Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

5-6 weeks makes a big difference

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

5-6 weeks makes a big difference

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:44 pm

I know that once a bottle has been opened, an amount of oxidization occurs and the flavour of a whisky can change dramatically.
I have even written about this happening to one of my favourite drams - the Glenfarclas Quarter Casks, which changes completely after just 2 weeks. But the Glenfarclas QC doesn't deteriorate, it just changes.

Today I re-visited a Bruichladdich "Waves" 7 years old which was originally opened in early December (2006).

I really like this whisky, a good, albeit slightly young 'Laddie which offers typical Bruichladdich fruit, along with a young spiciness not seen in other 'Laddies.

Today, after about 5-6 weeks, the spiciness was almost completely missing, the fruit tasted old and it just wasn't exactly pleasant.

The bottle is about 2/3 empty and I just can't believe the very negative change in such a short time.

Do you have any similar experiences?
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Drammer » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:44 pm

I have only had suspicions, because I usualle can't exactly remember the differences. I have suspected a bottle of Oban 14YO to be bad, I've left it open with about an inch left for about two months, and when I finished the bottle, I suspected it got a little stale.
Drammer

Postby Mustardhead » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:51 pm

I have never experienced anything like that! Maybe a bottle will change over a year if it is left by accident but I've certainly not seen a change for the worse in such a short time.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Drammer » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:07 am

Mustardhead wrote:I have never experienced anything like that! Maybe a bottle will change over a year if it is left by accident but I've certainly not seen a change for the worse in such a short time.

I suspect it has to to with the "emptiness" of the bottle, if the air/whisky ratio gets too high the alcohol evaporates easier because there is more room in the bottle to evaporate in.
Drammer

Postby Jan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:30 am

It can happen. For me it happend to a Laphroaig QC, which lost a lot of freshness in just a few weeks time. (And it was still relatively full.)

At the time I suspected it was because it had traveled with the open bottle. (A lot of vibration and sloshing about could speed up the process??? Don't know...)
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:41 am

How do you store your bottles ?
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:25 am

Ann-Helen,
if that question was to me:

I have a large collection which is not for drinking, these are stored in a cool dark storage area with a ppretty constant temperature year-round.
Of course, all upright.

As for the drinkables (including this 'Laddie):
They are in a drinks cabinet in my lounge. Slightly warmer than my collection storage area as this is a living room, but the cabinet is dark and an even temperature. Again, all are stored upright.

As I mentioned, I am aware of changes and I never had a problem with earlier opened bottles of Bruichladdich Waves - this is a dram I like and have opened 3-4 in the last year or so, since they became available.
For some reason, this one bottle does seem to have suffered extremely badly and I suspect that I will be throwing what's left in the bottle away.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:14 pm

I have not experienced this with Bruichladdich, but I had a similar experience with a Laphroaig 15yo Signatory cask #3610. It started off wonderfully powerful and smokey and three weeks later, with still half a bottle remaining, turned into something outrageously unbalanced. It seemed to go from bold to acrid. It sat for a long time on my shelf until I had a cold and only then was I able to finish it.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:11 pm

Perhaps a minor imperfection in the cork allowed more breathing than is desirable?
Deactivated Member

Postby lexvo » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:55 pm

My expierence is that with most bottles, when there's only the amount of a few drams left, the detoriation goes quickly.
And sometimes I feel the first drams of a bottle are the best.
But it depends on the whisky and on the bottle. For most bottles, the rule 'finish within a few weeks when its 2/3 empty' holds true. But I also have had bottles which seem to last very well with time even when there's only a little left (like Glenmorangie 10).
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Nock » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:15 am

For me
I have found that standard Laphroaig 10yo will develop a slightly bitter finish after it has been opened for a few months (no matter the liquid level).

It isn't enough for me to put it off
I have just had the privilege of opening and trying enough bottles of the stuff. But that is just my taste experience. I am sure others will disagree.

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder