Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Help! It all tastes like water...

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Help! It all tastes like water...

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:14 am

Hi guys, I have been 'into' single malts for about 2 years now, and I have had a problem since yesterday.

Last night I bought a bottle of Yoichi 12 (Fantastic whisky). I opened it and poured a dram, sniffed it and...nothing! I tasted it and it seemed thin and watery, could detect little flavour and seemed like it was about 30% (actually bottled at 45%).

I finished the dram and decided it must have been poorly sealed and evaporated (Strange coz Yoichi's are always consistent). I then got out the trusty Talisker 10 (still 3/4's full), pulled out the cork, put my nose to the bottle and...nothing! Smelled like a diluted blend. I sipped and got more of the same...watery and seemed underproof.

I now suspected something was very wrong, so got out the Laphroaig Q/C and had a sniff...nothing! Had to stick my nose right in the bottle and inhale deeply before I could detect any alcohol or peat. I didn't even before drinking any.

I came home from work tonight and it's still the same, all my whisky's, from the Balvenie to the Laphroaig to A'bunadh seem watery and devoid of flavour. I don't think I'm developing a cold, what has happened to me? Has anybody else experienced this? Will it go away soon? Please help!
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby PeatPirate » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:01 am

Hi KWIJ,

I don't think I'm developing a cold, what has happened to me?

Somehow it has got to do something with your nose. I've heard people talking about bad-nose days before (seriously!). Yours is very BAD.

First I thought maybe your girl-friend emptied all your bottles half, an filled them up with water, because she thinks you drink too much. But it was a new Yoichi.

Try again tomorrow, and pray :shock:

Greetz PP
PeatPirate

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:25 am

Thanks PP, I will try again tomorrow. It is mid-winter in Japan, and bloody cold, so maybe I have got something that has affected my nose but hasn't shown any other symptoms yet? Anyway I'm gonna keep trying till it comes back, and pray to the the malt gods :shock:

This is definately the first time in my life when I hope I AM coming down with something...
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:33 am

Oh and by the way, my GF likes alcohol as much as I do - I have got her on to New Zealand wines (which she absolutely loves), I am introducing her to malts; she loves the smell but still struggles with the alcohol level when drinking them.

Japanese girls are even more beautiful than Japanese whiskies :P
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:51 am

Peatpirate wrote: "one dram a day keeps the doctor away"

As my dad would have said: "...and two drams a day keeps two doctors away."

Seriously though, what a predicament: to wish you were coming down with something!

Sir, you are a credit to the cause! A true maltmaniac!

Seriously though, there have been a couple of occasions where every whisky i try, from sweet to peat, just tastes salty and bland, and i figure it's my body saying "not now!" Maybe there's a temporary imbalance in my system - too much coffee/alcohol/chocolate/acid foods/too much food(!)...whatever, and its time to detox for a coupla days...the body doesn't lie.

...or maybe by now you have a raging cold!

Keep us posted.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:46 pm

Hi KiwiBoyInJapan, sounds like a disaster ..... aaaahhhhh

Have you been dramming regularly lately. I know that if I have a dram every night for some weeks it can deplete my sences towards whisky maybe RB has hit the nail on the head.

What ever it is I hope it is only a short term thing.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:00 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Peatpirate wrote: "one dram a day keeps the doctor away"

As my dad would have said: "...and two drams a day keeps two doctors away."

What if you are a doctor? Are my drams going to repel me from within? Impending Mr Creosote moment?!!!!! :shock:

You probably are getting a cold. Only last week I found myself not thinking much of a dram I had loved the previous night. I had no signs of a cold but by the next morning there was no doubt about it.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:15 am

I get a big benefit from taking a long rest from whisky--like a few weeks. That being said, I haven't done it since lent last year. February is coming up, so why bother. :wink:
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby dram_time » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:29 am

peergynt323 wrote:I get a big benefit from taking a long rest from whisky--like a few weeks. That being said, I haven't done it since lent last year. February is coming up, so why bother. :wink:

I find that also, although i can only stay away for a few days!! it does make a whole difference to taste. even some more standard bottles taste better after a break.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:21 am

Thanks guys, I will take a bit of a break...I have been drinking too much and not sleeping enough since New Years, maybe a bit run down.

Dunno how long I can go though!! :shock:
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby les taylor » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:12 am

Kiwiboy I'm not a doctor but if everything tastes like water you might be suffering from a dose of aquaitis. I'm sure the laddie could confirm this even over the internet.

:)
les taylor

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:05 pm

les taylor wrote:Kiwiboy I'm not a doctor but if everything tastes like water you might be suffering from a dose of aquaitis. I'm sure the laddie could confirm this even over the internet.

:)

Not without some very painful tests... :twisted:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:31 pm

Open wide...............................

:wink:
les taylor

Postby MGillespie » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:51 am

......and bend over......Laddie won't hurt you a bit! ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Water aquaitis

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:30 am

You buggers are sick, sick , sick. But funny. :D
Kiwiboy:
Take a gander at anosmia on Wikipedia. It may offer some information, also taking a break from whisky and spending the weekend in bed - sleeping - may be appropriate to bring you back on form.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:42 am

Thanks for the advice guys! I took a break from alcohol for a few days and got some sleep. Yesterday evening after a cold days tennis, I had two drams of the Macallan at my sports club...and it tasted great! Seems I'm back to normal - but I had better just make sure... *opens whisky cupboard*
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:02 pm

"...but I had better just make sure... *opens whisky cupboard*"

and you'll be making sure that you made SURE you made sure, no doubt!

glad to hear you're tastebuds have returned.

Had a similar experience the other night when everything I tasted tasted salty! Including a Portwood 'morangie...wierd!

Re: Water aquaitis

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:31 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:You buggers are sick, sick , sick. But funny. :D

Care to rephrase that? :shock: :D
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:04 am

KiwiBoy, I have a confession to make. We had a party at your house while you were out, and kind of got carried away. We topped up all the bottles with water so you wouldn't notice. So of course the dram at the sports club was fine!

...Sorry!
Deactivated Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:15 am

Sorry, Mr TH?? I'm not!

'Scuse our ruse KB, but you sure had a fine drop or two there!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:06 pm

Not water, but Rum. I've been suffering from a flu bug for nearly 2 weeks and no whisky while the antibiotics kicked in. Now EVERY dram smells and tastes of Rum. No floral notes, no spicy sweetness, just alcohol. Not even a peaty pour can fix it. I hope I'm not ruined. Beer seems to be soothing, though, so a good Ale or 2 before bed each night has helped. :wink: This is the first I've been sick since I got into Single Malts over 2 years ago, really disconcerting to have such a lack of acuity.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:09 pm

Two weeks off will throw you, of course, but so will antibiotics. I assume you are off them now, but I couldn't tell you how long it takes to shake that. Probably it varies from person to person.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:35 pm

KiwiBoy has your palate and sense of smell returned to normal?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Ize » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:45 pm

Curing seem to be happened on 22nd of January for KimiBoy. ;)

But what comes to bad nose days, I have them a lot. I think that my nostrils seem to suffer dry air which we have in Finland a lot during winter time. Moisture is my house is under 20% during the coldest time of the winter. I guess linings react somehow to dryness and start to generate liquids to protect them .. or something like that. Nevertheless, I have bad nose days a lot and therefore I always calibrate my taste buds with reference whisky before sampling new whisky. If the reference whisky does not taste as it should be, I'll pass the tasting for new whisky for that day.
Ize
Silver Member

Re: Water aquaitis

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:43 pm

TheLaddie wrote:
Muskrat Portage wrote:You buggers are sick, sick , sick. But funny. :D
Care to rephrase that? :shock: :D
You gentlemen are sick, sick, sick. But funny :D
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings