Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bruichladdich Celtic Nations

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Bruichladdich Celtic Nations

Bruichladdich Celtic Nations

Postby Aidan » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:07 pm

Anyone read the blurb on this bottle? The Irish are Celts and the Scots are Scots and Celts. But it seems the Irish aren't Irish.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:03 pm

Hi there,

a little bit clearer: http://www.bruichladdich.com/trade/products.htm

The Celtic Nations datasheet is the last one.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:10 pm

Thanks Kalliskander

On the packaging and bottle, it says that whisky was brought to scotland by celts returning from Africa. Then the Scots spread the art of distilling around the world when the left Scotland. I think Ireland was a place these Celts passed through.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:12 am

I have a few of these bottles on my shelf, but as yet I haven't had the chance to try one.

Has anyone tried this dram?
Is it any good?
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:14 am

This is supposedly the first in a series (another series!) from Bruichladdich. But I wonder just how many "Celtic Nations" they wil find as whisky producers.

:lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:04 am

hmmmm...... i think they will discover more celtic nations than we ever knew existed.. or maybe just make a few up
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:36 am

He will have them renamed to Scottish nations before the final bottle is released.
Aidan

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:12 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:I have a few of these bottles on my shelf, but as yet I haven't had the chance to try one.

Has anyone tried this dram?
Is it any good?
MT

Tried a dram in my local whisky house with the proprietor.

I have to say (and have reported on the forum before) that we were both underwhelmed at first but last time I was in Ron and his wife reported that it had improved with a little air in the bottle and I agree. I don't think it is a massive departure from a 12yo Laddie but there are a few interesting flavours in there and it's a pleasant dram that's well worth trying.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:37 pm

Well they can also call on Penderyn of Wales and Celtic Whisky Compagnie of France(Brittany has a strong association to the Celts to this day) for the addition of their celtic nations series and of course Germany which was once a strong hold of the Celts during the Roman glory days.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:22 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Well they can also call on...Celtic Whisky Compagnie of France(Brittany has a strong association to the Celts to this day)....

To be quite clear, the Bretons are Celts. There has been a resurgence in interest in the language and culture in recent years, just as in other parts of the Celtic world, and I think the whisky-making is part of that. I've been told that the Breton language is close enough to Welsh for conversation, although the two look quite different on the page.

I wonder if anyone is making whisky in Galicia, the Celtic corner of Spain?
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:17 pm

Hi there,

the next to be released supposedly is a cooperation with Glenora, Canada. The Glenora which is quarreling with the SWA about the use of the term "Glen" in the name and the whisky.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:05 pm

Is there whisky in Kernow?
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:26 pm

Is Cornish like Scots/Irish gaelic or like Welsh?

As you probably know, Irish is quite like Scots gaelic. And the version of gaelic they speak on Islay is very similar to Irish. That said, when they hoisted the Irish flag above Bowmore for our visit, some people complained.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:30 pm

Cornish is (or was!) in the same language branch as Welsh and Breton. It's Manx I can never remember....
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:47 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:It's Manx I can never remember....

Neither can anyone else. At all.
Deactivated Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:39 pm

Nick Brown wrote:Is there whisky in Kernow?

Yes, this is from the BBC website:

Cornish take on Scotch

A Cornish brewer has claimed a first for the county, by producing a new malt whisky.

The makers, St Austell Brewery and The Cornish Cyder Farm, claim it could rival the best Scotland can produce. But no-one will know for eight years when the whisky, which has been put in oak casks, matures.

Roger Ryman, head brewer at St Austell Brewery, said the county's mild, steady climate made it well-suited to whisky production. "With Cornwall being a Celtic region we felt it was appropriate that the county had its own whisky as well," he said. "Our operation down here is tiny but we hope it will be a rival to Scottish producers in terms of quality."

The initial distillation will produce about 1,000 bottles, each of which will be individually numbered and signed by the head brewer when the whisky is ready for release. Mr Ryman said: "It will be quite a delicate spirit, I expect, with a delicate vanilla note from the wood of the casks."

The Cornish product has been made with barley grown for St Austell Brewery at Trerulefoot, south-east Cornwall. The barley was malted at Tuckers Maltings in Newton Abbot, Devon, before being taken to St Austell Brewery, where "whisky wash" was created. The "wash" - a strong, unhopped beer - was taken to the Cornish Cyder Farm for the distillation stage. The finished spirit will mature in the cellars of St Austell Brewery.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Bruichladdich Celtic Nations

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder