Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How often do you......?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

How often do you......?

Postby Lee » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:50 am

After reading through several posts from long time members, I can't help but be impressed by the size of some collections. This led me to wonder how long some have been buying single malts and also how often purchases are made.
I have only been buying for a little over a year and have only amassed 22 bottles so far. It seems that I go on buying binges about twice a year (usually around the holidays). I also sporadically check for sales at the local stores. Haven't bought any online yet.
I looked to see if this has been covered before but didn't find anything. Be kind if I missed it :oops:
Lee

Postby vitara7 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:54 am

ive been a whisky collector for abut 15 years, but only started to buy large bottles in the last 5 years, used to collect miniatures, got rid of them all and started on big ones, right now i have a collection of about 450+ diffrent large bottles.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:18 am

I think we might have had a similar topic, but it was a long time ago, and maybe it wasn't quite the same question.

I go on a minor binge when I visit Scotland every October, buying 8-10 bottles (now have to watch airline limits--NW Airlines supposedly only allows 5 litres). I buy sporadically through the rest of the year, normally a bottle at a time. I'm surprised to see I bought 31 bottles in 2006--didn't think it was that many--34 in 2005, 29 in 2004, and a mere 18 in 2003, which seems to be when my interest really started to pick up steam. I have 61 bottles inventoried before that, but I didn't start noting purchase date until late 2002. (Note lots among all these are empty--I have 82 still with contents, six actually open.) There probably weren't very many bottles before I started keeping inventory--I didn't get interested in whisky until after I first went to Scotland in '98, so it was probably 15-20 a year.

One so far in '07!

You didn't ask, but I opened 16 in '06, and at least 25 in '05--only started tracking that in Feb '05. Finished 14 in '06 and at least 19 in '05--yikes, I'm slowing down!

I'll bet most of these numbers are low compared to many of the lunatics around here.

Hmmm...I finished a bottle of Talisker 18 nine months before I opened it.... :?
Deactivated Member

Postby Lee » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:45 am

Mr. T
Does that mean you keep your empty bottles around? What do you do with them? (Hope that doesn't draw too many comments!!) I have emptied 3 bottles in the last year and still have them. Not too sure the wife is too keen on that!
Lee

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:08 am

Lee wrote:Mr. T
Does that mean you keep your empty bottles around?

No, it doesn't--just that they are still in my inventory.

But I do have an awful lot of them. :oops: I'm supposed to peel the labels off and put them in a book....
Deactivated Member

Postby Wave » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:24 am

I've been collecting and drinking SMSW for about 20 years, but I didn't have nearly the amount of bottlings as you after just 1 year. :shock: It takes a lot of time to amass the collections some of us "lunatics" have. It looks as though your starting off on the right track to lunacy! :wink: :lol:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:24 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I'm supposed to peel the labels off and put them in a book....[/size]

I wish I'd thought of doing that 20 or so years ago. Some great labels from disappearing malts....what about that mystery Campbeltown that wasn't a Springbank or Glen Scotia in about 1984....my Macallan 25 Anniversary, all I have left is a rough old pine box...the labels would stimulate the failing memory!
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:04 am

The growth of your collection doesn't just depend on how often you buy new bottles.

It also depends on how quickly you're drinking the ones you already own! :D

(In my case, I'm certainly buying bottles faster than I can get through them :) )

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:23 am

First, Lee, I'm envious of you, living in the Chicago area and having access to Binny's you are very blessed. I have been at this single malt thing a mere 2 years, amassed 128 different bottlings, of which about 60 (or replacements thereof) are still on shelf and 15 still untried. I limit my "binge" purchases to 3 or 4 times a year during long trips, (I live in a dry county, you know), with an occasional stray bottle or 4 here and there. I'm loving the exploration, camaraderie and joy of the pursuit along the way. Don't worry about covering old discussions, with all the new members, its time to rehash and renew old topics, anyway. Speaking of which...never mind, I'll start a new thread about it.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:21 am

I've been drinking/collecting whisky for alittle over a year now (other than the occational jameson and JWB) and my collection (opened and closed bottles) reached 100 bottles alittle before my 1 year anniversary. I had the pleasure of living in Europe for half of that first year so it really helped my collection and tasting (4 festivals in 3 months 400+ different malts tasted).

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:21 am

I have been collecting malts for something like 12 years, but this is my collection and not drinking stock!

At the moment it comprises 363 bottles and is growing slower than it has in recent years.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby dram_time » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:45 am

Hi Lee,

**Slightly off topic**

There was a thread or poll somewhere here,

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5014

about collecting verses drinking. Some members, myself included, have pretty much two collections. I have a load of standard bottles mostly aged from 8 – 14 years. These are generally the cheaper malts, £13 - £40 a bottle and can be replaced at any time, this forms the drinking stock so I am not really sure if you could call it a collection as such?? As I intend to use them up some time. I buy these bottles when ever I see them cheaper than normal or if they take my fancy, but mostly because I want to try them some. Just got to make the time!!!

Where as my proper ‘collection’ consists of some older and rarer stuff, lost distilleries, limited releases that kind of thing. And I wouldn’t just dive into it and open any old bottle for any old reason.

Its fair to say I buy more than I drink, and It would be embarrassing to say how many bottles I bought last year!! Some were opened and finished but most were not!! But I would bet there are members here who buy a lot more than I do.

This year, so far (12th Jan) I have bought..

5 x 70cl Malts
1 x 70cl Blend
3 x 5cl mini’s

Maybe I should get another hobby???

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:30 pm

I started collecting in 2001 when I realised that some Irish Whiskey Millenium bottles may be very limited but it turned out that they where not :(

Anyway I got seriously into it in 2004 when at that stage I have only about 10 bottles in my collection after 3 years :shock: by end of 2004 I had increased to 33 in the IWC 'official' collection :wink: By end of 2005 it was 97 bottle and by end of 2006 it had increased to 202 :shock: So as you can see I lost the run of myself last year. I also bought over 50 other botles for consumption but I presume I have at least half still to open :roll: I had not bough anything in nearly 1 month but put in an order for 4 bottles to open yesterday :oops:

I hope to really cut back this year though. Slippery little slope it can be.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:17 pm

I do wish that there was a good secondary market for whisky. One good thing about wine is that highly rated bottles will always be worth at least what you paid and you can sell it any day of the year.

Anyway, I finally started an unopened collection--mainly because I have too many enjoyable whiskies to keep open and expose to oxidation. I keep 12 open bottles (not counting my mistakes--the stuff I give to visiting friends who are less picky than I am).

I'm seriously considering a Brora 30yo. Has anyone from the U.S. nto received a bottle from Royal Mile EVER?
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:49 am

I just got a bottle from RMW last week. The package was very discreet, and the customs declaration form said "Collector's Malt" with a valuation of £10 or some such. I'm quite sure that no one in the US Postal Service knows or cares what a "collector's malt" actually is. I think some day they'll catch on to this, and that'll be that, but in the meantime we're golden. LFW does the same, and it's worth comparing prices and shipping fees.
Deactivated Member

Postby Wave » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:51 pm

I'm seriously considering a Brora 30yo. Has anyone from the U.S. nto received a bottle from Royal Mile EVER?

I got a Port Ellen 6th Annual Release a couple of months ago or so from RMW, also a Dailuaine Sig Oval Decanter and a Glenury Royal 30yo Sig CS from LFW about a month before that all in very discreet packaging. I was a little ticked off though when the mailman just left the Dailuaine at my door while I was at work, luckily I found it there instead of someone else finding before me! :roll:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:58 pm

Everytime I've got some money to spend, I buy whisky. Or books about whisky. Or go to tastings... All my money goes into whisky, one way or the other... :oops:
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:01 pm

Bullie, your a man after my own heart ;)
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:07 pm

vitara7 wrote:Bullie, your a man after my own heart ;)

Ah, next time I visit central Scotland, I'll pop in to check on your massive collection! :)

Next trip will be around northern speyside though...

Edinburgh in August for Whisky Fringe! :)
Bullie
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder