Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg Very Young.....

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg Very Young

Ardbeg Very Young.....

Postby dram_time » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:33 pm

Another Arbeg Very Young on ebay with a start price of £50. Is this the 'New' price for the AVY ?? and how far wil it go do you think.

Will we see bottles of the Very Young going for £100 within the next year??

And what of the Still Young, will there be this much interest in this bottling from Ardbeg?

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:08 am

ive seen them a few weeks back on ebay go for £90+
i sold one myself for £89 ;)
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:49 am

vitara7 wrote:ive seen them a few weeks back on ebay go for £90+

As good as I always thought Ardbeg 10 was, it is getting better and better all the time..
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby dram_time » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:20 am

vitara7 wrote:ive seen them a few weeks back on ebay go for £90+

Seems its almost at the £100 a bottle level allready then, and there was I saying it wouldn't be that collectable. It looks like i will have to eat my hat.

best wash it first.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:10 pm

90£ for AVY - that's a lot! I'm glad I bought two bottles a long time ago!
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:34 pm

Wow that is alot for the AVY. I got 2 bottles for $50.00 US last summer. I'm planning on opening them but I might have to save them and open the ASY instead (I've got 4 bottles of that). If I remember correctly there wasn't a huge difference between the two at least not at the price the AVY is selling.

I wonder if the ASY will go up when it sells out on the shelves.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:27 pm

dont know, but if i see any VY on the shelfs anywhere, its getting bought
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:21 pm

I got mine in the netherlands and it was the last they had at the store and that was last June. I'm sure there is some hidden in some obscure shop but thats what makes stopping in those small stores so much fun.

The last Jewel I found was a 15 yr old Port Ellen bottled in 1996 by Cadenheads. It was covered in dust and I had to wipe the box off to see the label but what I find it was especially for only $100.00 US.
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:06 pm

last "find" i got was 4 bottles of glen flagler from late70s early 80s in a wee shop for about £11 each ;)
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:00 pm

I just fainted again...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:12 am

vitara7 wrote:last "find" i got was 4 bottles of glen flagler from late70s early 80s in a wee shop for about £11 each ;)

I would only expect to find Glen Grant 5yo in a wee shop. :wink:

A stunning piece of luck. Good job someone who knew what they were about found them.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:20 am

Hmmmmmm .... Looking carefully at the 4 bottles of AVY on my shelf and wondering if my price is so crazy it needs to be increased.

:roll:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:26 am

I'm also wondering if there could be any slight confusion here:

There are two versions of Ardbeg Very Young.

The first was a limited edition for Ardbeg Committee members and was called "For Discussion". Disilled 1997, bottled 2003.
This one is more attractive for collectors as it is far more limited and usually commands prices of around or just above 100 GBP.

The second was generally available during 2004 and is limited, but not nearly as much as the first one.
This one is called "Committee Approved" - Distilled 1998, bottled 2004.
This is still quite available and sells here in Germany for just under €60.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:03 am

M-T i think your spot on, their is loads of confusion over this, and that whats pushing up the price of the normal bottling of ardbeg very young.
if someone buys somthing from me and they think its somthing else through no ault of my own, thats their problem, they should research what they buy more.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:07 am

I'm sure Malt teaser is right I have an empty bottle of the Committee for Discussion bottle. Had to try it as it was the first of the new spirit. However I have kept a committee approved bottle with the little label. I can't believe that has the same value as the original release.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:57 am

Of course Malt-Teaser is right about the two different versions but I'm not sure it is confusion between the two bottlings that is driving prices up. Here's my tuppence worth (a greatly inflated value) on the subject.

Yes the comittee reserve is the more limited bottle and will command prices well in excess of £100. Unfortunately like Les I opened and emptied this bottle (and "approved" it with considerable enthusiasm...) I've got 3 bottles of the later retail bottling, one of which is suffering from evaporation rather more than the others...

The standard "Committee Approved" bottling is still quite a limited release and a lot of this has been drunk. Certainly prices of this has risen sharply even though it can still be found at the original retail price if you are prepared to look hard enough. Not seen one in the UK for a long time though. This is probably part of the whole Ardbeg collecting hysteria at the moment. Prices may well settle down or at least slow down but from an investment point of view (as well as a drinking point of view) if you can get a bottle at 60 Euros then you should. Interest (and thus prices) may well go up again on the forthcoming release of "Nearly There", and "Still Young" may begin to rise again at that time.

When Richard Joynson refers to Very Young as "Very Silly" is he talking about the taste or the prices?
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:16 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:I'm also wondering if there could be any slight confusion here:

There are two versions of Ardbeg Very Young.

The first was a limited edition for Ardbeg Committee members and was called "For Discussion". Disilled 1997, bottled 2003.
This one is more attractive for collectors as it is far more limited and usually commands prices of around or just above 100 GBP.

The second was generally available during 2004 and is limited, but not nearly as much as the first one.
This one is called "Committee Approved" - Distilled 1998, bottled 2004.
This is still quite available and sells here in Germany for just under €60.

MT

Even at 60 Euro that is 15 Euro more than I paid from mine 6 months ago in The Netherlands so even in the retail store market the purchase would have been a good investment then. If you consider the ebay market it is even better.
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby dram_time » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:28 pm

The bottles I have seen on ebay have been the Committee Approved bottles. The one on there at the moment, still at £50 is the same.

I dont think people are getting mixed up here. But we all know what ebay is like, somethings are way to cheap, and others way to expensive.

I just bought 2 5cl bottles, one Pride of Orkney 12y/o and one Linkwood 15y/o. Both bottled by G&M for £2.70 postage included. going to try one tonight, and one tomorrow. going to look up the Orkney one first, hope its HP ???

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:00 pm

dram_time wrote:The bottles I have seen on ebay have been the Committee Approved bottles. The one on there at the moment, still at £50 is the same.

I dont think people are getting mixed up here. But we all know what ebay is like, somethings are way to cheap, and others way to expensive.

I just bought 2 5cl bottles, one Pride of Orkney 12y/o and one Linkwood 15y/o. Both bottled by G&M for £2.70 postage included. going to try one tonight, and one tomorrow. going to look up the Orkney one first, hope its HP ???

Dt.

I had the Pride of Orkeny last night, also bought on E bay. I must say, older G and M bottelings such as this are totally dull, perhaps from caramel, as they all taste nearly the same to me. I know some argue against it making a differnece, but I had 6 G and M samples form different distilleries in a short period of time, and I can sware they have the same dullness to them...

I was told that Pride of Orkney is a vatted, which would mean from Highland Park and some Scapa, but I am not cure of this. It is in the 2006 whisky bible as a vatt. Do not judge HP by this one, please...
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:07 pm

OK, form an orderly queue!

:wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby dram_time » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:24 pm

Drrich1965 wrote:
I had the Pride of Orkeny last night, also bought on E bay. I must say, older G and M bottelings such as this are totally dull, perhaps from caramel, as they all taste nearly the same to me. I know some argue against it making a differnece, but I had 6 G and M samples form different distilleries in a short period of time, and I can sware they have the same dullness to them...

I was told that Pride of Orkney is a vatted, which would mean from Highland Park and some Scapa, but I am not cure of this. It is in the 2006 whisky bible as a vatt. Do not judge HP by this one, please...

Thanks for that, looked for myself upon reading this and it seems that it is a vatting of the two. wonder how much of each?? i would think maybe more Scapa. Will open this one first and try it tonight, have had both from Orkney so will be good to try to pick out flavours in this one. I hope they are not too dull!!! but for 50 pence each, it doesn't really matter.

thanks again for the info.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:40 pm

FYI, seems like a lot of the Ardbeg Very Youngs which seemed abundant in German stores just recently are now all but gone. Some person(s) must be reading this discussion carefully..!
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:10 pm

mrj - maybe it was always selling well in the first place but the shops didnt have any notice that it was running out so they didnt have any to replace with, that would explain the sudden vanashing of the stuff.
the same happened with the rosebank F&F (which deagio have done another supposadly last run of again)
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Related whiskies : Ardbeg Very Young

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder