Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

A Question About Jameson 12 !?!

All your whisky related questions answered here.

A Question About Jameson 12 !?!

Postby laphroaigjew » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:49 pm

Hi,
I Think All Jameson Drinkers Know That Jameson Is A Pot Still Whiskey That Is A Blend Of Malted And Unmalted Barley. But I've Recently Been Asked A Question About The Ratio Of Malted and Unmalted Barley In Jameson 12 (That is Jameson 1780)...
I Searched The Whole Internet And I Still Couldn't Find The Answer.

Can Anyone Help Me With This ?

Thanks Ahead... :D
laphroaigjew

Postby kallaskander » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:19 pm

Hi there,

most Jamesons are blends of pure pot still and grain. The proportion of pot still to grain is not known to comon men.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Hi laphroaigjew,

There is two ratio issues to be dealt with here.

Firstly the ratio of Malted and Unmalted barley in the potstill brew itself. Midleton use a multitude of combinations for their different incarnations. Like Jameson 12 yo will have a different ratio potstill to the Powers 12 yo which will again be different to say the either of the 2 redbreast ratios and even the greenspot. All (seemingly) have different ratio brews and midleton will not disclose these ratios.

However we reckon that the rations are between 50:50 to 60:40 either way.

Then there are the casks.

Potstill used in all Jameson would be Oloroso matured (note: matured not finished) and other potstill such as that used in Powers is matured in Bourbon cask only. Midleton VR may have used both in the past but more often than not it is mainly Bourbon cask.

Now to the next part of the equation. Nearly all Jameson is blended whiskey. Whiskey labled 'Jameson', 'Jameson 12yo', 'Jameson Gold' or 'Jameson 18yo' is actually blended with grain whiskey as well as Midleton VR. Therefore we also have a ratio of potstill to grain whiskey and again this is a well kept secret for each of these bottles. But be assured that these do have high porportions of potstill in comparison to malt used in scotch blends. Blending is considered a very important part of Irish whiskey. Otherwise it would not be called a blend but a pure potstill whiskey. You will not see the word blend on a bottle of redbreast or greenspot
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: A Question About Jameson 12 !?!

Postby Aidan » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:07 am

laphroaigjew wrote:Hi,
I Think All Jameson Drinkers Know That Jameson Is A Pot Still Whiskey That Is A Blend Of Malted And Unmalted Barley. But I've Recently Been Asked A Question About The Ratio Of Malted and Unmalted Barley In Jameson 12 (That is Jameson 1780)...
I Searched The Whole Internet And I Still Couldn't Find The Answer.

Can Anyone Help Me With This ?

Thanks Ahead... :D

Saying that pot still whiskey is a blend is a bit confusing. Jameson is a blend, but it's a blend of pure pot still whiskey (whiskey distilled from a brew made from malted and unmalted barley) and grain whiskey. Adrian has the appoximate ratios. I don't know why Jameson are so secretive about their pot stills, as nobody else in the world makes it.
Aidan

Thank you all for your answer !!!

Postby laphroaigjew » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Hi ,

Thank you all for your quick answers...
I just wanted to say that the fact that the irish whiskeys are kept in such a secret with their recepies and ratios of blending is understandble because, all their history was built on wars , traditions , and rebelions that we're only trying to devide themselves from the others.
I think that It's also a known fact that the first documented whiskey was in Ireland so I think they would by pretty protective of it :)

Anyway , thanks to you all... Laphroaigjew
laphroaigjew

Re: Thank you all for your answer !!!

Postby Aidan » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:10 pm

laphroaigjew wrote:Hi ,

Thank you all for your quick answers...
I just wanted to say that the fact that the irish whiskeys are kept in such a secret with their recepies and ratios of blending is understandble because, all their history was built on wars , traditions , and rebelions that we're only trying to devide themselves from the others.
I think that It's also a known fact that the first documented whiskey was in Ireland so I think they would by pretty protective of it :)

Anyway , thanks to you all... Laphroaigjew

Hi Laphroaigjew

Well, I'm not sure if the first documented whiskey was in Ireland (sorry, I don't mean to be pedantic), as there is confusion over the term Aqua Vitae, which was used for a few different things at the time. However, it is probable that whiskey originated in Ireland.
Aidan

Dont mean to disrespect !!!!!

Postby laphroaigjew » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:31 pm

Hi Aidan ,

I really don't mean to disrespect the origins of any beverage but yes, as you wrote its probable that the first documanted whiskey was in Ireland.

Thanks again...
Laphroaigjew
laphroaigjew

Postby Aidan » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:40 pm

No problem at all. I didn't think you were being disrespectful.

I'm an Irish whiskey fan - when it's good, it's the best spirit in the world, for me.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Aidan

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:42 pm

Dear Laphroaigjew

There is the irish whisky Redbreast, available from all whisky shops and even Waitrose. Costs around £28. Comes from the distillery as Jamesons and is 100% Pot Still.

Why have the milk of Jamesons when you can have the cream of Redbreast. :lol:

Yours dog
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby laphroaigjew » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:25 pm

THANKS DOG :)
laphroaigjew

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder