Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Old Malt Cask "Advance Sample"

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Old Malt Cask "Advance Sample"

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:48 pm

Rather than hijack the "Platinum" thread I have started a new one to ask a question about the following bottle:

Old Malt Cask
Port Ellen
Cask No. 655
Refill Butt
Distilled Sept 1978, bottled March 2004
Natural Cask Strength 61.1%

This description fits with the Platinum range, but the bottle has the presentation of the normal (50% vol) OMCs.
It is also labelled as "Advance Sample" for Alambic Classique.

I have just the one of these and it will be used in a forthcoming "Gourmet" evening, but I would like to ask if anyone is familiar with this, or similar, presentations?
It just seemed strange to find a normal looking OMC at over 60%.

If anyone has sampled this one, I'd appreciate your tasting notes too.

Thanks,
MT

Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:21 pm

I've had a couple of these. The highlights being a Macallan 25yo, a Blair Atholl. Ron gets a few into the shop and has about 6 different ones on the shelf at the moment. They are a very good way of dipping into something unfamiliar with out blowing silly money. They have bottled some very special whiskies in this size. Worth seeking out.

Edit: Sorry. Just had a closer look at the bottle to see it is a 700ml. I'm used to seeing the label on the 20cl bottles they do. :oops:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:38 pm

I picked up a trio of this series in the 20cl size with a Dallas Dhu 24yo, Glenturret 16yo, and a Glenburgie 12yo. A good way to try an ample amount for exploration of something not easy to come by. Never seen the big bottles or that particular Port Ellen. The Port Ellen I had was an OMC '78-'02 @ 50% abv. Good while it lasted, but won't replace that one.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:08 pm

I bought quite a few of these on my last two trips to Scotland cause they could be easily stored in my backpack. My favorite one of all so far was a Caol Ila 17yo Sherrycask finish, an absolute stunner! Others included Caol Ila 10yo, Glenrothes 17yo, Laphroaig 12yo, Longmorn, Mortlach and a couple Port Ellens, atm I'm nursing an Advance Sample PE 22yo '83 from a refill hogshead at 50% alc/vol. :D

I've never seen an "Advance Sample" for Alambic Classique or any of them at cask strength except for a couple of 70cl OMC's. I'd love to see some tasting notes of that PE if you ever decide to open it. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:09 am

The thing that caught my eye was the strength...61.2% after 26 years in a butt!!!

I can't say anything about the quality of the dram, but clearly the angels didn't think much of it!! :wink:

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:46 am

Don't forget that at that time, Diageo was filling at full strength off the still, about 68% instead of the standard 63.5%, supposedly to save warehouse space (although that sounds a bit like urban myth to me). Still, it's very high for that age, and it seems to me that most PE's are really up there--most of the ones I've had were 59-60+%, with the lowest 56.9%. Makes you wonder whether perhaps they distilled to an even higher percentage than 68%. The top five by percentage in my inventory are all Diageos, 20yo+, topped by a 20yo Talisker at 62%. (I have an 11yo Glenora at 64.1%, but that's another story.)

Edit: I should say Diageo's predecessor, UD or DCL.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:15 am

Thanks for your comments.

I guess I shall just have to wait until opening time and yes, of course I will post some tasting notes for it.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby susywong » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:21 am

Hi Guys,

The Port Ellen in question with the different label was bottled exclusively for Alambic Classique in Germany. They chose the cask, and decided that they would prefer a larger version of the 20cl label to be applied instead of the normal OMC label.
Alambic also chose to to bottle it at cask strength!

The whisky is of the same quality as OMC, but bottled at a different strength, with a different label, so when you taste it, you can be assured of it's quality!

Cheers!
Susy
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:30 pm

Many thanks for your help Suzy, you have now truly whetted my appetite and I look forward immensely to opening this one during my Gourmet whisky evening.

I'll definitely follow-up with some tasting notes.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:53 am

Mr Picky is always pleased to find anyone who knows that appetites are whetted, not "wetted". 8)
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:50 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Mr Picky is always pleased to find anyone who knows that appetites are whetted, not "wetted". 8)

Maybe Mr Picky should be more forgiving of those who are whet behind the ears :twisted:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:09 am

:roll:

Mr Picky is trying hard these days to encourage those who do well, rather than criticizing those who don't.

8)
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:05 am

Mr. Picky is a man after my own heart.

:lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:07 pm

Edit: oops not paying attention :oops:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:26 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:Mr. Picky is a man after my own heart.

He's actually not hungry at the moment....
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:13 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Malt-Teaser wrote:Mr. Picky is a man after my own heart.

He's actually not hungry at the moment....

Relieved of bayern
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:15 am

MrTattieHeid wrote::roll:

Mr Picky is trying hard these days to encourage those who do well, rather than criticizing those who don't.

8)

Mr Picky is doing an excellent job.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder