Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Where do you most enjoy drinking your fave whisky & why?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Where do you most enjoy drinking your fave whisky & why?

Postby GBaxter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:22 am

What locations (be it at home, at a particular bar or restaurant, or any other location/s outside of home) do you most currently enjoy drinking your current favorite whisky and bourbon and please say why, for each location named.

If this has been discussed before (here or elsewhere), please give any links.
GBaxter

Postby les taylor » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:38 pm

At home no worries about driving there.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:42 pm

At home, cheaper, quieter than a bar. Better selection (usually!).
Best is probablyl at home with friends or at a friend's home :D
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby lbacha » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:03 pm

On Islay,

Nothing beats sitting in the distillery drinking a dram of my favorite style while the future bottlings are being made 50 feet away.

Normally it is at home with friends.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:14 pm

I'd love to be able sit in a leather armchair by an open fire in a quite pub but not much hope of that around here.

Therefore for me it is in ow armchair quitely appreciating what my ball of malt has to offer. Aaaahhh ...... Now that is the life ..... 8)
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:55 pm

At home, on my own once everyone else has gone to bed. No distractions.

Would love to try the Islay tasting though. One day...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:31 pm

There's nothing better than a comfy, friendly pub in walking distance of one's home. Nothing like that here, so most of my dramming is done right where I sit now. I do really, really enjoy my annual month in Scotland, though, as well as some favorite pubs in various places when business takes me on the road.
Deactivated Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:41 pm

In someone else's' home, so that I'm not drinking my own whisky!

Failing that, by the roar of a big log fire in a quiet county pub (there are still a few like that in Merrie England) or out of a flask on a windswept Cornish cliff top or Scottish moor.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Dan G » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:04 pm

At home, after my wife has gone to bed, sitting by the fire, reading a good book, some (not to mellow) jazz on quietly, and a cat on my lap.
Dan G

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:49 pm

In my loft, watching the sun set over the bay. 8)
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:55 pm

At home in the "hobby" room with a film on the telly, whisky in the Glencairn and all by myself!

I do enjoy good company at a bar I rarely go out. Whisky always tastes better at home without ventilation etc.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Wave » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:40 am

With the totaltarian laws about drinking and driving plus a smoking ban in place at the taverns I stay home in me little abode and enjoy my whisky & smoke! 8)

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:57 am

Wave wrote:With the totaltarian laws about drinking and driving plus a smoking ban in place at the taverns I stay home in me little abode and enjoy my whisky & smoke! 8)

Cheers!

Some of my best drinking 'moments' have been with a fine malt in one hand and a fine cigar in the other in a dark and smokey pub, but I fear that that will soon come to an end when people who know how I should live my life better than I do will get there way!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Lee » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:57 am

Definitely at home! Usually watching a little TV before bed. There's no better way to relax after a long day of work.
Lee

Postby rthomson » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:04 am

Good question(s)!

As with others I do nearly all of my dramming at home. I don't have a pub with a decent malts list within walking distance and it definitely saves money to drink from bottles that I purchased.

Nevertheless, my ideal place would be a cozy neighborhood pub. I like the atmosphere of a friendly pub and I prefer to drink in a social environment, even if I choose to quietly dram by myself.

Cheers,
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:06 am

has to be on the homeland, islay. nothing better when its the festival and your in the lochside or the machrie, great stuff..
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:08 am

Anywhere and anytime, as long as I can share it with my friends. That's when I enjoy whisky the most...
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby wieslaw » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:14 am

Appreciating scotch is like handling poetry, an activity that requires solitude or sharing with those of like mind/taste.
wieslaw

Postby Ann-Helen » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:23 pm

At home after the kids have gonne to bed and I can relax.
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Favorite dramming spot

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:48 pm

Sold my favorite place in October, my next favorite is the relocated Whisky Lair, in the basement where we are now living. It's top drawer when, surrounded by the collection and a couple of like-minded friends, we dram into the wee hours, sharing the collection.
Good conversation, fine whisky and a furnace roaring away in the corner. Creating new shared memories to fondly recall in later years.
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:07 am

Ah, the poor smokers, who must now indulge their habit at home. Meanwhile, the rest of us are finally free to go out and enjoy a pint and a dram without being assaulted!
Deactivated Member

Postby Bullie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:12 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Ah, the poor smokers, who must now indulge their habit at home. Meanwhile, the rest of us are finally free to go out and enjoy a pint and a dram without being assaulted!

Couldn't agree more... (And this comes from one who loves a cigar once and a while.) But just the fact that you don't smell like a cigarett-butt the day after visiting a pub, makes it worth skipping a few havanas...
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:28 pm

Weislaw wrote "Appreciating scotch is like handling poetry, an activity that requires solitude or sharing with those of like mind/taste."

couldn't agree more. whisky is like "poetry for the palate."

On the othr hand, i love a dram whilst cooking.

...and I for one can't wait for the smoking ban, sorry!

Even though we reggae folk like the odd smoke(!) other people's collective smoke not only inhibits breathing, but plays havoc with the voice, if , like me , you "sing for your supper." I've actually taken to turning down gigs which i remember as especially smoky...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby dram_time » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:29 pm

Paul A Jellis wrote:Failing that, by the roar of a big log fire in a quiet county pub (there are still a few like that in Merrie England) or out of a flask on a windswept Cornish cliff top or Scottish moor.

I did the Scottish moor thing last week!! up in the hills with 10cl of Scapa 14y/o. really cold and windy at 500m above sea level. But a crystal clear day over the islands and surrounding moutains. Well worth the walk. The dog 'flushed' six stags from behind a hillock, nice to see. And best of all when i get home, theres a roaring fire to sit by to warm up.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Mustardhead » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:33 pm

In the dark out in the great outdoors while watching a camp fire or a Primus stove cooking up a big pan of corned beef hash.

At home on my own with my feet up, some good music on the hifi and a good book in my hand.

With friends, wherever.

In an old non-smoky country pub.

Almost anywhere really...but with friends and in comfort count very highly!
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Thesh » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:07 am

In my bedroom with my stereo blasting. Preferably with Primus or Anthrax. Why? Because I like it.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:17 am

Strangly enough my husband loves primus too , but I don`t !
So he can`t play it when i am around, or there will be hell to pay!!
He listens in way that I don`t ,he usually says to me listen to that guitar and to me it just doesen`t matter. I listen to the rythm of the music if it doesen`t make me want to move I don`t want to hear it.
I very very rarly drink whisky and listen to music.
But maybe I should get some ear pluggs so my husband can enjoy Primus and I can enjoy a whisky while he listens to primus, hmm, don`t think so :twisted:
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:30 am

I'm not into Primus either--or Rush for that matter and it seems that those bands are a package deal pretty much. The PhD in music bands. I almost think that music education is counterproductive when it comes to songwriting.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:22 am

at home.... drams are nice and atmosphere is good, relaxed...... one can really get more flavour I find.... though bars/pubs do offer a nice atmospher at times (with friends ).... just prices are a bit of a shock at pubs... :shock: :(
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:38 am

A warm summers eve, on my deck, listening to the sounds of the trees, the birds, the insects. With my wife and like-minded friends.

Or, if I am on my own, there might be a fine cigar involved. :)
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby eddie c » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:49 am

:D hi everyone just new to this form and new still to computers ( although young in age so should be better) so please bear with me, my fav place has to be at home in the back garden with my family or freinds 8) on any day as long as it is dry.
eddie c

Postby les taylor » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:03 pm

Hi eddie and welcome to the forums. What do you like to drink?

:)
les taylor

Postby eddie c » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:46 pm

Thanks les :D. Icurrently have in the house a Bunnahabhain, Jonnie Walker Gold Label, Bowmore or a Dalwhinnie 15 year. Don't think i could possible have a out and out fav. No such thing in my book as a bad whisky just ones that are not for me. Read in this issue of Whisky mag of a good Bunna 30 year old will try and convince that wife it is a good idea to let me get a bottle :lol: sure she will come up with a more boaring way to spend the money :( . Any idea of the cost of this bottle
eddie c

Re: Where do you most enjoy drinking your fave whisky & why?

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:01 am

On a Friday night after the wife and kids are in bed, down in basement den, reclining back in a lazy-boy, with a tumbler of scotch that i can reflect on as i read a book or surf the web with lap top.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Re: Where do you most enjoy drinking your fave whisky & why?

Postby Ganga » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:30 am

Well, I have lots of places. At home on a chilly winter's eve with a warm fire to sit in front of.

In the House of S'tan. Great place to enjoy some lovely whisky and good company.

On WhiskyMag. Nice way to share some thoughts about whisky with others during the live tastings.
Ganga
Matured cask

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder