Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Aberlour A'Bunadh

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Aberlour a'bunadh

Aberlour A'Bunadh

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:09 pm

Does anyone know the years of ageing of Aberlour A'Bunadh?
Thank you
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:21 pm

Jackson says a vatting of casks "from less than ten to more than fifteen years" old. That really pins it down, doesn't it? I imagine it will vary from batch to batch, depending on what they have. Not putting an age statement on it gives them flexibility. After all, it's what it tastes like that counts, isn't it?
Deactivated Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:14 am

Thank you very much.
Of course, I agree with you; I've bought a bottle of batch n.8 and I'm hungry of information.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:04 am

Yes, the NAS does give them some ability to work with what's available, also the whisky is non chill filtered and there is no caramel added and the make up of casks is between 80 to 100, all selected by hand (and nose). I'm surprised one of the other companies has not copied the practice of announcing a 'batch'.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby lbacha » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:16 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Jackson says a vatting of casks "from less than ten to more than fifteen years" old. That really pins it down, doesn't it? I imagine it will vary from batch to batch, depending on what they have. Not putting an age statement on it gives them flexibility. After all, it's what it tastes like that counts, isn't it?

Does this mean he doesn't know because "less than ten" can be as low as 3yr and "more than fifteen" can go on to infinite. So if we substitute numbers for words it would be like:

3 to 50 years
9 to 20 years
5 to 150 years

All we know is the youngest can be older than ten and the oldest can be younger than fifteen.

Or is the ten and fifteen just switched which makes more sense.

By the way I'm bored right now and putting way to much thought into this.

Ha Ha Ha

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:19 am

lbacha wrote:3 to 50 years
9 to 20 years
5 to 150 years

The distillery was founded in it's current form in 1879 (a distillery bearing the name Aberlour was founded on a different site in 1826 and destroyed by fire in 1879) so your third option is, I'm afraid, technically impossible. Any malt containing Aberlour older than 128 years old would strictly be a vatted, rather than a single, malt. :wink:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:26 am

Mr Picky commends you, sir!
Deactivated Member

Related whiskies : Aberlour a'bunadh

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder