Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Visiting Inverary and Campbeltown .. help needed!

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Visiting Inverary and Campbeltown .. help needed!

Postby adogranonthepitch » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:54 pm

Me and Mrs love the The George at Inverary.

We are going up in February all being well.

We will definately stopping at The George for one night, but do we spend two nights there or spread my money elsewhere. The website of The Hunting Lodge looks crap, is the hotel the same?

Answers on a postcard to ..."Lets make sure Chrissey doesnt get it in the neck from his Mrs for picking a $hite hotel competition"

Other hotels would be considered.

yours dog [/list]
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Re: Visiting Inverary and Campbeltown .. help needed!

Postby Bullie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:59 pm

adogranonthepitch wrote: The website of The Hunting Lodge looks crap, is the hotel the same?

They've got splendid food, and quite a collection of malts! :D
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:36 pm

if you looking at staying a wee bit further down towards campbelltown, theres a very nice place called the balinakil country estate, very nice. were staying there this year the night before the islay whisky festival.
going to campbelltown on the 25th for a tour and that, and staying there on the way back up. they have a website http://www.balanakil.com or however its spelt.

as youll prob have noticed, spelling isnt a strong point of mine...
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:38 pm

Why move from The George? It offers one of the best views in the world!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:52 pm

Alittle off the subject but I would recommend taking the trip to see Skipness Castle, the road for it is right past the ferry landing going south and the trip to get there is Amazing, you get to see Arran for most of the trip and the Castle itself is neat to see. Just alittle non whisky related advice. I went there only because I was early to catch the ferry and had to kill some time and it was well worth the trip. The single lane road most of the way is fun as well.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:57 pm

Don't miss the chapel and the grave slabs, either.

Nice view from the George? They always put me in a back room ovelooking a blank wall! Ron and Bob got the view over LFW.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:08 am

Vitara7 wrote:-

as youll prob have noticed, spelling isnt a strong point of mine...

Hi v7 I have thought about this for quite a while. Sometimes it makes me think you are quite passioned about a subject and that is good. I believe that their is nothing wrong with your spelling, but you're just in a rush to get it out. If you were to just proof read your posts which are very informed it would make all the difference.

Please dont take this as criticism but as encouragement to polish up your end product. les. :wink:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:11 am

yes, i do rush.... try to do too much at once...

also, i got a new keyboard a few weeks ago, one of those half size ones, i thought it would save space, but all the letters are closer together, so you dont notice youve hit two buttons at once or in the wrong order.... doh!
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby dram_time » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:45 pm

vitara7 wrote:yes, i do rush.... try to do too much at once...

also, i got a new keyboard a few weeks ago, one of those half size ones, i thought it would save space, but all the letters are closer together, so you dont notice youve hit two buttons at once or in the wrong order.... doh!

I type mine [my posts] in 'Word' most of the time and it sorts out all my mistakes for me!!! then i just copy and paste it over!!! job done. I even do emails like that. I know what you mean about big fingers and little keys!! I am allways hitting two at a time.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby The Bunna Boy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:55 am

Hi Guys,

I am a born and breed campbeltonian and can honestly say that the hunting lodge has a horrendous website but that is a poor reflection on the establishment it has one of the best whiskies bars you are likely to find and like previously mentioned the grub is quite good! its about 7ish miles from the toon and is set in an idylic location.
failing that there is a lovely hotel in campbeltown itself called the ardsheil hotel. again the owner is big into his whiskies and boasts a substantial bar and good food, it also looks over the famous campbeltown loch and is within a couple of minutes stagger from Sprinbank and their tasting room!! so there is a clear incentive in its self!!

hope this helps

slainte :D
The Bunna Boy

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:17 am

I spent a couple evenings in the Ardshiel. It was some years ago, and I don't have any specific recollections, but I do recall it was a saving grace in an otherwise fairly quiet town.
Deactivated Member

Postby WhiskyHill » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:17 am

Thumbs up on the Ardshiel in Campbeltown. Great food and a well stocked pub.

Oh, and Chris - see if Gordon would like you to pick up a couple bottles of Springbank at Eaglesomes for him ;-)
WhiskyHill

Postby fishboy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:46 am

My wife and I stayed at the Hunting Lodge for a few days in 2003. We had a great time - the food was excellent and the selection of whiskies superb. It was a particularly enjoyable trip as it was the first time we had been on holiday with our son (then 4 months old). During our meal in the restaurant Libby (the proprietress) entertained our son so that my wife and I had our first meal together in months!! Then later in the evening my wife and I sat at the bar with Stuibhard (the owner and whisky expert!) and sampled some wonderfully rare whiskies (some of which failed to make it onto the hotel bill) with the baby monitor buzzing happlily in the background. What a great night - also Stuibhard intorduced me to 21 yo Campbeltown loch a staple in our house ever since.

These are great people who'll make your stay really enjoyable (I'm honestly not related to either of them!!) Plus the beach is just across the road!

Fishboy
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:37 am

Just got back from a trip to Kintyre!

Decided on http://www.balinakill.com/. You really must visit this place! Only 4 miles from Kennacraig!

Great hotel.

Purchased lots of bottles as well 8)
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:42 am

Wish I'd seen this thread earlier. The Stonefield Castle Hotel in Tarbert is quite a good place.
Mrs C and I used to live in Campbeltown. Occssionally we pop back and spend a couple of days in Carradale - but nothing seems to have changed in the 15 or so years since we left. It's like the whole area has been caught in a time warp! Strange.
Thankfully Springbank seems to be maintaining momentum though :D
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder