Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Tesco's 12year old Islay single malt

General chat and talk about whisky.

Tesco's 12year old Islay single malt

Postby Budgie » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:24 pm

Does anyone know for sure if Tesco's 12 year old Islay Single Malt is a Lagavulin. I may be wrong but I think it's the same whisky.
Budgie

Postby les taylor » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:18 pm

I don't know what it is myself, but i saw it on saturday i was quite intrigued by it as it looks good have not bought it yet. Has anyone tried it? The price is good as well.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Leither » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:25 pm

I'd be delighted if it is Lagavulin, but I would doubt it due to shortages in supply of Laga in recent years. Having said that I have not tasted it so just a guess on my part.

Previous Tesco Islay (called Ardnave) used to be Bruichladdich but I know it is not that one anymore, as they went silent around 1994.

JM's 2007 Whisky bible gives it a good score in the high 80's from memory. The difficulty in comparing it to Lagavulin is the fact their 12yo comes at cask strength plus their standard is the 16yo - so not sure what Lagavulin you are comparing it to?

My guess would be (if you think it's like Lagavulin) it could well be Caol Ila.

The other supermarket Islays are all very good in my opinion and great value - best one is Sainsburys (pure malt with a score of 90+ in the Whisky Bible), followed by Morrisons (single malt, I suspect Bowmore) and then Asda (pure malt). Waitrose offering is also fairly good but the rubbery notes put me off this, but after half way thro the bottle it turned a bit better.

Other ones to try are M&S and Majestic, but the Asda/Tescos etc are a few quid cheaper and appear great value to me.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Budgie » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:31 pm

The Tesco's Islay malt reminded me of a 16 year old Lagavulin. I'm pretty sure it's not a Caol Ila. If Lagavulin is one of your favourites all I can say is take a chance and compare it and tell me what you think.
Budgie

Postby Leither » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:15 pm

Hi Budgie,

It might be Lagavulin but the thing is no one here will be able to tell you for sure.

Another thread suggests Caol Ila:

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopi ... esco+islay

I know a few guys who work in the bottling halls at Broxburn and they don't know but they do admit to bottling most of the supermarket malts. The supermarket malts appear to be a closely guarded secret and allow distillers to shift excess stock without harming the brand name (and apparently can sometimes be Caol Ila one year and then Bowmore the next).

If you want to try what is widely suspected to be cheap Lagavulin, try one of Ian Macleods own label Islays.

I like the Sainsburys Islay Pure Malt as I think (but will never know) that it has some Ardbeg in the vatting and I also like the Morrisons (single malt) one as I think it is Bowmore.

Whatever they are they're great value and I will be sure to try the Tesco Islay and let you know if I think it is Lagavulin, but we'll never know for sure.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Budgie » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:23 pm

Well I motored down to Sainsbury's in Darnly to try the Pure Isla malt. How have you found it for consistancy. My initial opinion is I still prefer Tesco's. Still my opinions often change by the time I've finshed the bottle.
Budgie

Postby les taylor » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:05 pm

Well after you're bringing this to our attention we got a bottlee yesterday evening. We tried it and I could be wrong but I think it might be Bowmore. But as it is at 40% I'm not sure. It would be good to know as at £12.99 a bottle its not bad.

les taylor

Postby Budgie » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:58 am

I just don't reckon a Bowmore is a peated whisky so I couldn't agree. When I look at the colour, it's definetly not a Ardbeg. As for the Sainsbury's as the night goes on I must say it does go down a little to easy as a session whisky, here I am alone and near half a bottle has evaporated in a single night. So I guess I'd give it full marks for palatability, or should that be compatability. :D
Budgie

Postby Leither » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:35 am

I've not tried the Tesco but it certainly looks like it has added colouring like many other 40% chill-filtered malts (and in Jim Murray's bible he finishes by saying something like 'drop the colouring and the score would be in the 90's' BTW he gives it a score of 89 - will post his full tasting notes later if you want, don't have the bible to hand right now).

The Sainsbury's, out of the supermarket malts I've tried, is certainly the lightest in colour and as such I deduce has less artificial colouring than the other ones (and probably why I like it best). It's a pure malt but I suspect it contains some Ardbeg (and hence why Jim Murray scores it the highest at 92) and maybe Caol Ila.

The Morrisons (single) and Asda (pure malt) are very similar in colour, ie suspected added colour, and as I said both seem pretty 'Bowmoreish' to me. Indeed the tasting notes on the Morrisons bottle refers to 'chocolate and orange' notes so this is another reason why I suspect Bowmore.

The only thing is we'll never know for sure what they are.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:00 pm

Leither
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:10 pm

Thankyou Leither a very informative link. Its like saying the Tesco Islay is Bowmore without saying this is Bowmore. I'm glad the old taste buds still seem to be in good shape. I thankyou.

les taylor

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder