Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bowmore 1989-16yr Old Cask Strength?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Bowmore 1989-16yr Old Cask Strength?

Postby Lee » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:58 am

I was doing a bit of shopping today at my local Binny's and happened to see that they had reduced the Bowmore 1989 - 16yr old cask strength from $100 to $60. Has anyone tasted this one? Is it a good deal or was it priced too high to begin with? My heart (and tastebuds) lean toward Laphroaig QC and Ardbeg 10 these days but I am always looking for a new bottle to try! :lol:
Lee

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:53 am

If this is the same thing I tried in the distillery visitors' centre (bourbon barrel?), I thought it was pretty good, and I don't usually like Bowmore at all. Being cs and ucf, it had a very nice texture to it, and I thought the typical Bowmore flavors of which I'm generally not too fond sat very well therein. $60, eh? I'm tempted.
Deactivated Member

Re: Bowmore 1989-16yr Old Cask Strength?

Postby corbuso » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:31 am

Lee wrote:I was doing a bit of shopping today at my local Binny's and happened to see that they had reduced the Bowmore 1989 - 16yr old cask strength from $100 to $60. Has anyone tasted this one? Is it a good deal or was it priced too high to begin with? My heart (and tastebuds) lean toward Laphroaig QC and Ardbeg 10 these days but I am always looking for a new bottle to try! :lol:

It is a very nice clean, peaty and smoky Bowmore, one of the best of the recent Bowmore and priced correctly. At $60 I would not hesitate to buy at least 1 bottle.

Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:10 am

Comes in a nice presentation box too...(at least, mine did)

I got mine mid November and posted that it reminded me initially of a "gentle Lagavulin 12". Have since got to know it better. It also works for me with a few drops of water which seem to bring out the ferny herbal flavours I associate with Bowmore. Very good.

I believe they also released one with a sherry finish. i recall being given, and very much enjoying, a small sample at Milroy's in Soho, but i've since not seen (Tattie)hide nor hair of it, (Bow)more's the pity.

Excuse the wordplay! It's early in the morning(for me) and my lyrical cretivity needs some serious channeling...time to get back into the swing of things after a christmas break with lots of family, gigs and whisky.

Happy New Year to one and all.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:32 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Comes in a nice presentation box too...(at least, mine did)

I believe they also released one with a sherry finish. i recall being given, and very much enjoying, a small sample at Milroy's in Soho, but i've since not seen (Tattie)hide nor hair of it, (Bow)more's the pity.

Happy New Year to one and all.

The second edition was a 16 YO distilled in 1990 and sherry matured (not finished). I haven't opened it yet, but it is apparently not as good as the 16 YO 1989.

Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:20 pm

And fyi "heid" is pronounced "heed". :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:37 pm

I heed you...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Lee » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:04 am

Reggaeblues wrote
Comes in a nice presentation box too...(at least, mine did)

These also come in a presentation box. Looks like I have something to spend my winnings from fantasy football on! Thank you all for the help.

Happy New Year!
Lee

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:51 am

Here are my notes. I have a 100ml sample, so I am having my second taste of this batch now.

70-75- Average
80- Reccomendable

79 Bowmore 16yo 1989 (51.8%, OB) December 23, 2006. Another attempt at this one, based upon a sample from Luis. The peat certainly is very bright on both the nose and the mouth. There is a bit of sweetness right when the malt hits the tongue. There is also not enough complexity for this to be really much above average. Yes, it is enjoyable, but there is also this ever so slight bitter quality that does not seem like it is from the peat. It is The finish is peppery, quick, slightly sour.75, as with the last batch, feels right. I am drinking this in bed, 11:30 in the morning on winter break. Jill and I are hanging out and enjoying a few quiet moments. Malt in the morning always feel so decedent! January 5, 2005. The bitterness seems to have subsided, or at least it is helped with a bit of water. This a straight ahead Bowmore, enjoyable. The sweetness increases with water and some hand warming. Lets call it just outside of recommendable this time. However, Bowmores have been known to grow on me over time. Had I more than a sample, this one conceivably could do the same.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:12 am

if i could get a bottle over here of the bowmore 1989 for $60 id buy it to try it as it works out about £30, and thats great i think for a cask strength whisky, (well not cask strength as it will be vatted to level it out i know)
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:49 pm

Hey Lee, welcome to the forum!
Yes, I would for sure get a bottle or 2 of this! I finally got one in October after tasting it in San Francisco in March, and glad I did. It's excellent for drinking, and limited so good too for collecting I would think. And I too have heard it's better than the little brother 1990. Also, that's a very fair price!! Get 2 if you can!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lee » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:49 pm

My wife just came home today and asked if I had seen the ad for Binny's in the Chicago Tribune. Seems there is a coupon for 15% off all wine and spirits this Saturday the 6th. It's cash and carry on in-stock items only and only with coupon. Looks like I can get 2 bottles after all. :D
Maybe I can talk the wife into a Port Ellen or something :lol:
Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:50 pm

Always nice when the other half supports the habit :)
Lee

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:14 am

Lee wrote:Always nice when the other half supports the habit :)

Yes, sure is, lucky you!! Although I can't complain much!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:10 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:I got mine mid November and posted that it reminded me initially of a "gentle Lagavulin 12".

Yep, I like that description...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder