Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig 10 yo C/S

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Laphroaig 10 yo C/S

Postby kbanifaz » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:32 am

I bought a bottle yesterday and I've had a few drams of it since. I'm new to the Islay's and initially I thought this would be too much to handle.

The first dram I had out of the bottle I felt was extremely smokey and refined, I liked it alot. Since that first dram however, I've felt as though even though complex it's finish is just pure alcohol. I can't taste anything in the finish other then just alcohol. I've splashed some mineral water, a couple of times.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm just wondering why my initial take of it was so different. I liked alot at first and not so much today.

It feels too firey and gasoline like now for some reason.
kbanifaz

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:43 am

I am not an expert but here are my thoughts:

First let me say that I really like the C/S, I prefer it to Uigeadail...just not every day. I have to be in the right mood to drink this, otherwise it can be a bit like drinking diesel :shock:
Also, I like to have a couple of beers or a couple of drams of something a bit less explosive before sipping this fiery, peaty monster. Try pouring a glass, adding just one drop of mineral water and leave it standing while having a couple speysiders, maybe a talisker...then go for it! If you still can't hack it don't worry about it, many people find it too much and theres no point drinking something you don't like just because it's rated highly!!
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:43 am

First off, you will get used to the alcohol taste. After that it's more a matter of whether it numbs your taste buds.

This is a point of contention among whisky enthusiasts, but I'm part of the "dilute it down to 40-50% ABV" crowd. I usually go about 5:1 or 6:1 whisky:water with Laphroaig C/S.

It's important to let the whisky and the water marry. Wait till it gets cloudy and uniform--maybe 10-15 minutes. In other words, sip slowly.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:56 am

It's a pretty hefty dram and I usually reserve those for the last of my drinking sessions. Your palate will also be a little more prepared instead of experiencing a shock. Also, you could dilute it with water - or as one would with spicy food - dilute it with your own saliva.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:50 pm

As you drink it, of course...spitting into your glass is so gauche.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:52 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:As you drink it, of course...spitting into your glass is so gauche.

8) We have a saying in Norway to describe people who drink a lot:
"He/she doesn't spit into the glass"
Mr Fjeld

Postby DramMeister » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:It's a pretty hefty dram and I usually reserve those for the last of my drinking sessions.

Usually I would too, but just occasionally I like to sneak up and give those taste buds a real good shock.
I just opened a bottle of CS recently after not having one for a couple of years. Wow I'd forgotten how good it is.
kbanifaz: I remember it took me a while to appreciate it when I got my first bottle. I think it takes a while to find the right amount of water for your taste.
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:59 am

Personally, I do not enjoy the Laphroaig 10yo Cask Strength.

For some reason, it has an unusual flavour that seems out of balance to me. The standard 10yo is much more preferable, but I actually think the Quarter Cask is the best of the three.

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:08 am

Admiral wrote:Personally, I do not enjoy the Laphroaig 10yo Cask Strength.

For some reason, it has an unusual flavour that seems out of balance to me. The standard 10yo is much more preferable, but I actually think the Quarter Cask is the best of the three.

Cheers,
AD

Interesting. Don't you think the CS's texture is smoother, more viscous, then the thinner standard 10 year old??
I agree, the CS seems sweeter -- hence the comment about balance -- but still what a dram. And since I always thought that the standard 10 was a little dusty...I think the CS's sweetness balances out the LAphroaig flavours: The CS really bring Laphroaig's level up a notch!!
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby shoganai » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:09 am

It's been a while since I've had any Laphroaig other than the QC (beside than the dram of 10YO I had on New Years Eve, but that was after a long night of Merlot so it may as well have been moonshine), but I remember liking the cask strength. I guess that's not really saying much since I like just about everything. Unfortunately my notes were lost in a hard drive crash this past summer so I can't tell you exactly how much I liked it. I am however tempted to go grab another bottle this weekend and let you know.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:29 pm

Hih, it's funny how tastes differ. I like Laphroaig a lot. Laphroaig 10 CS is the very best Laphroaig in my opinion and it is the second best whisky I have ever tasted. QC is 3rd and normal 10yo is on 4th place. Then comes Port Ellen 18yo, 25yo and 21yo Glenfarclases, Linlithgows (among them Rare Malts St. Magdalene), Taliskers, Highland Parks. And for instance, 15yo Laphroaig is not on my top 10, it's barely even top 20 stuff. :D
Ize
Silver Member

Postby DramMeister » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:50 pm

Ize wrote:Hih, it's funny how tastes differ. I like Laphroaig a lot. Laphroaig 10 CS is the very best Laphroaig in my opinion and it is the second best whisky I have ever tasted. QC is 3rd and normal 10yo is on 4th place. Then comes Port Ellen 18yo, 25yo and 21yo Glenfarclases, Linlithgows (among them Rare Malts St. Magdalene), Taliskers, Highland Parks. And for instance, 15yo Laphroaig is not on my top 10, it's barely even top 20 stuff. :D

You didn't say what was top!
A nice list there. You're not a Ardbeg or Laga fan?
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:48 pm

spitting into your drink.... thats a new one, even for us tight scottish folk. i mean, ive heard of folk putting their faulse teeth into their drink when they go to the toilet to stop folk from nicking it, but gobbing in your own drink, man, surely thats a new low... :oops:
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:02 pm

vitara7 wrote:spitting into your drink.... thats a new one, even for us tight scottish folk. i mean, ive heard of folk putting their faulse teeth into their drink when they go to the toilet to stop folk from nicking it

That was quite funny :lol:
but gobbing in your own drink, man, surely thats a new low... :oops:

......and this was even better :lol: :lol:

It's not as bad as it sounds though.......it tastes alright. You just had it in your mouth so what's the problem anyway :wink:
No, it has to do with the termperance movement. If offered a drink they would spit in contempt.
Mr Fjeld

Postby vitara7 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:05 am

ill take your word for it Mr Fjeld, but youd never catch me doing it... each to his own i guess...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Ize » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:04 pm

DramMeister wrote:You didn't say what was top!
A nice list there. You're not a Ardbeg or Laga fan?

So far Lagavulin 16yo (b.2001) is the best I have tasted. :)
Lagavulin DE 1986 (b.2002) is hanging on top 20.

What comes to Ardbegs, which are not on my top 20, the ones I have tasted have too much (wetty) sheep's wool taste in them. Sheep's wool taste describes perharps most closely the white spirit (turpentine) taste I receive from 10yo and milder from 17yo Ardbegs. Same (wetty) sheep's wool bothers me in Bowmores too, but in those it is more into exact sheep's wool direction rather than into white spirit.

Heh, I hope my description above is understandable. :)
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Lugarteniente » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:05 pm

Try the best alternative: Laphroaig 15.
Lugarteniente
Bronze Member

Postby Ize » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:45 am

Laphroaig 15yo is on my top 20 but not in top 10. In Laphroaigs what I love is the aggressiveness. So the balance that comes along with 15yo is not good enough to compete with the attitude of the prosecutor that especially Laproaigh 10yo CS has.:)
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Wave » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:32 pm

I add a couple of drops of spring water to open up the flavors. Every time I drink the Laphroaig CS I taste something entirely different but ever present is the huge wave of peat that I so love so dearly. There are a lot of great Islay whiskies but there's nothing like the Laphroaig 10yo CS! :D

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:38 am

kbanifaz wrote
It feels too firey and gasoline like now for some reason.

OK, here's my words of widsom or as some would have it words of stupidity.
First off, I'd drink Laphroiag CS all day long, and wash it down with the 15 year or 10 year. But that's not my words of wisdom.....

Scotch whiskies are like people, they all have their own personality, you don't approach them with a preconceived notion of what you like, or what you'd like them to be like, or what you want them to be to make you happy. Instead, you accept them on their terms, take them for what they are and you'll enjoy everyone of them, even the cheap ones.
And scotch like people can appear to have a different character from the last time you visited them, so they might be firey from time to time, of which you may or may not appreciate sometimes.
I could say more, but "a word to the wise is sufficient" (not my quote)
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby shoganai » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:00 am

Finally managed to track down a bottle and have had a couple of drams so far. This stuff is way too powerful for me to drink without adding water and I actually have to add a fair bit of water in order to enjoy it (nothing even close to the 2:1 H20:whisky ratio recommended on the bottle). But when the right balance is struck, this is truly wonderful stuff.

It definitely has all of the characteristics of Laphroaig 10, but there is a lot more oakiness and sweetness in the CS. The oakiness is similar to what I detect in the QC, but the sweetness is a bit different. I just can't put my finger on the flavor difference right now. I will definitely open a bottle of the QC before I finish this and do a side by side test. Maybe if I get ambitious I'll open a bottle of the 10 too and do a full side by side by side comparison. That should be a fun night. Currently have too many other bottles open for that.

The finish is partly sweet, partly ashes on my tongue.

I still think I prefer the QC over the CS. The full bodied, syrupy mouth-feel combined with that truly robust and dynamic flavor profile just can't be beat in my book.
shoganai
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder