Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Looking for a very light and mellow single malt

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Looking for a very light and mellow single malt

Postby kbanifaz » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:41 am

I'm looking to buy a bottle for my grandfather as a gift. He's more of a wine drinker but wants to experiment with whisky as he loves the nose but not big on the taste. I wanted a light and maybe sweet, floral whisky for him to try. He's liked the Glenlivet 12 so far, but not most of the others. I wanted something that was much better then the glen 12, I'm particularly not big on that malt.

Can you fellas recommend a really good but light weight whiskey?
kbanifaz

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:07 am

I would seriously consider a Signatory Rosebank. I love mine. A truly "gentle dram" but with a long finish.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby kbanifaz » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:17 am

Sounds good. I'm also in CA, how much did you pay for it?

Have you tried the Balvenie 12 yo D/W? if so, what do you think of it?

I've heard good things.
kbanifaz

Postby les taylor » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:22 am

You couldn't go far wrong with a Highland Park 12.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kbanifaz » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:26 am

I have a HP 18 yo and he thought that was a bit strong as well. I'm looking for something very light, with a very smooth and maybe sweet finish.

I've had Balvenie and Glenmorangie suggested, but I've never tasted either one.
kbanifaz

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:42 am

If your looking for smooth with a nice bith of sweet you could do worse than getting some Irish.

Try a Jameson 12yo which is much nicer than the regular Jameson or Jameson 18yo and Midleton VR if you have more money to spend which is a nice gift.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby kbanifaz » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:52 am

The VR is a bit out of the price range it's about $140 US here.

I might try the Jameson 12yo. Would that be a good dessert Whisky you think?

Maybe I should try a good dessert whisky.
kbanifaz

Postby dram_time » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:57 am

I would reccommend anything from Auchentoshan'. The 'Select' is very light and soft. And also very fairly priced. Might be worth a look.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:02 pm

I suppose jameson could be considered as a dessert whiskey to some but it does have a good flavour profile

Light would be Tyrconnell Single Malt (Quite malty nose with pear and apple)

Or even knappogue Castle but I have not tasted the 1994 version that is available at the moment.

Balvenie 12yo Double Wood to me is quite light and not very taxing on the palate. So it might be a good one for him to start on.

Nose: Sweet and sherried
Taste: Very Smooth sherry but a bit bland for me
Finish: short

Or with a bit more taste profile but still on the mellow side.

Auchentoshan Three Wood

Nose: Heavy Sherry & Malt Notes
Taste: Sweet sherry with Dark chocolate and Orange , cough mixture and toffee
Finish: Smooth and medium length
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby les taylor » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:14 pm

Glen Moray if you really want light and slightly sweet. Its also very cheap about £15 in the UK.
les taylor

Postby kallaskander » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi there,

consider to try a Benromach.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby kbanifaz » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:43 pm

I was hoping there wouldn't be too many options in this category, there is always so much to chose from.

They all sound like good choices. Any body tried most of these recommended whiskies and what was your favorite?

I'd like to narrow it down to two or three maybe, that would make it easier to chose.

thanks
kbanifaz

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:58 pm

I'd recommend Glenmorangie 10. and i'd also agree with the suggestion of Auchentoshan Select. Both light, sweetish, inexpensive and available.

I tried some whiskies on a young female singer(a whisky virgin!) working with us New Year's before last - Balvenie, Ardbeg...but she fell in love with Glenmorangie 10 and has been drinking it ever since!

I've heard it's a bit variable, but this Christmas the most surprising dram I had among all sorts, including some nice heavy Islays, was an Edradour 10. Creamy as custard over apple pie. Lovely!

Personally, I find the Balvenie 12 rather less accessible, and heavier than the 'Morangie. Ditto Auchentoshan 3 Wood. I love it, but I think it'b be a bit heavy for what you want.

Try 'em yourself first, if at all possible...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:06 pm

Light and flowery:

One of the biggest hits of my tastings of 2006 was Bladnoch G&M "CC".
Deactivated Member

Postby Wave » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:07 pm

My favorite "light" whisky is the Dalwhinnie 15. The Benromach Traditional is also a nice light whisky, inexpensive too.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:09 pm

Hi there,

hello reggae I hope your friend sobers up sometime again. :lol:

I can recomend the Benromach Tradional. Under 10 yo but verry mellow, fine and rewarding. Takes some time in the glass but then it rewards you with a multitude of fine aromas and flavours. Extremely well balanced, rich but of all the flavours it has nothing dominates. Young but a very good dram. The 18 and the 21 yo are superb, a bit more expensive, though.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby toshie » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:05 pm

Bladnoch would be my recommendation too, but the Flora and Fauna range
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:16 pm

toshie wrote:Bladnoch would be my recommendation too, but the Flora and Fauna range

Yes, also very suitable!
I also agree with the F&F Rosebank.

For me, light and flowery is best accommodated by these two Lowlanders.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Glengoyne 10, a clean and light whisky with emphasis on maltiness. Indepndent versions of Tomatin are very nice and fit the bil, not the current OB 10 though. The Aberfeldy 12 that is new to the US is a light whisky with sherry accent, good for someone taking the step up from blend to malts. I agree with Balvinie 12 and/or 10. Depending on price, since he lives Glenlivet, perhaps a nice older Indy bottle that will still highlight the malt and floral qualities, but perhaps add some depth from oak influence?
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Choochoo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:24 pm

Of everything mentioned so far, I'd say the ones that sound most light, sweet, and maybe floral are the Glengoyne (the 17year old is very nice) or Glenmorangie (10yo is light, easy drinking, and very tasty).

Auchentoshen select is a good malt, usually low priced, but it's a bit underwhelming and kind of grainy.

And if you happen to see any Bladnoch that is bottled by "Connoisseur's Choice" - buy it. It's the lightest, most floral/sweet, delicate stuff I've ever had.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:52 pm

I agree with Rosebank, in particular the version of Gordon & MacPhail "Connoisseurs Choice" 1990/2005.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:04 pm

I would definately go for Bruichladdich 10/12 because it's so sweet and malty with butterscotch and over-ripe pear on the tongue - and in the nose!
It's a guaranteed success without almost any smoke and also perfect for a wine interested person because it has a certain resemblance with a good quality German Riesling! Before you decide on what to get I'd seriously consider going to a bar or another place to smell the bottle or have a drink. Satisfaction guaranteed - altough without any fourteen days money back guarantee!
Mr Fjeld

Postby dram_time » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:21 pm

Mr Fjeld,

Dramming a laddie 10 right now. I would have said it was a little harsh, its a very nice drop don't get me wrong, but i wouldnt class it as light and sweet. Theres a fair amount of spirit in mine anyway!!

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby lambda » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:28 pm

I agree with dram_time, but I think this also holds for many lowland whiskies. They are indeed light in the sense that it contains many light flavours such as citrus, grassyness etc, but to me many of them are not so light in terms of how easy they are to drink. I think he might be happier with one of the sweetish speysiders that were suggested above.
lambda
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:32 pm

I would agree with Christian entirely, and add Scapa 14 to the list. dt, that's the first time I've ever heard 'Laddie 10 described as harsh and spirity, but if it seems so at 46%, maybe the Scapa's 40% will fill the bill. No ill swill!
Deactivated Member

Postby dram_time » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:48 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I would agree with Christian entirely, and add Scapa 14 to the list. dt, that's the first time I've ever heard 'Laddie 10 described as harsh and spirity, but if it seems so at 46%, maybe the Scapa's 40% will fill the bill. No ill swill!

My laddie 10 has the 'Floaters' in it!!, maybe thats the cause??. But seriously, its not that harsh, but it is way harsher than a Auchentoshan, or a HP 12 for that matter, which i also have open, and if your looking for a smooth malt, i dont think a laddie 10 would be it.

Even though i am enjoying one at the moment :D

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:08 pm

Laddie is definitely briney. It is the gentlest of the Islays though.

If you live in L.A., you should check out Beverages and More. Apart from having great deals on popular single malts (Lagavulin 16yo for $70!), they carry a number of low and high-end independent bottlings (unfortunately no Douglas Laing).

http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.asp?sku=00000069312&Dn=68+168&Nr=Store%3A01&Ntt=rosebank&N=168+0&Nty=1&D=rosebank&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All

There is a link to the one that they have available. The one I bought does not look like that--it's the normal everyday signatory bottle with an almost clear malt in it.

From your description I would choose between these three:

Glenmorangie 10yo
Cragganmore 12yo
Rosebank Signatory

Three different regions, but with the same flowery, gentle profile. Read the tasting notes and reviews and see which one is the most appealing. I prefer the Rosebank because of the 15-second finish.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby heatmiser » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:50 pm

peergynt323 wrote:If you live in L.A., you should check out Beverages and More. Apart from having great deals on popular single malts (Lagavulin 16yo for $70!), they carry a number of low and high-end independent bottlings (unfortunately no Douglas Laing).

If you live in southern California it is well worth your time to check out Hi Times (Costa Mesa, CA) and Wine & Liquor Depot (Van Nuys, CA).

Wine & Liqour Depot has some of the best prices across the board and makes Beverages & More (aka BevMo) seem expensive. In addition they have a HUGE selection of IB's in stock. Almost as many as their OB selection.

Hi Times tends to be a little more expensive than Wine & Liquor Depot but not by much and still makes BevMo look expensive. Most importantly I doubt you will not find a larger selection of spirits in stock anywhere else in the US.

http://www.hitimewine.net
http://www.wineandliquordepot.com

BTW - Hi Times has the Lagavulin 16 for $49 & ships anywhere in California...
heatmiser

Postby lbacha » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:20 pm

Try Knappogue Castle 1994. It is very lite with a very nice grassy malt flavor and it has a touch of bannanas on the nose. I know it is an Irish single malt but well worth trying and for the price $27.00 US. You can't beat it.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:22 pm

Thanks for the link. I lived in Irvine for 6 years and never made it out there!

I see they have my prized Dun Bheagan Clynelish as well.

I'm gonna stock up this weekend.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:26 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:
toshie wrote:Bladnoch would be my recommendation too, but the Flora and Fauna range

Yes, also very suitable!
I also agree with the F&F Rosebank.

For me, light and flowery is best accommodated by these two Lowlanders.

MT

Can you still get the F&F Bladnoch. If so let me know where. I have an old bottle with the wood presentation box. I would like to get one to drink.
Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:50 pm

lbacha wrote:Can you still get the F&F Bladnoch. If so let me know where. I have an old bottle with the wood presentation box. I would like to get one to drink.
Len

Royal Mile Whiskies appear to have it in stock at the new higher F&F price.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby DramMeister » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:21 pm

My suggestions:
Glengoyne 10
Glenfarclas 10 or more
Glen Grant 10
Glenlivet 18

in fact anything starting with Glen.
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Lee » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:22 pm

My suggestion would also be the Glenmorangie 10. I have never had anybody who has tasted it not like it.
Lee

Postby lbacha » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:34 pm

Mustardhead wrote:
lbacha wrote:Can you still get the F&F Bladnoch. If so let me know where. I have an old bottle with the wood presentation box. I would like to get one to drink.
Len

Royal Mile Whiskies appear to have it in stock at the new higher F&F price.

Thanks

I didn't see it there last time I checked.
lbacha
Gold Member

Next

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder