If evaporation off the surface is slow, how is oxygenation into the liquid any faster? How does it even occur at all without any agitation?
I'd bet that, if you left a glass of ethyl alcohol out overnight, you'd lose a significant amount to evaporation. Seems to me we did this as an experiment in grade school. I don't think you'd have to lose all that much to muck up your dram.
peergynt323 wrote:Only the molecules that are in contact with air have the opportunity to evaporate, so it's a slow process, even with 100% alcohol....A dram definitely goes off overnight. This is due to
A) The volume. The molecules in a liquid are constantly moving around and will have more contact with the air than what is in your bottle.
Seems to me you contradict yourself there.
peergynt323 wrote:B) The open exposure to air. Whatever chemical reactions do take place will release the inert chemicals up into the air to be replaced by more oxygen. When your spirit is in the bottle, the oxygen that reacts with your whisky is no longer around to do harm.
Sounds like evaporation to me!
The finite volume of air in the bottle becomes saturated, after which no further evaporation can take place. The more air in the bottle, and the more it is circulated and replaced, the more evaporation can take place in the bottle.
peergynt323 wrote:In support of my theory, I contend that pure ethyl alcohol is scentless and tasteless.
Surely you don't contend that whisky, or any alcoholic beverage, will taste the same with the alcohol removed. If that were so, nonalcoholic beers and wines wouldn't be so bloody awful.
Well, never mind...I'm certainly not qualified to carry this discussion any further! Just speculation on my part.