Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glen Flagler

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glen Flagler

Postby brandane » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:48 pm

I have a bottle of Glen Flagler 8 year old. The person I bought it from swears she purchased it when she worked in London in 1965, but the distillery was only built then, so I don't see how she could have (and the whisky still being 8 years old).
It comes in a red velvet bag, has a kind of tacky 60's style label in red with a black stripe, and states the volume is 26 2./3 fluid ounces (which is 70cl) and 70 proof.
Can anybody tell me more about it?
Ta,
Martin.
brandane

Re: Glen Flagler

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:59 pm

brandane wrote:I have a bottle of Glen Flagler 8 year old. The person I bought it from swears she purchased it when she worked in London in 1965, but the distillery was only built then, so I don't see how she could have (and the whisky still being 8 years old).
It comes in a red velvet bag, has a kind of tacky 60's style label in red with a black stripe, and states the volume is 26 2./3 fluid ounces (which is 70cl) and 70 proof.
Can anybody tell me more about it?
Ta,
Martin.

Does it look like anything like this. This bottle is actually from the eighties which is more probable to your story as people usually get a bit carried away with the reminiscences :wink: or an earlier bottle which has no date or age statement.

Image or Image

It is probably worth a few quid either way. The first bottle is priced at £450.00 but remember that is a retail price and you are unlightly to realise that price however you still should be able to make a nice price for it.

Check

http://www.thewhiskysociety.com/viewproduct.aspx?category=31&product=2123

Might be worth contacting them to see if they want to do a deal with you.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:45 pm

the glen flagler in the red velvet bag was the top picture, it came out in the 1980's
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:02 pm

I also have that red one in the red velvet bag in my collection.
An excellent bottle!

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:02 am

I also have that red one in the red velvet bag in my collection.
An excellent bottle!

Yes, but is it an excellent whisky? :wink:

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Dubious datings

Postby brandane » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:42 am

I asked the person I bought it from, and she still swears blind that she purchased it in 1965-69, the period when she was working in London, after that she moved back to Scotland.
It looks like the top bottle in the pics, red with a black stripe, and has the capacity stated as 26 2/3 Fluid ounces. Seems unusual as most I have seen are expressed as cl.
I'm not interested in selling, but I would appreciate a bit more history. I have been told some distilleries would pull a fast one and bottle somebody else's hooch until theirs was ready, but I don't know how true this is. That would explain how it could be purchased as 8 years old, within 4 years of the still's operation. Or, they could be talking cobblers.
brandane

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder