Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Hangovers.

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Hangovers.

Postby r900p » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:13 pm

I have just read the thread regarding being a whisky snob and noticed Vitara7 has said that he gets no hangovers when drinking single malts but does get hangovers from blends. This is also the case with me.

Can anyone say why this is?

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:18 pm

ive thought about this myself, and the only reason i can think of is the grain whisky within the blend.
if i drink diffrent single malts im fine, so id look upon that as drinking a pure malt due to it all getting mixed together eventully ;)
but the reason why the grain whisky causes it im not sure.
i did once noticed that after trying a couple of drams of grain whisky, north british and cambus one day, i did find them to be a bit on the coarse side. other than this ive also though about the high %vol of the grain whisky hen its distilled being the reason, but once its watered down to 40% i dont think that would matter.

to be honest, i cant come up with a feesable reason myself for it.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:20 pm

one thing i have noticed though is, when i go for a boys night out or that, the places we go to, gentelmans dancing bars and the likes ;) they dont tend to have malts, so ill drink vodka. now, if i drink anything other than smirnoff or grey goose, im the same, bad hangover....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:02 am

i was just going to say about the vodka too, my father has several permantly on the go tucked in the frezzer these never give me a hangover, but smirnoff does, odd.

Lifes little mysteries!
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:56 am

Champagne gives me a hangover before I even go to sleep!
peergynt323
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder