Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Royal Lochnagar 12

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Royal Lochnagar 12 Years Old

Royal Lochnagar 12

Postby ResIpsa539 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:18 pm

Has anyone here tried the Royal Lochnagar 12? I read that it's the main malt in JW Blue Label, and am thinking of picking a bottle up. What do you think?
ResIpsa539
Bronze Member

Postby Wave » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:16 pm

I wouldn't think a 12 year old would be the main whisky in JWB, if that were the case then the Blue would be much more overpriced than even I thought possible! :?

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:35 pm

I love the suff, Christmas in a glass, lots of rich fruit notes, a touch of smoke without any peat, and a great long finish.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:56 pm

Now this is strange! Just got back home after a trip to London. whilst waiting at the station on my way into town, i went round the co=rner to an indian "Deli" to buy a snack. i was amazed to find an array of fine malts, including Talisker, Ardbeg, Macallan, and a few rare bottlings...i settled for a pair of minis, including a Lochnagar! I'd only tasted it once before, long ago

I had dinner, and i've just opened it . I came to the forum...and here's this thread, with the very same dram already on my palate!!

i would say it's very fine, but not outstanding. it reminds me of the macallan Fine Oak 10 which was gifted me. Nothing wrong with it...but I don't think I'd buy a bottle. For this "weight" of whisky, i'd rather a glenmorangie 10, or Portwood...or a Glenfiddich 15, all of which have either more complxity or depth IMO.

You pays yer money...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:49 am

Wave wrote:I wouldn't think a 12 year old would be the main whisky in JWB, if that were the case then the Blue would be much more overpriced than even I thought possible! :?

I think he meant Lochnagar generally, not specifically the 12.
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:57 am

lochnagar is used in JW blue, but its not the main componont malt, but its the older quality casks, the same and simalir ones that are used in royal lochnagar selected reserve.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:56 am

As I remember the RL 12yo was rather dry and malty, not too exceptional, but worthy of a bottle. One of those I rate at an 80 or average, but glad I tried.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:06 pm

From my tasting narratives..

Reccomendable, just shy of whiky

84 Sm Royal Lochnagar 12yo (No alcohol statement, OB, 50ml, circa. 2000) November 28th. I have not made tasting notes yet, but this is a really lovely dram. Sherry, malt, and gentle smoke. Second taste of this sample, I will say it is flawless and wonderfully crafted, but lacks a touch of oopmh. Great balance between the three dominate elements, with the malt being the clear winner on the mouth, some gentle spiciness at the finish. Cookies with vanilla. Perhaps a bit soft of a nose for true greatness, but one I would like to have a full bottle of, not just this sample.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:21 pm

its not too bad a whisky, its by no means a ledaig, but its nothing to write home about.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Related whiskies : Royal Lochnagar 12 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder