Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig 15

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Laphroaig 15 Years Old

Laphroaig 15

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:37 pm

I was just wondering about everyones opinion of this expression, because it never seems to get mentioned when discussing the best Islay malts, and I wondered why? I just read in the Laphroaig C/S thread a post from Ize that stated C/S was his 2nd fav, QC 3rd and 10yr 4th while 15 barely makes his top 20, and this seems to be a typical review of Laphroaigs...whereas I prefer it to all three expressions mentioned above. It is sooooo smooth and delicious and peaty, am I the only one who thinks it's the best affordable Laphroaig, and indeed one of the best OB's out there?
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby ScotchPalate » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:44 pm

I haven't tried the 15, but I'm a big fan of Laph 10. You've peaked my interest in this expression (15). Could you compare/contrast the 10 & the 15? I'd be most greatful.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:24 pm

myself, if im going to buy a lahphroaig, its going to be the c/strength, i mean, the 15yo is a good whisky, but there are better whisky's in my veiw, the c/strength laphroaig is one of them, and a lot better i feel. but as said previously, i tend to go for the c/strength bottles.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:28 pm

I honestly think that the 15yo gets knocked a lot because it tastes so good (I guess for Laphroaig that's a bad thing?). It's a true pleasure dram. There is at least one malt maniac who agrees with us.

http://www.maltmadness.com/mm-cd.html
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby badams » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:28 pm

amongst distillery bottlings

Laphroaig 15 is just a step behind Lagavulin 16 IMO. Better than Ardbeg 17, Bowmore 17, Caol Ila 18, Talisker 18, Clynelish 14 and Springbank 15. Caol Ila 18 is a surpriser though if you've not tried it.

I think Highland Park 18 and Laphroaig 15 are pretty close as being some of the best older island scotches. Springbank 21 being even better than Lagavulin 16.

Under 20 years - isles

1. Lagavulin 16
2. Laphroaig 15
3. Highland Park 18
4. Longrow 14
5. Caol Ila 18

to bad they dont make a Talisker 12 anymore it would be #2! Ardbeg 10 would be #4 including 10-12 year olds.
badams

Postby lexvo » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:35 pm

I also seem one of the minority that likes Laphroaig 15 over the QC and the 10. In points:
Laphroaig 15: 88
Laphroaig QC: 86
Laphroaig 10:84

I haven't tried the CS so I can't comment on that.

So all three very nice, but the 15 is the best for me. Maybe this is a bit unfair as I have finished a bottle of both 10 and 15 whereas I only had a few drams of the QC. However I bought a bottle QC now so maybe my opinion will change over time :)
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Photon » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:54 pm

I tried the 15 recently and found I enjoyed it more than the 10. The peat is still there (and can't be ignored), but more of the warmth of the malt comes thorugh. Sorry no notes - its was at a restarurant, but I do recall there were three distinct waves of flavor.

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:29 pm

The 15yo and the QC really taste quite similar. QC is just too nutty for me--seems to dominate. 15yo is multidimensional.

If I had to score Laphroaigs
--------------------------------
30yo - 95
10yo C/S - 90
15yo - 86
QC - 80
10yo - 75 (I apologize in advance to the fans, just not my style in its current form)
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:55 pm

I use to get the Laphroaig 15 back when it came in a white tin box (15+ years ago?), but after a alcohol tax increase where most bottles of whisk(e)y went up several dollars the Laph 15 more than doubled ($35 to $75!) which made me switch to the Lagavulin 12, soon when it became unavailable and on to the Lagavulin 16. Until about the mid to late 90's the only Laphroaig's available were the 10 & 15 after which IB's became more available with the last couple of years now you can get several more expressions of Laphroaig OB's as in 10yo CS & QC. I've found that I like the younger in-your-face Laphroaig's as opposed to the mellower older ones though the '88 Signatory UCF and Murray McDavid 14yo's are both very good too!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Nock » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:09 am

I find that the 15yo is a very fine reserved malt. Very mild peat that seems to keep the whole experience very subdued. I am a huge Laphroaig fan, and I like it because it is the "laid back" bottle from Laphroaig.

However, in all honesty it is my least favorite of the Laphroaig expressions (even though it towers over most other malts for me). The 10yo is more in your face, while the 30yo makes the 15yo look two dimensional. The 10yo Cask Strength and the Quarter Cask are both just amazing in your face complex malts that the 15yo at 43% ABV just can't hope to compete with (for my taste).

But that is my taste. And I hear that for some people the 15yo is their favorite from Laphroaig (supposedly this is the case for Prince Charles). So take heart that you are in good company. You just are not in the company of the peat freaks (which I hear can be very good :lol: )

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:30 am

Thanks for your opinions guys!
Peergynt, I think you are right in saying that it is underrated because it tastes so good...it IS purely a pleasure dram - it makes you go mmmmmm and while being peaty, it is unbelievably drinkable.
In the words of the Chillies, I guess many Laphroaig nuts and peat freaks like their pleasure spiked with pain i.e. C/S - Which I like too, but only when I'm in the mood, after a few drams of other malts.
Nock, I agree with you in that the 15 might be even better if it was bottled at say 46-48%
ScotchPalate, I don't have tasting notes for you - but I can say that the 15 is less medicinal than the 10, while still retaining a big hit of (smoother) peat. The 15 has a delicious slightly nutty malt taste that you don't seem to get in the 10. Overall I think the wood, malt and peat are better integrated in the 15, it is definately smoother and yummy but you won't be missing out on peat! You really should get a bottle, or at least try a dram, you won't be dissapointed. Don't add any water.
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:36 am

I really like Laphroaig 15 and it was my preferred malt in Las Vegas when I visited there last month. People naturally compare Laphroaig 15 and Lagavulin 16 and IMHO they are both great drams but slightly different and each is suitable for a different mood I find. If I'm searching for a dram at the end of an evening that is a little more 'relaxed' Laphroaig 15 is the one but if I'm in a more celebratory mood, Lagavulin 16 is the one I look for.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby WestVanDave » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:15 am

Lawrence wrote:I really like Laphroaig 15 and it was my preferred malt in Las Vegas when I visited there last month. People naturally compare Laphroaig 15 and Lagavulin 16 and IMHO they are both great drams but slightly different and each is suitable for a different mood I find. If I'm searching for a dram at the end of an evening that is a little more 'relaxed' Laphroaig 15 is the one but if I'm in a more celebratory mood, Lagavulin 16 is the one I look for.

So Lawrence - given the purpose of your trip to Las Vegas - and your choice to drink Laphroaig 15 - does that mean you weren't in a CELEBRATORY MOOD - but instead looking for a means to RELAX??? Stressed, perhaps???
:wink:
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby rumrunner » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:32 pm

I'm not sure why the 15 y/o is rarely mentioned on these forums and elsewhere. It is my favourite whisky for regular drinking (price/quality ratio). There is a lot more complexity going on than in the 10 y/o's.

I'd say for me it would go something like this:

30 y/o = 95 points
15 y/o = 92 points
10 y/o CS = 91 points
10 y/o = 86

Rumrunner
http://www.thedailydram.com
rumrunner

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:45 pm

WestVanDave wrote:
Lawrence wrote:I really like Laphroaig 15 and it was my preferred malt in Las Vegas when I visited there last month. People naturally compare Laphroaig 15 and Lagavulin 16 and IMHO they are both great drams but slightly different and each is suitable for a different mood I find. If I'm searching for a dram at the end of an evening that is a little more 'relaxed' Laphroaig 15 is the one but if I'm in a more celebratory mood, Lagavulin 16 is the one I look for.

So Lawrence - given the purpose of your trip to Las Vegas - and your choice to drink Laphroaig 15 - does that mean you weren't in a CELEBRATORY MOOD - but instead looking for a means to RELAX??? Stressed, perhaps???
:wink:

HA! :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:11 pm

Lawrence wrote:
WestVanDave wrote:
Lawrence wrote:I really like Laphroaig 15 and it was my preferred malt in Las Vegas when I visited there last month. ...'relaxed' Laphroaig 15 is the one ...celebratory mood, Lagavulin 16 is the one ...

So Lawrence - given the purpose of your trip to Las Vegas - and your choice to drink Laphroaig 15 - does that mean you weren't in a CELEBRATORY MOOD - but instead looking for a means to RELAX??? Stressed, perhaps??? :wink:
HA! :D

Naw, unless he has an account across the pond, he's not Marvin.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : Laphroaig 15 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder