usually over a period of 10-15 years. Newer therapies are out there which can slow or even prevent this decline in some cases though most are still regarded as experimental. The most high profile case of late has been the actor Michael J Fox who was diagnosed several years ago. He now actively campaigns for stem cell research which shows great promise in this area and I saw an interview with him on TV recently where if you didn't know his diagnosis you wouldn't have been able to tell.

The third edition Michael's Malt Whisky Companion was the first whisky book I ever bought at a time when I had tried Diageo's classic malts and needed some guidance of where to look next. This led directly to my first purchase of Ardbeg 10yo and if this was the only thing Michael had done to enhance my enjoyment of whisky I would owe him my eternal gratitude. Of course he has done so much more than that and his column is the first page I turn to when I open my new copy of Whisky Magazine.

I'd like to raise an extra dram to Michael. Good luck and best wishes mate. I look forward to your next column.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:57 pm

Sad news, but it sounds he'll be able to continue his passion, and that's good news for us all. (Thanks for the explanation TheLaddie!)
Best whisky wishes to him, and all of you too!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:05 pm

Sad news indeed, but I did wonder if something like this was wrong after seeing him at Whisky Live in Glasgow this year.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Oliver » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:36 pm

I was hoping we could get more news on this -- perhaps a confirmation -- from one of Michael's employers, the folks at Whiskymag --who else?
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:37 pm

Oliver wrote:I was hoping we could get more news on this -- perhaps a confirmation -- from one of Michael's employers, the folks at Whiskymag --who else?

I'm sure Michael will reveal all when he wants to. No-one else has any right to tell us anything unless he wishes it.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:37 pm

TheLaddie wrote:I'm sure Michael will reveal all when he wants to. No-one else has any right to tell us anything unless he wishes it.

No one is suggesting -- or requesting for that matter -- that information be revealed against michael's wishes! Just a confirmation from informed sources that this is indeed acurate. If no one knows, no one knows, that's fine too.
I trust and hope people will have a bit of dignity and no try to pick a fight in a context which deserves a little hauteur to be sure.
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:06 pm

to be honest, its not the easyest of thing to to tell folk id imagine, persoanlly, i wouldnt want even my family knowing i had somthing like that, let alone the likes of us.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:12 am

Oliver wrote:I trust and hope people will have a bit of dignity and no try to pick a fight in a context which deserves a little hauteur to be sure.

I'm sorry Oliver. I had no wish to pick a fight. I was just trying to point out that we should not be asking anyone else to confirm or refute anything. That should be down to the man himself if and when he wants to.

If I appeared to make the point agressively I'm sorry.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:39 am

Ok.
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:43 pm

Laddie thanks for your posting explaining the condition I found it most informative. Thanks.

:)
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:26 pm

Michael Jackson is the Babe Ruth of whisky journalism (beer, too). Murray is maybe the Willie Mays. Ask me which of those I'd pick first for my team, and I'll tell you Willie Mays. Ask me which one was more important, and you'll get a different answer.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:18 pm

Malt-teaser, Nick and I saw him at WL in glasgow this year and he didn't look so well. To my shame I thought him to be under the influence of the ubiquitous freebies until it was clear there was something more sinister afoot.
Best wishes to him and his family.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:04 am

This is indeed sad news and MJ released this information on his beer site. I too started out with his 3rd edition of the Companion and owe his a debt for guiding me in the beginning of my journey.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:16 am

Some good (and somewhat reassuring) info here:

http://www.brookston.org/beer/michael-j ... arkinsons/
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:49 am

Thanks MrT that was interesting. The article eluded that He might have been ill with this for up to 20 years. Yet he has written and done a lot in that time. I guess it will be good to wait for the press release in the new year.

:)
les taylor

Postby TheLaddie » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:08 pm

Yes, thanks for the link Mr T. It is good to read that Michael is in good spirits. I hope many more good spirits will find their way into Michael.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby GreyArea » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:12 pm

Here's hoping he can stay on top of it.

(Thanks Malt-Teaser for pointing out this thread).
GreyArea
Bronze Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:41 pm

I too owe a debt of gratitude to Michael Jackson. I remember well that August day looking at the array of single malts on the shelf and being completely bewildered. Fortunately, the store had a copy of Jackson's Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch and after reading through many different tasting notes decided to buy the Lagavulin 16 (shortly thereafter a salesperson came along and told me, "No you don't want THAT one."). Well I went with Jackson and it has been a terrific journey ever since! Thank You Micheal Jackson and I pray for a full restoration of your health!
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Rob Allanson » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:35 pm

Michael has released the news in the latest mag (WM61) in his column.
It is an open and honest look at what is happening to him.
Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:37 pm

I look forward to reading this.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby lbacha » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:04 pm

I've read his books alot longer than I have enjoyed whisky. I have a couple of his beer books and they are just as informative as the whisky ones. My first comment when I saw the whisky companions was "Is that the beer guy". He has changed alot of peoples perceptions about beer and whisky and I hope all the best to him and his family.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder