Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Peaty/sweet whiskies

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Peaty/sweet whiskies

Postby slojo » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:17 am

Two of my current favourite whiskies are Ardbeg Uigeadail and Lagavulin Distillers Edition, and I was wondering if there are any other similar profile whiskies (ie sherry cask islays or similar) that I should try.

I had hoped to try the Bruichladdich Infinity 1st edition but it is hard to find at the moment.

Any other recommendations?
slojo
Bronze Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:56 pm

Certainly the Talisker DE (I have the 1992/2005). I loved it, actaully a great deal more than the 10yo. As I have posted elsewhere, it is only in balance with big peat do I like big sherry.

On the higher end of things, the Laph 30 is stunning and fits the bill.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Re: Peaty/sweet whiskies

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:33 pm

slojo wrote:I had hoped to try the Bruichladdich Infinity 1st edition but it is hard to find at the moment.

Keep looking. You can still get it online from the distillery and most of the big online suppliers. It fits the bill perfectly and is well worth the effort.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:31 pm

a sweet peaty whisky, one of the best that fits both bill exactly is the isle of jura 2006 feis ils bottling, i think they done more of it as isle of jura islands edition. very cheap too.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:52 pm

I was going to suggest a Signatory Brora, available from LFW. Then I thought I'd better finally buy one for myself before suggesting it here again. Alas, it is out of stock. Saves me $150, anyway.
Deactivated Member

Postby Wave » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:50 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I was going to suggest a Signatory Brora, available from LFW. Then I thought I'd better finally buy one for myself before suggesting it here again. Alas, it is out of stock. Saves me $150, anyway.

So far it's still available at Royal Mile Whiskies for a couple of quid less than LFW. 8)
I'd like to get I too, but right now I'm eyeing a Millburn 26yo Sig. :mrgreen:

Another (extremely) sweet peat is a Caol Ila '94 Port Wood Finish that I got at the Islay Whisky Shop during the summer, it still might be found around now. Caol Ila also has a new Distiller's Edition matured in Moscatel cask wood.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:17 pm

What year is the Signatory Brora you are reccomending? My understnading is, and this is based on reading and limited sample of a few tried, is that after 1972 many are not that peaty. I have a Signatory 21yo 1981 that is fantastic, but the peat is very light.

Along this lines, old Clynelish might work as well.

From thewhiskyexchange.com

Clynelish 1972 / 32 years old / 70cl / 49.9% / Single Malts of Scotland
Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky

Category: Single Malt » Current » Highland

£75.00 inc. VAT (£63.83 ex. VAT)

Clynelish 1972 / 30 years old / 70cl / 46% / Independent Bottling
Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky Dundeil Selection

Category: Single Malt » Current » Highland

£85.00 inc. VAT (£72.34 ex. VAT)

Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:28 pm

When you mention Ardbeg Uigeadail, the first thing that comes to my mind is its cousin, Laphroaig 15yo. Some people don't like it, but I'm a big fan myself.

When you're over in the bay area, you can pick up an Infinity 1st Ed. at Beverages and More. I think it's around $75.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:30 pm

Well, I just bought it....

All the Broras I've had have been pretty peaty, all from late '70's or early '80's. I understand some bottlings from '82 are pretty light. I believe they started doing highly peated runs while Caol Ila was being refurbished in the '70's, but I think they continued with that even after that was finished--I assume that's why they kept Clynelish I (Brora) around, but eventually found it redundant.
Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:33 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Well, I just bought it....

All the Broras I've had have been pretty peaty, all from late '70's or early '80's. I understand some bottlings from '82 are pretty light. I believe they started doing highly peated runs while Caol Ila was being refurbished in the '70's, but I think they continued with that even after that was finished--I assume that's why they kept Clynelish I (Brora) around, but eventually found it redundant.

Good point; certainly peatyness is relative. I think that my brain was going for BiG peat and BIG sherry.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

can you say Booooowmore

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:13 am

For islay wood finish you might try Bowmore Dawn and Dusk, although I wouldn't say it's quite a Ardbeg Uigeadail profile.
Below are a couple of links to reviews, that really have nothing to do with anything, just the usual blowhards pontificating, to listen to these guys it sounds like they were drinking and reviewing perfume not scotch, but don't let that influence you, I have both of these Bowmores open now, and thank god they aren't anything like those reviews or I'd be using them for after shave lotion, however they do taste like REALLY GOOD SCOTCH. The kind that when the bottle is done, you say, I'll have to get another bottle of that.

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/b ... ky832.html

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/b ... ky833.html
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby peergynt323 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:30 am

I definitely agree with Dusk. Perfect dessert whisky...I get hints of chocolate in it.

EDIT: This thread inspired me to pour a dram of Infinity. I have to say that I don't find it to be very sweet. Definitely smokey and hot.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:59 pm

A couple of peaty speysiders come to mind. Old Ballantruan (50%abv) and Benriach 10 and 21 are all worth trying.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:17 pm

If you want sweet & Peaty, then I highly recommend the Bruichladdich 3D3.

This is a very peaty whisky, but I also found it to be much sweeter than I expected.
It is gentle, but very peaty and sweet.
A lovely dram.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Ailsacraig » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:35 pm

Hi guys,

A future BIG peaty/sweet whisky will definately be Kilchoman, and that's from bourbons. They've filled some sherry as well. Can't wait!!
At the moment I'd have Ardbeg Uggie. Superb !
Ailsacraig

Postby Bullie » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:39 pm

Oh, in the question af a peaty and sweet whisky, I'd recommend a Vintage BenRiach. The 1984 was a superb example of peat and sweet in a perfect harmony.

Most of the sherry Broras would be in that style as well... Or perhaps a sherry Port Ellen? :D
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:53 am

What about Connemara? The only one I've tried is the one labelled "Peated Single Malt Irish Whisky" (no age statement), but is by far the best Irish whisky I've tried (not saying much since I haven't tried very many).

If it's sweetnes and peatness you're after, this one certainly fits the bill.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:50 pm

I think Laphroaig has sweetness, but it's often not noticed beneath the peat. Also, Connemara is sweet and peaty.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:23 pm

Aidan wrote:I think Laphroaig has sweetness, but it's often not noticed beneath the peat.

I think it is very noticeable in the Quarter Cask, much less so in the 10yo and the Cask Strength 10yo which tend to be much more fiery.

Last week I tasted some OMC 18yo Laphroaig finished in rum casks. Very smooth and sweet but with plenty of that peat that makes Laphroaig so distinctive.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:52 pm

Laphroaig QC is like candy.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:04 am

Candy? That's funny. there's a gal over on the other thread who says LQC, my personal No. 1 laphroaig, tastes like old socks...

...old socks and candy. wow!

As Jim Murray said, reviewing one of his top scorers last year:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I give to you complexity!"

Peaty sweet indeed!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:01 pm

that would be me ! :wink:
It may be that there is candy hidden beneth all those old socks but I haven`t found it .
If I was to choose a sweat and peaty whisky it would be ledaig 1972(well the 15 yo works as well) or a Ben riach or Brora
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:32 pm

Did you mean "sweAt and peaty", or are those "old socks" really that hard to get rid of?

nothing like a lingering aftertaste!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:56 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Did you mean "sweAt and peaty", or are those "old socks" really that hard to get rid of?

nothing like a lingering aftertaste!

Hello,
I think Laphroaig evokes a number of different responses. I personally am not a big fan of the 10 yo, so much so, that when offered to purchase a bottle of the QC from one of my western Canadian friends, I declined not thinking it would be money well spent. But after having the chance to sample, I was hooked and quickly back pedalled and had a bottle sent my way. My tasting notes are some where on the forum. The QC made it on my top 10 favourite whisky list of 2006. Based on the forum comments, I am now quite keen to sample (not too sure how yet) bottlings of the CS, 17 yo and 30 year old - from the sounds of it, sweet & peat would certainly fit the bill along with variety. As for sweaty old socks, I tend to be a stocking gal. :D
Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:12 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
well I meant sweet but sweat works too kind off when it comes to The quater cask .
So if the socks fits then wear them!
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:13 pm

The suggestion of Connemara earlier is a very good one. It is probably a great introduction to the Islay style but with the smooth sweetness of and Irish.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby badams » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:55 pm

Johnnie Walker Swing, in the freeze, straight out of the bottle. Drink half and tell me you dont like it!
badams

Postby Mustardhead » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:40 am

badams wrote:Johnnie Walker Swing, in the freeze, straight out of the bottle. Drink half and tell me you dont like it!

I can tell you without trying it ;)
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:57 am

The Laphroaig Quarter Cask comes to mind.
Di Blasi

Postby PuckJunkie » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:23 am

I wonder if Talisker DE might be along the right lines. Nice and peaty, like the other Talisker expressions, but I think it's sherried. It certainly tastes it.

I'd compare it to the Lag DE, but I've never been able to find a bottle. It's not anything like Uigeadail, but I doubt anything that's not cask-strength will fit that bill. The Lagavulin CS reminds me of Uigeadail quite a bit.

Puck
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Postby Nock » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:37 am

Now you may not want to spend the $$$
BUT
Laphroaig 30yo really combines sherry and peat in a way that is beyond words. It really makes the 15yo look two dimensional. 8)

Still there is the price . . .
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby bjorn » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:10 am

Mustardhead wrote:
Aidan wrote:I think it is very noticeable in the Quarter Cask, much less so in the 10yo and the Cask Strength 10yo which tend to be much more fiery.

I'm finding the CS to have a very definite sweetness, which initially seemed a little off-putting but now delicious. Wasn't there a little controversy a few years back about Sherry Cask suspicion regarding the Red Stripe CS?

-bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder