Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Signatory Unchillfiltered Collection Highland Park 1990-2005

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Signatory Unchillfiltered Collection Highland Park 1990-2005

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:00 am

Hello, I was wondering if anybody has tried this bottle, or one very similar? I saw it in a shop near me (Yokohama, Japan) for 4800Y ($40US, 20GBP). I have never tried an independent bottling before, so I am curious to sample this, especially as I love HP12 and HP18. Thanks!
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby Choochoo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:24 am

I just finished my bottle of Signatory UCF HP 15yo (from 1990). It still may not be the same as the one you're looking at though. Regardless, the one I had was very good. It had a good deal more peaty smoke in it than the OB does. Still, behind the peat was a lot of the honey sweetness that the OB HP is known for. It did take a while to open up, I remember when first opening the bottle, there was so much smoke up front that I though it was a bit 1-dimentional, but with some air, time, and water, many great flavors and smells emerged.

So I'd say for about $40-US it's very much worth getting.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:21 am

I had a '90/'03, but even if I could remember it, it wouldn't really tell you anything about the bottle you're looking at. IB's are bound to be variable--that's the point, really--and as Choochoo notes, will often differ from the standard bottlings by quite a lot. That's what's fun about them! Are you familiar with HP generally? Having a point of reference is a good thing. It's not just a bottle of whisky, it's a learning experience! (And it has to be admitted that occasionally you won't like the lesson...you need to be able to see that as part of the fun, as well.)
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:23 am

And I gather you are a Talisker fan....
Deactivated Member

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:58 am

Thanks Choochoo! I will definately get it...an HP with extra peaty smokiness sounds good!
Thanks again for your help MrTattieHeid, and yes I am a Talisker fan :D
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby Choochoo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:31 pm

Cheers! And let us know your thoughts on it once you try it. I'd be interested to hear if it is similar to the bottle I had.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder