Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Highland Park Bicentennary

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Highland Park Bicentennary

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:26 pm

Anyone tasted? Quality? Notes? Much different from 25 (which I already have)?
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby sku » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:47 pm

This is one of my favorite whiskies. I don't do tasting notes, but it is for me, an almost perfect dram: well balanced, some peat, smooth yet complex flavor. I haven't had the 25, but I've had several HP indies in their 20s and I've yet to find one as good as the Bicentennial.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby Wave » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:17 pm

I haven't tasted it since I had a dram of it at the Highland Park distillery, it was so nice I bought a bottle of it right there and then! It still sits in my whisky cabinet today unopened and being saved for a special occasion, whichever that may be! :wink:

I also got to try the Centennial from one of the workers at the Stomness Hotel who was a HUGE Highland Park fan. After the Centennial the 25yo seemed almost bland in comparision! Unfortunately the Centennial was long gone and he didn't seem to want to sell any of his. Hey, I can understand! :lol:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:34 pm

Should I pick up more than one then? My whisky shop has lots.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Re: Highland Park Bicentennary

Postby corbuso » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:05 am

peergynt323 wrote:Anyone tasted? Quality? Notes? Much different from 25 (which I already have)?

An excellent smooth Highland Park and to my opinion better than the 25YO. Rrich and complex, on toffee, chocolate, peat and heather. Well balanced. Not cheap, but worth a price. Would have benefited of a fee % of alcohol more.

Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:07 am

peergynt323 wrote:Should I pick up more than one then? My whisky shop has lots.

You might as well, it is a great whisky though it really doesn't seem to be all that limited. I bought mine in August of '02!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:24 am

got one, but sadly havent opened it.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:48 pm

This is my favorite whisky. I always have one open and there's another 3 waiting... :D

Sku and Corbuso hit it right on the head. Complex flavors with everything in perfect balance. I prefer it to the 25 YO, but it falls behind the 30. Since I can get nearly 2 Bicentennaries for each 25, that's a no-brainer for me! An absolutely wonderful whisky!!
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:11 pm

peergynt323 wrote: My whisky shop has lots.

Of the HP Bicentenary Vintage?? Lucky you! I wish a whisky shop around here did. This bottle is an incredibly balanced whisky with all the expected flavors a Highland Park coming together beautifully. It is one of my favorite HP whiskies. Fortunately, I still have one in the reserve stock.

I agree with those who think that bottling it at a higher strength would probably have made this great whisky even better. Having tasted the HP 24yo 58% bottled exclusively for Park Ave. Liquors (and the 23yo 57.9% bottled for Park Ave and Whisky Live 2006 -- both IMO slightly better than the 1977), I think the the HP flavors do quite well at cask strength.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:38 pm

Ardbeg311 wrote:

Of the HP Bicentenary Vintage?? Lucky you! I wish a whisky shop around here did.

Ardbeg, I don't know how difficult it is to ship spirits into MA, but I know of at least two stores that still have a very good supply. I can send you their names if you want...
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:41 pm

Ardbeg311 wrote:

Of the HP Bicentenary Vintage?? Lucky you! I wish a whisky shop around here did. This bottle is an incredibly balanced whisky with all the expected flavors a Highland Park coming together beautifully. It is one of my favorite HP whiskies. Fortunately, I still have one in the reserve stock.

I agree with those who think that bottling it at a higher strength would probably have made this great whisky even better. Having tasted the HP 24yo 58% bottled exclusively for Park Ave. Liquors (and the 23yo 57.9% bottled for Park Ave and Whisky Live 2006 -- both IMO slightly better than the 1977), I think the the HP flavors do quite well at cask strength.

http://www.binnys.com

Resonablly priced and plenty off it..
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:38 am

Thanks for this Richard and I have sent a PM to you Sherried Malt.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:30 pm

Ardbeg311 wrote:I have sent a PM to you Sherried Malt.

Please look in your inbox...

Cheers!
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:43 am

The Bicentenary is without a doubt one of my favorite drams of all time! If you can find a bottle, buy it...and if you can find two...buy them both and send one to me! ;)

Seriously, this is an excellent whisky...my notes from the last time I had it showed a touch of brine in the nose, while spicier and smokier than younger Highland Parks.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:51 am

Mark, I may just take you up on that as I am sure you have some whiskies available for exchange that I, as a young whisky drinker, do not have access to. Please PM me so that we can work something out.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:54 am

Let me see what I can find when I start digging around in the back, and I'll PM you sometime soon...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Bulkington » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:18 pm

I find it curious that folks are talking about this and some bottles just showed up at Park Ave. Liquor ... now ... when this was released in ... was it '98? (21 yrs old, distilled in '77.) How does that work? Had some been collecting dust somewhere and only just got released?

Anyway, I picked up a bottle and think it's great. It's hard for me to judge against the HP 12 and 18, as post sinus surgery nothing tastes as it did before (rediscovering old favorites and giving others a second chance has been and will continue to be fun). It's strange, though: beneath the heather there's something almost Springbank-like about it, like the Springbank brine you taste beneath the smoke of a Longrow 10. Nice, and not as perfumy as I remember the 18 as being. But, again, I could try the 18 now and taste something not at all resembling what I had before.
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:34 pm

Well I just ordered 2 bottles from Park Avenue so it is still available. Based on the comments I've heard here i can't go wrong sounds like a great dram.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Bulkington » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:53 pm

I bought mine there a couple of weeks ago and as I recall they said they have a few cases. Wish I could afford to stock up on it.
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:31 pm

The price isn't all that bad for a 21 yr old vintage bottling, and after I try it I might just have to get some more to stock the cupboard.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:37 pm

Wave wrote:I haven't tasted it since I had a dram of it at the Highland Park distillery, it was so nice I bought a bottle of it right there and then! It still sits in my whisky cabinet today unopened and being saved for a special occasion, whichever that may be! :wink:

I also got to try the Centennial from one of the workers at the Stomness Hotel who was a HUGE Highland Park fan. After the Centennial the 25yo seemed almost bland in comparision! Unfortunately the Centennial was long gone and he didn't seem to want to sell any of his. Hey, I can understand! :lol:

Cheers!

Is the centennial bottle something different then? and what does Bicentennial in the name stand for is 1977 the bicentennial year for HP and if that is the case can they call any 1977 a bicentennial HP

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:08 am

Is the centennial bottle something different then? and what does Bicentennial in the name stand for is 1977 the bicentennial year for HP and if that is the case can they call any 1977 a bicentennial HP

Yes, the Centenary(sp?) was released prior to the Bicentenary and was a much more limited release than the Bi which came out at least as early as '02. That's also how long it's been since I seen a bottle of the Centenary and really can't tell you any more info about that. As far as all '77's being a Bicentenary? Sounds plausable, but I think the bottle would be labelled as such like mine is. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:50 pm

Wave wrote:

Yes, the Centenary(sp?) was released prior to the Bicentenary and was a much more limited release than the Bi which came out at least as early as '02. That's also how long it's been since I seen a bottle of the Centenary and really can't tell you any more info about that. As far as all '77's being a Bicentenary? Sounds plausable, but I think the bottle would be labelled as such like mine is. :wink:

Cheers!

Is this the Centenary that you are talking about it is the only reference to a HP Centenary on the web that I can find.

Highland Park 1970 Centenary Reserve Single Highland Highland 1970 1995 40 "Centenary Reserve is a range of malts that has been selected and bottled by Gordon & MacPhail in order to celebrate the centenary of the company. Available as 1970 distilling in 70cl and 5 cl bottles

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:21 pm

Here are the notes from the distillery web site

1998 was Highland Park's bicentenary year, a milestone event in that most ancient of places, the Orkney Islands.

To commemorate the historic occasion, we commissioned an exclusive bottling, Highland Park 1977 Vintage Reserve.

Staff from the distillery, management and some of the world's greatest whisky connoisseurs came together to celebrate the bicentenary on Orkney and herald the launch of the 1977.

Our 1977 bottling is now Sold Out.

Tasting Notes
Colour: Golden Amber, liquid honey.
Aroma: Rich and sweet with a hint of smokey peat, picking up soft oak tones.
Taste: Medium to long, subtle oak with a hint of rich fruit cake.

It looks like 1998 was the 200 year anniversary so this should be the only bicentenary bottling.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Bulkington » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:40 pm

That's what prompted my question above: it's curious that what was apparently released in 1998 should suddenly now be available and have a thread here devoted to it (attesting also to its having recently been acquired), esp. given its quality and affordability for its age.
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby Wave » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:59 pm

Our 1977 bottling is now Sold Out.
FINALY!

Which is really what ticked me off about the Bicentenary. When I was at the Highland Park Distillery (Aug. '02) I was told then that the Bi was only being sold there at the distillery which is one of the main reasons why I bought it thinking it would be very rare except for those of us who have made the effort to venture to the Highland Park Distillery. A week later I found it for sale in Edinburgh and several years ago for sale in Chicago and elsewhere in the States!
So much for a distillery only bottling. :?

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:19 pm

Bulkington wrote:That's what prompted my question above: it's curious that what was apparently released in 1998 should suddenly now be available and have a thread here devoted to it (attesting also to its having recently been acquired), esp. given its quality and affordability for its age.

Makes you wonder, I do know that the US gets bottling a while after they are available in the UK but this is crazy, It has been 9 years and Park Avenue has a stash of them. That is why I was wondering about the Bicentenary, but if it trully was in 1998 then these are the bottles unless the distillery is being dishonest in their labeling. It is one thing to find a bottle on a small liqour store shelf, but Park Avenue is pretty big and it is posted on their web site.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Bulkington » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:30 pm

Park Ave. told me they'd acquired them from some overstocked liquor store in Indiana or something and that they had something like three cases. This liquor store sat on these for 9 years?
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:04 pm

Possibly a mistaken order in the first place (three cases instead of three bottles?), or an overzealous manager overestimating the demand for this amongst Hoosiers.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder