Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How to save opened bottles

All your whisky related questions answered here.

How to save opened bottles

Postby ardbug » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:45 am

Can anybody give me some advice on the following.

If a bottle is opened and then transformed into smaller 125mm bottles, which are corked and then wax sealed. Will the malt stay stable and safe for a long time ?

It would great to be able to open some of these samples in , say 10 yrs, to relive some great old memories or compare to current expressions.

Cheers Ardbug
ardbug

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:02 am

I'd suggest, after waxing, wrapping some cling wrap (Saran Wrap) around the neck, securing with a rubber band, encasing in concrete, and keeping the whole in a safe deposit box.

Actually, your plan sounds reasonable, but I haven't heard of anyone here actually doing it, so I think you're on your own. One thing I can suggest seriously is marking the level on the neck with a Sharpie, and rewaxing at the slightest sign of evaporation. You should be okay. I think.

(Mr Tattie Heid's 30,000th post, ten years hence: "Sorry, ardbug! What the hell do I know?")
Deactivated Member

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:03 am

I doubt it would keep as long as an unopened 750 ml bottle, but it would keep longer than a half-empty 750 ml bottle. I don't know if it's necessary to wax seal them. A good screw cap should work.

I'd say get a really high fill level!
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:04 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I'd suggest, after waxing, wrapping some cling wrap (Saran Wrap) around the neck, securing with a rubber band, encasing in concrete, and keeping the whole in a safe deposit box.

Actually, your plan sounds reasonable, but I haven't heard of anyone here actually doing it, so I think you're on your own. One thing I can suggest seriously is marking the level on the neck with a Sharpie, and rewaxing at the slightest sign of evaporation. You should be okay. I think.

(Mr Tattie Heid's 30,000th post, ten years hence: "Sorry, ardbug! What the hell do I know?")

There goes TH again with the evaporation thing. :roll:
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:19 am

Well, that's the danger. I'm looking right now at a mini I bought three years ago and have been saving for an occasion, and the level has fallen just below the neck/shoulder joint. It has a cork stopper and is waxed, too. You're probably right that a screwtop in good condition is the best hope.
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:15 pm

I have sometimes set aside half bottles of some of my more valuable open bottles with the intention of returning later although that intention usually becomes sooner as you may well find yourself.Simply follow the principles of most effective seal(probably a good screw cap) with wax, clingfilm foil etc ,cool stable storage position and minimal air in the bottle. It is worth marking to check for evaporation so a poor seal can be remmedied or drunk. A small amount of evaporation shouldn't be to big a concern. I've had some very old minis where evap has gone below the neck but the whisky has still been sound.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:25 pm

I have often noticed that miniatures seem to suffer from greater (or quicker) evaporation than the larger 70cl or 75cl bottles.
Are the caps generally looser fitting?

I am really not sure, but even when I come across wax-sealed bottles, the evaporation still seems to be present.

The same also seems to be true for decanters, whether glass or ceramic, the contents evaporate quicker.

It looks to me like the Angels want more than their share and nobody or nothing will stop them!

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:09 pm

The caps on some minis are pretty flimsy, Springbank seem to suffer particularly in this respect but I've also had plenty bottles over 15yrs old with no apparent evaporation. Whether they are likely to evaporate quicker than 70cl bottles is more of a question for the many Scientifically minded forum members.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:00 pm

If we assume that a faulty seal is a faulty seal, the mini will be much more susceptible to evaporation and oxidation. However many air molecules slip in have only a mini's worth of spirit to attack rather than 70cl worth.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:57 pm

Told yah,where would we be without Science, thanks PG :)
Scotchio
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder