Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Best price/quality ratio...AGAIN

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Best price/quality ratio...AGAIN

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:40 am

Not bargain malts, not best at any price, but recent topics have me wanting a general idea of the opinions of our forum members on their favorite single malt that was their best value. I can say I liked this or that because it was cheap or that this other malt was sublime and I paid dearly, but where does the balance fall between the two for you? Discussions lately brought me to the conclusion that a Glenfarclas 25yo is the best price/quality I can buy. $100 a bottle is not cheap in my world, but affordable for what I get. Another example would be Laphroaig 10 C/S @ $50. What say you?
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:31 am

Laphroaig 10yo C/S!!! I know it's totally unoriginal to agree with the MM's on this one, but try and name a flavor that it doesn't have!

I think the IB's I've had are the best values. I've found some real gems.

All of the malts I buy regularly are good deals. But it's tough not to marvel at the 10yo C/S.

If you find something that's a great value, buy a case! Listen to Johannes. It won't be around forever.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:40 pm

For me it is some of hte Basic distillery offerings. The following provide super value for the price. Look down your nose at bog standard distillery offerings at your peril from some of the top distilleries. Laphroaig QC is a cracking example. HP 12yo & Talisker 10yo are others as well as some of the IB's as stated prviously. Greenspot (if you can get it) Jameson 12yo & Redbreast 12yo are Irish verions of good value but quality drams.

Some of the small batch cask strength offerings from Buffalo Trace like Geo T Stagg or William L Weller are amazing value if you can get them at US retail prices.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:08 pm

As already mentionned the Laph. CS and QC are great deals.... Also the Balvenie 15 is a good deal since it really is a single cask malt at cask strength. Looking at it that way, its a relative bargain -- though as the prices have been going up at the Balvenie this might not last for ever ....
And I suppose that's the rub; any malt that becomes very successfull will go up in prices rather dramatically. Of course theres the Macallan example, but I think Ardbeg's have been priced very highly these days (and that's a turn off for some). b
But also check out Highland Park a hiterto affordable malt whose masters are doing the old switcharoo trick did the Macallan did 10 years ago with its prices.... THe HP 12 will increase in price; a new 15 will cost the price of the 18; the 18 will cost the price of the 25 and the 25....will be almost double
:x
A classic example of this is the "classic malts" lineup, with the most popular one, the Lagavullin, clocking in at $80 a bottle here in NC, USA, while an equally good -- if not better -- but less popular, Talisker is at $54.
So guys, beware which malts you herald as bargains over the net, you might in fact be paving the way for a price increase of your favorite "bang for your buck" dram! :wink:
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:04 pm

Oliver:" I think Ardbeg's have been priced very highly these days..."

...and I for one have long reckoned the Ardbeg 10 to be my favourite "bang-for -your buck" malt! especially at christmas. I recently paid £45 for TWO LITRES of A10 coming thru' London airport duty free...that's @$90!!

I reckon if A10 was a rare bottling, it could command a far higher price and everyone would rave about it. . For me it holds its own against the new "Beast" at twice the price...

A standard 70cl bottle costs around £21 at christmas time...£26 at other times. Agree also that Lap. QC nad CS are very good value.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:23 pm

Oliver wrote:But also check out Highland Park a hiterto affordable malt whose masters are doing the old switcharoo trick did the Macallan did 10 years ago with its prices.... THe HP 12 will increase in price; a new 15 will cost the price of the 18; the 18 will cost the price of the 25 and the 25....will be almost double

Is this true? I'm looking at the new bottlings on Royal Mile (which haven't arrived at any of my liquor stores) and the prices seem to be comparable. The 18yo increased, but not drastically. When it comes to really good whisky I'm not going to quibble over a $10 increase.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:36 pm

the HP 15yo has been about for a few years, it was only ever on sale in one supermarket chain in the uk though, HP will be increasing their prices, they started last year by shoving the price of their 18yo up 25%.
its the old senario where by at currect prices demand is outstripping supply.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:49 pm

For me a lot of 'best value' malts are cask strength offerings, a few examples are Laphroaig 10yr, the Signatory Longmorn, Ardbeg Still Young, Aberlour A'Bunadh and Caol Ila. There are many others.

If you add a splash of water to lot of these, some are better without, you end up with a litre of whisky for the price of a normal size bottle.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:58 pm

peergynt323 wrote:
Oliver wrote:But also check out Highland Park a hiterto affordable malt whose masters are doing the old switcharoo trick did the Macallan did 10 years ago with its prices.... THe HP 12 will increase in price; a new 15 will cost the price of the 18; the 18 will cost the price of the 25 and the 25....will be almost double

Is this true? I'm looking at the new bottlings on Royal Mile (which haven't arrived at any of my liquor stores) and the prices seem to be comparable. The 18yo increased, but not drastically. When it comes to really good whisky I'm not going to quibble over a $10 increase.

Its a slow process, but I believe that what I described is basically the end result. By introducing a 15 year old, the whole price structure is changed; and it allows for more drastic increases.... It certainly happened with the Macallan: the 18 was at about $50 in the early 2000's and then then 15 took over that price point for a while; now the 12 is almost a $50!! :?
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby BubbaC » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:00 pm

I'd have to agree with Irishwhiskychaser, I think the Redbreast 12 is one of the best deals out there. Amazing whiskey for the price. Ardberg 10 is another fantastic one, and at 35.00 US you cannot go wrong. Generally though, I've found that depending on where you're at(ie-state you live in) The prices vary quite a bit. I was able to pick up a Lagavulin 16 for 64.00 in WVa recently, so that rates up there as great bang for my buck.
BubbaC

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:59 pm

Yes, Yes, Yes: Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig QC + 10yo C/S! All are wonderful and wonderfully affordable whiskies. If I had to choose one I would pick Ardbeg 10. The Lagavulin 12yo at 53.00 euros was one of the best price/quality ratios I have experienced as of late. This price was his retail price! Unfortunately, he sold out rather quickly.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby wieslaw » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:58 pm

Take a drive to New Hampshire, if you're into those ratios.
wieslaw

Postby vitara7 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:13 am

paul, your spot on there, thats the reason i buy c/strength whiskies, if you think about it your getting better value.
plus im tight...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Nock » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:48 am

Up until recently I would say hands down the Laphroaig 10yo Cask Strength. I can get it locally for $60.80 (that includes tax).

I just got back from a trip to Nashville where I found some Ardbeg Uigeadail for $48.99. With tax it was $53.52. Now, this is a newer Uigeadail release and does not have the flip top. I have heard these newer releases are not as good as the earlier versions (the one I loved deeply and paid $85 for).

So I will have to sit down and do a taste test between the Laphroaig 10yo cs and the Uigeadail to see which scores higher and how much difference $7.28 makes.

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:23 am

Aberlour 10, Aberlour 12 and Aberlour a'bunadh for starters, all well priced in this market. From the Islays Laphroaig 10 is a great value and the Murray McDavid offerings from Glen Spey, Glendullan, Tobermory, Ben Nevis etc are rarely seen in this part of the world so you can have an unusual and well priced malt with a non standard finish. They have a lot going for them/
Lawrence
Matured cask

Best value...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:15 am

I may stand to be corrected by Frodo, (who has access to a much larger LCBO inventory than I),but the best value for money in Ontario is Longmorn 15 yo @ $53.95 Can.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:44 pm

vitara7 wrote:paul, your spot on there, thats the reason i buy c/strength whiskies, if you think about it your getting better value.
plus im tight...

Technically you are right but with a higher abv as in Cask Strength that does not mean that your bottles will actually last any longer :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Best value...

Postby Frodo » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:32 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:I may stand to be corrected by Frodo, (who has access to a much larger LCBO inventory than I),but the best value for money in Ontario is Longmorn 15 yo @ $53.95 Can.
Muskrat

Well, I'm thinking of posting a list of whiskies available at the LCBO and slotting them into my Frodometer to give a rating. However until I do this (and I'm not sure I can get a translater working), I'll go with Redbreast 12 or Laphraoig QC as head and shoulders above anything else at the LCBO for me. Tip 'o the cap to Jameson 12. And I do like Longmorn 15 although it did have to grow on me a bit...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:45 am

I hesitate to suggest that my own Frodometer is anywhere near as refined as the one true meter in Canada ;) but here goes ...

Ardbeg 10 - a seriously complex package and excellent value if you can get it for about £20
Laphroiag Quarter Cask - equally good value at a couple of pounds more than Ardbeg
Aberlour 10 - Often available for about £17 which makes it a superb poor man's Macallan
Glenlivet 18 - Available for less than £30 and behaves exactly like a whisky of that age should - smooth, refined and subtle. Great value.
Glenmorangie 15 - Again less than £30 and behaves like it is in its twenties. I think you might have to spend 50% more to get anything as good.

So, just a few which make my second-rate Frodometer tick :)
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:13 am

I'm crying. All of those whiskies at the LCBO are at least twice what you paid...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:27 am

Privatize, Frodo.
Deactivated Member

Postby Wendy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:02 pm

Frodo wrote:I'm crying. All of those whiskies at the LCBO are at least twice what you paid...
Mr. TH said: Privatize, Frodo.

Mr. TH,
You certainly have nailed a contentious point for those whisky-loving enthusiasts living in Ontario! The only privatize shop I see in the near future will be out of someone's basement with the secret handshake et al. To answer the question, Redbreast 12 is the best deal (price wise and quality) for me at the LCBO.
Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:00 am

You should see the low prices in Alberta.................
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby slojo » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:14 am

For me the best bang for your buck here in the UK are Aberlour Abunadh and Laphroaig CS, both available for around £25 ($50).

But you also get some great one-off als from time to time e.g. picked up an HP 12 for £16 a week or two back, and a Glenlivet 15 yo for £15.
slojo
Bronze Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:20 pm

I have to go with Ardbeg 10 right now, I can spesial order it for $38.60 with tax for a 750ML bottle. Not a bad price for a great whisky. I will also add the 4 bottles of Lagavulin I just got for $47.50 at a store in Oklahoma, it looks like that state hasn't realized there is a price increase yet.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Darren Clayson » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:17 pm

Gutted I just bought an Ardbeg 10 for £30.45!!!!
Darren Clayson

Postby lbacha » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:05 pm

lbacha wrote:I have to go with Ardbeg 10 right now, I can spesial order it for $38.60 with tax for a 750ML bottle. Not a bad price for a great whisky. I will also add the 4 bottles of Lagavulin I just got for $47.50 at a store in Oklahoma, it looks like that state hasn't realized there is a price increase yet.

Len

I'm going to quote my own post but I had to I just found Lagavulin for $42.75 a bottle in Oklahoma, They showed me the pricelist for 2 of the their distributors and they both have it that low, This really makes me wonder who is raising the prices.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:20 pm

That is peculiar, Len. It's gone up much more than that about everywhere else. Makes me wonder whether there have been a few palletloads of Lag 16 hiding in a warehouse somewhere in Oklahoma for four or five years. Check the codes....
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:12 pm

Great bargains?

Whoever the 12 lucky people were that bought the incorrectly-priced Whyte & Mackay 40y/o at Heathrow T2 for 99 GBP instead of 399 GBP sure got a cracker of a deal!
:shock:

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:36 pm

Braeval 10 Deerstalker £21, Sig Glen Scotia 92 12 £27, CC Tullibardine 94 and CC Lochside 91, both around £25. These 4 have really impressed me.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby dapa » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:48 pm

In Sweden - Springbank 10 (£31)and Longmorn 15(£25) are real good buys.

But then again i don't know the prices in other countries... :roll:
dapa

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:59 pm

Here in Germany Springbank 10y can be had for just under €40, SPringbank 10y 100 proof for around €52 and Longmorn 15 (litre!) for around €44.

If your Longmorn is a litre then it's a great buy.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby dapa » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:05 pm

is my math off or is it still a good buy?
/dapa
dapa

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:54 pm

Darren wrote "Gutted I just bought an Ardbeg 10 for £30.45!!!!"

You'll just have to drink it more slowly then!

I, on the other hand, had my sister get 2 x 1 litre bottles of Ardbeg for £45 when she came thru' Heathrow duty free at Xmas, from US!

...but I know the feeling. Last October I passed up a litre of Laphroaig QC at Brisbane DF for way under £30. I'm a bit challenged mathematically, and the sums didn't add up 'til I sat in the plane. Too late! Boy, that was a rough ride!

Meanwhile, Glenmorangie 10 is always reasonable, as is Glen Moray...and you shpuldn't have to spend more than £27 on an Ardbeg 10. I have an Ardbeg stock up at christmas when it's 20 ish quid!

I do it every year, sad b***** that I am...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Yellowjacket » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:17 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:That is peculiar, Len. It's gone up much more than that about everywhere else. Makes me wonder whether there have been a few palletloads of Lag 16 hiding in a warehouse somewhere in Oklahoma for four or five years. Check the codes....

Len,
You may already know this, but in case not: The codes are most likely printed on the bottle above the rear label. If they are much older bottles they might be located on the back of the front lower label, you'll need to use a flashlight to look through the bottle to read it. If you can't decipher the year from the code, I might be able to help.

Regards - Yellowjacket
Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Next

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder