Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Fascinating document on MAcallan's marketing strategies....

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Fascinating document on MAcallan's marketing strategies....

Postby Oliver » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:43 pm

I came across this on the web... A fascinatnig case study on the lauching of Macallan's $9,000.00 decanter....
In it, the marketers gush about (1) the 5 fold return on investment; (2) they talk about they desire to turn Macallan into a brand like Gucci or Benz away from brands like glenffidich or Glenlivet.....(3) they talk about "us" and how the malt drink wants to be mentored so that he can in turn mentor others... and much much more.... MArket research and strategy insights abound !

Here's the link: http://www.tunaweb.com/MarketingAwardsN ... udy/20.pdf

Talk about the war of the decanters, Serge!
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:49 pm

Oliver I feel sorry for your dog. Would he do that was so bad.?

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:02 pm

les taylor wrote:Oliver I feel sorry for your dog. Would he do that was so bad.?

:)

Again, you need to ask MrTattieheid; he came up with the story. And the stuff about my mother -- nice touch there MrTattieheid :x
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Choochoo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:13 pm

I have not been a good Macallan mentor. I will recommend the 10yo Cask Strength as a good buy (but note that the A'bundah is better), and say the 18yo is overpriced, but worth having a glass at a bar/restaurant on a special occasion.

I feel I have let down the market researchers - :cry:
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Oliver » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:19 pm

Choochoo wrote:I have not been a good Macallan mentor. I will recommend the 10yo Cask Strength as a good buy (but note that the A'bundah is better), and say the 18yo is overpriced, but worth having a glass at a bar/restaurant on a special occasion.

I feel I have let down the market researchers - :cry:

:lol: Me too!
I would say just about the same thing regarding what's decent in the Macallan repertoire today.... Bad mentors!
Oh well, considerng their vast profits and increased sales (due in part to expanded distribution) I say they'll get over it :)
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Choochoo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:48 pm

It's too bad as well, at least 4 -5 times a a day I find myself telling someone that "they really need to buy a benz, or buy more gucci".

As hard as I try, perhaps I'm just not at Macallans desired demograpic level - shame. :wink:
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:48 pm

Most young males believe that there are only three worthwhile single malt distilleries. :roll:

Macallan says Mercedes Benz but they mean Grey Goose, Hennessy, Cristal and Patron...that's the market they're trying to hit.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:21 pm

peergynt323 wrote:Most young males believe that there are only three worthwhile single malt distilleries. :roll:

Macallan says Mercedes Benz but they mean Grey Goose, Hennessy, Cristal and Patron...that's the market they're trying to hit.

Yeah. They even do a lot of product placement in Hollywood movies... I remember one where one of the really really bad guys was drinking Mac 25. He ended up being shot, and before that he was made fun of for his penchant for $200 whiskies... I'm sure not what the edrington group had in mind in the first place.... :P
Oliver
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder