Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New Bowmore bottles and labels

All your whisky related questions answered here.

New Bowmore bottles and labels

Postby lbacha » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:46 pm

I was just on the Loch Fyne Whisky web site and they have a new label for the bowmore darkest. They also stated that the 17 will no longer be sold in europe and it is being replaced by an 18 yr old expression.

Does anyone know if all the labels are being changed?

Is the 17 yr old being phased out completly or will continue in their travel markets and the US?

Just wondering I saw some articles on it but they arn't that clear, I'm thinking of emailing one of their marketing guys for europe that I know.
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby The Dazzler » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:30 pm

Ibacha,

I am not sure what bottles will be available in other countries however in the UK the range of available Bowmores will be a 12yo, 15yo Darkest, 18yo and 25yo all will have newly designed labels and packaging.

The Bowmore Enigma, 15yo, 17yo and cask strength will continue to be available only from travel retail, the standard 12yo, 15yo Darkest, 18yo and 25yo will not be available from travel retail.

The Dawn and Dusk were to be stopped altogether however I have since heard that the Dusk will continue in some South American markets. All new labels and packaging should be available now and old stocks will start to dissapear

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Oliver » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:44 pm

New labels!
New Bottles!
Its an act that's geting a little tiring and repetitive on the part of SMS distilleries --really their owners....
Some marketing genius told some execs that you had to have paper labels to be noticed on bar shelves, and out the door went the nice transparent Bowmore bottles. [I can only imagine the focus group that led to this dimwitted notion: a bunch of people picked off the street, shoved in a bar asked which bottles they noticed the most easily...none of them whisker drinkers probably....]
Then, other money addicts, this time from Edrington took their cues from a guy with an MBA who said tall bottles stick out more in a bar, and they subserviently took notes... we now have super tall Macallan bottles that look like they contain perfume... (which as it turns out is not to far removed from the truth...)
I think Highland park (owned by...you know it :wink: the Edrington -- can't afford to miss a fad- always willing to lower standards-- Group) changed their bottles 3 times in, what? 6 years? Don't they have anyting better to do?!?

If only these marketers only messed with the packaging it wouldn't be so bad....
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:53 pm

The Dazzler wrote:Ibacha,

I am not sure what bottles will be available in other countries however in the UK the range of available Bowmores will be a 12yo, 15yo Darkest, 18yo and 25yo all will have newly designed labels and packaging.

The Bowmore Enigma, 15yo, 17yo and cask strength will continue to be available only from travel retail, the standard 12yo, 15yo Darkest, 18yo and 25yo will not be available from travel retail.

The Dawn and Dusk were to be stopped altogether however I have since heard that the Dusk will continue in some South American markets. All new labels and packaging should be available now and old stocks will start to dissapear

Slainte

Thanks for the info, I really like the Dawn so I will have to get a bottle or 2 before it disappears like the Voyage did.

I know that they keep mentioning travel retail, and the UK range does the US fall under the travel retail or does it get it's own range.
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:54 pm

Shame Bowmore couldn't go 46% / Non Coloured and Unchillfiltered at the same time ........ but their Marketing Dept says the public don't want it only us small percentage of ( Self Styled ) Whisky Connoisseurs (SSWC was quoted by a guy at MB to one of the plowed mob over their insistance that there was something in Bowmore whisky that was tainting it , the well publicised FWP , he called him a SSWC!) .
Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:38 pm

yes, all going to have new labels at some point.
the 17yo will still be for sale over seas. the 18yo will only be on sale in the uk from what ive been told
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:44 pm

Hi there,

Whyte&Mackay, and of course Jura and soon Dalmore, Bowmore, Highland Park and others have all new packages and/or bottles or are planning to have them soon. Seems some marketing departments were underoccupied in the past.

Loch Fyne writes that the 17 yo Bowmore will be replaced in the UK by an 18 yo. The rest will get the 17 yo as before.

Greetings
kallaskander
Last edited by kallaskander on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby dram_time » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:15 pm

They can put it in any bottle they want but I bet it won't improve the contents!! my Bowmore 12 was so bad its put me off Bowmore completly.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder