Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cragganmore Cask Strength

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Cragganmore Cask Strength

Postby shoganai » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:28 am

Hi Everyone! This is a great site! I've been a fan of single malts for several years, but have only begun to really get into them in the past year or so. This site has been a great source of education.

But anyway, I just came across a bottle of Cragganmore Cask Strength (10y, ~60%abv). The price was about $100, which is a little more than I generally like to pay for a bottle. But I've really enoyed the other Cragganmore's I've tried (12y, DE) and this one has really piqued my curiousity.

I can't find any reviews, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried this whisky and could comment.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:47 am

not tired it, but RMW has it for £39 bottle and it was a ltd edition of 2500 bottles.

from the description, sounds like a sherry cracker
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:57 am

Here's a link to notes from the Whiskyfun website:

http://www.whiskyfun.com/archivenovembe ... tml#111105

Be glad you can get that price, the only place I've seen it wants $195!!!

I've had a Cadenhead's 12yo Cask Strength (60.2% abv) Cragganmore bottled in '95 that was fantastic.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:14 am

Thanks for the link.

I'm still torn on whether to pick it up. I'm in town for three more days, so I have some time to mull it over. Though I imagine I'll talk myself into buying it as a Christmas gift to myself.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:13 am

Well now, I just happen to have a bottle of Cragganmore CS lying around--bought it a year and a half ago for $105. I have opened it this very evening, just for you! The sacrifices we make here at Tattie Heid Central, just to help out our fellow forumites! My only regret is that there isn't a real feinschmecker around to give you proper notes. I will do the best I can.

I had a wee spot earlier, just before dinner, to warm up. After dinner, I finished off the end of a Cragganmore 12 mini, just for comparison. Then I poured a small amount of the CS and watered it, in an attempt to tease out some aromas. Honestly, I have no nose. ("How does he smell?" "Terrible!" ...Ahem. :roll: ) I want to say orange blossoms, although I've never actually smelled orange blossoms; but it's pleasantly and sweetly floral and orangey. Tasting the watered dram, I get burnt bitter orange. Back to the full strength. I usually enjoy cask strength whiskies without trouble, but I've recently had ten days off from dramming, and the spirit is a bit much for me at the moment. Again, orangey, not unlike a Balvenie, but drier, and with what seems like a peaty buzz on the middle of the tongue. Not an enormously long finish, but I don't feel cheated. It's not far different from the 12, but more intense in every way. The one thing I'm missing here is the oily mouthfeel I get from a lot of cask-strengths; I wonder if this has been chill-filtered. Now I'm really going to sacrifice--I'll pour a bit more and water it, to see if it clouds. Results inconclusive...too many greasy fingerprints on the glass! Doesn't seem to, though, and I've watered it pretty far. Seems a shame to chillfilter a cask-strength like this, if indeed they did (I won't claim to have found out). But I will say the more I sip, the more I like--it's a very tasty dram. If you're a fan of Cragganmore, I think this will be worth it. $100 worth? As I've said many times, it depends as much on what you think of $100 as on what you think of the whisky. I don't spend $100 too often, but I think I will enjoy this bottle, and furthermore I think I will get more out of it as it goes along.

I hope you will get some corroboration from a more sophisticated palate than mine, but there it is, for what it's worth.
Deactivated Member

Postby shoganai » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:09 am

Mr. T, your sacrifice is greatly appreciated. A small piece of my faith in humanity has been restored.

The only way I can think of to express my gratitude is to purchase a bottle for myself and let you know what I think of it. I may even pick up a bottle of the 12y to use as a point of comparison.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Jan » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:30 am

Not bad at all, Mr TH.

Sounds rather good, perhaps I should keep an eye out for this bottle.

Has anybody tried the new Cragganmore 17yo?
Jan
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:51 pm

Hi there,

hello Jan, a friend told me it is phantastic. Powerfull and deep and so much richer than the Classic Malt 12.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby sgsoloplayer » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:04 am

speaking of cragganmore, has anyone tried the 12yo Double Matured (in Port)? I saw it in the store yesterday and would like to know anyone's thoughts on it
sgsoloplayer

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:25 am

Cragganmore DE: very good. split personality. BANANAS!
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:26 pm

Mr T wrote:-

I want to say orange blossoms, although I've never actually smelled orange blossoms; but it's pleasantly and sweetly floral and orangey.

Mr T we have a mock orange tree in the garden at Les hq, and when it blossoms in June the smell is fantastic. If you pop round you can try it.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Cragganmore Cask Strength

Postby Lawrence » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:23 pm

shoganai wrote:Hi Everyone! This is a great site! I've been a fan of single malts for several years, but have only begun to really get into them in the past year or so. This site has been a great source of education.

But anyway, I just came across a bottle of Cragganmore Cask Strength (10y, ~60%abv). The price was about $100, which is a little more than I generally like to pay for a bottle. But I've really enoyed the other Cragganmore's I've tried (12y, DE) and this one has really piqued my curiousity.

I can't find any reviews, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried this whisky and could comment.

I've tried this whisky and quite liked it but don't have any notes. If you liked the standard 12 I think you'll like his one.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Jan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:21 pm

kallaskander wrote:Hi there,

hello Jan, a friend told me it is phantastic. Powerfull and deep and so much richer than the Classic Malt 12.

Greetings
kallaskander

Thanks K - will have to chase up a bottle then :wink:
Jan
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder