Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Secret Treasures Glenlivet 1978-2003

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Secret Treasures Glenlivet 1978-2003

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:03 am

Hello, I was wondering if anybody has tried this whisky, or one similar? Is the Secret Treasures range any good? I have never tried an independent bottling but would love to sample this whisky, as I really like Glenlivet 18. It is priced at 8600Y ($73US, 37GBP). Thanks for your help!
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:08 am

That's quite a nice price for a 25yo. Is it cask strength, unchillfiltered? If so, I'd bet it was awesome,as have been several similar Glenlivets I've tried. Even if not, I'd think it a pretty reasonable gamble.
Deactivated Member

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:53 am

Hi MrTattieHeid, thanks for your reply. It's 44%, not sure if it's unchillfiltered. Have you ever tried a Secret Treasures bottling?
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:23 am

No, and don't think I've ever seen one. Might it be specifically for the Japanese market?

44% isn't cask strength, but it's better than 40%. Probably not ucf, as such are usually 46% and up (below that they tend to cloud, which is cosmetic and unimportant but puts some people off). The unchillfiltered Glenlivets I've had have all been utterly splendid. I'd love to try what you have there, but unfortunately can't vouch for the label. But if you like Glenlivet 18 anyway, I'd say this was a fair bet, especially for the age and price. I haven't had a whole lot of Glenlivets, but I've never had a bad one.

Anyway, be patient--someone here will have had some experience with Secret Treasures, even if it is Japanese-only.
Deactivated Member

Postby PeatPirate » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:35 am

Hey Kiwiboy,

I've tried some secret treasures:

Highland Park 17Y 1985/2002 44%
Rosebank 44% 9Y 1992-2002
Mortlach 12Y 1989-2002 44%
Linkwood 25Y 1976 44%

Secret treasures are bottled by the "moray malt company" I don't know if this company still exists.

A Dutch whisky trader bought some stock from the swiss distributor. You can still find some bottles over here. The are rather cheap (Linkwood 25Y USD 60,00/Rosebank USD 30,00)

Ik like the Rosebank and the Linkwood a lot (still have a closed bottle of both)

The HP isn't too good if you ask me. But a good indy HP is hard to find anyway :-)

Greetz PP
PeatPirate

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:39 pm

Hey thanks PeatPirate, that helps me out a lot.
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:03 am

In my market we have the Secret Treasures Isle of Jura and Tamdhu and we've had Glen Elgin and a few others but never The Glenlivet. All the ones that I've tried have been good solid drams well worth the money and the price quote seems a bit low and thus a great deal. A bit of a no brainer I suspect, let us know your thoughts if you do decide to make the purchase.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder