Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whsky Barrel Aged Beer Opinions

General chat and talk about whisky.

Whsky Barrel Aged Beer Opinions

Postby ChicagoDan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:59 am

I'll be honest. I am a beer guy who occasionally enjoys whisky. Every year my fiancee and I go to the Festival of Barrel Aged Beer in Chicago to try beers from some of the best microbrews and brewpubs that have been aged for months or years in used whisky barrels. The richness and texture that barrel aging gives a beer is something to admire.

So to my whisky drinking friends, what do you think of barrel aged beers? Any favorites? Can you tell the effects of the barreling?

Dan
ChicagoDan

Postby Ann-Helen » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:54 am

Innis & Gunn
But it is the only beer i`ve tasted thats been on barrels.
It`s a wonderful beer. :)
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:56 am

When I lived in France I had Whisky aged beer. Problem was I didn't like whisky at the time. :(
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Drammer » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:27 am

I've had beer made completely from malted barley once, it tasted like crap TBH. :roll:
Drammer

Postby les taylor » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:47 am

peergynt323 wrote:-

When I lived in France I had Whisky aged beer. Problem was I didn't like whisky at the time.

Yea its funny going to France and they have quite a lot of this beer finished in scottish whisky barrels. Its great really cold on a hot day. One of the things I enjoy about our french holidays.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:57 am

One thing I enjoyed about French holidays is that they exist. :roll:
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:41 pm

Drammer wrote:I've had beer made completely from malted barley once, it tasted like crap TBH. :roll:

:shock:

Most of the beer I drink is made entirely from malted barley. Generally speaking, I feel that if it isn't barley, it isn't beer.

Maybe you had something made from whisky malt. I had one from Unibroue ages ago--Raftman, I think--that I didn't much like at the time. I'd like to try it again, though.
Deactivated Member

Postby Arebee » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:01 pm

Sounds like a great idea for a beer fest.

Just a few days ago I picked-up a bottle of JW Lees Harvest Barleywine. This particular version is aged in Lagavulin Casks. (They also have a Calvados version)

I have yet to try it but since I am an Islay whisky addict, I had to get it, even at $7.50 for a 9 oz bottle!

Here is a link to some reviews from rate beer:

http://ratebeer.com/Beer/jw-lees-harvest-ale-(lagavulin)/34431/
Arebee

Postby Dan G » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:09 pm

I've only had the Innis & Gunn, and it is OK. It's not the type of beer I'd have more than one in short time, or that you'd want on the porch on a hot summer day, as it is a bit heavy. But nice with a meal. I find that most often I split one with my wife.
Dan G

Postby lapianoman » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:56 pm

My favorite pub (sadly closed now) had the Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale for awhile. I enjoyed it, and was quite surprised to find it was an Anheuser-Busch product.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/27354/
lapianoman

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder