Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Buying Japanese Whisky in Canada..

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Buying Japanese Whisky in Canada..

Postby thehoj » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:57 pm

Does anyone know where I can purchase a nice Japanese single malt in Canada? Online or otherwise I suppose..
I'm located in Manitoba, but I'm pretty sure I can't find it anywhere here..

If I find a bottle at a store in the US (or another country for that matter), is it possible to ship to Canada, or will they stop it at the border?..

Does anyone have any experience with this, or any beneficial advice on the matter?

Where could I buy this in the US?.. I'm located just north of North Dakota, so if I'm travelling down to the US is there somewhere in Minneapolis or closer(further north of Minneapolis this is) that would carry something?

Thanks for any help on the matter.

This is my first post, and I'm anxious to get into the forums here. I've just recently started to develop a taste and interest for single malt scotch. I've got a bottle of Bowmore 12yr (which is very different from what I've tasted before but is definitely growing on me), a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12yr (that I very much like in that relaxed simple sort of way), and a bottle of Highland Park 12yr (which is definitely the best scotch I've tasted up to this point, with a nice bite and so much character and yet so smooth..).

Anyways, I'm just very very curiuos about the Japanese single malts as well, so hopefully someone can help me find a source.
thehoj

Postby les taylor » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:11 pm

Welcome thehoj sorry I can't help as I'm in the Uk but their are plenty of people here who can help.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby badams » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:58 am

check with distributor, Yamazaki 12 is one of the best and widely distributed. Vancouver has many available. May want to check with Canadien distributors in British Columbia. Vancouver has maybe the best Yoichi 10!
badams

Postby Badmonkey » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:27 am

Your options for finding Japanese whisky in Canada are quite limited. Yoichi 10 is available in Ontario at a very high price point: $100+. The LCBO website reports that it has discontinued sales of the Yoichi 12. The BC Liquor Control Board website does not have any Japanese whiskies on its distribution list, so if any of you have seen Yoichi there, I'd be interested to know where.

Yamazaki 12 is widely available in the US - BEVMO is a reliable source -- but I have yet to see it on store shelves in Canada. The only Suntory product I've seen on the shelves of Canadian liquor stores is green tea liquer.

Should you find what you are looking for online, keep in mind that the applicable Canadian laws and regulations do not allow you import alcohol by mail across national or provincial borders. Your best bet is to bring it in yourself when you come back from the US, Japan, or other country where you can find a range of Japanese whiskies. If you have friends who can do the same for you from time to time, all the better. Much time will pass before Japanese whisky really makes a dent on the Canadian market, I'm afraid.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:05 am

Hi thehoj - I'll echo Badmonkey's comments (as he's my Japanese Whisky Hero)... and confirm that I don't recall seeing any Japanese Whisky on the shelves in BC... I have found Yoichi 10 & 12 in Toronto, but as mentioned it is not regular stock. Alberta is normally the best source in Canada - and I don't think I've seen any Japanese Whisky there either (would think that Badmonkey would be clearing the shelves there)...

I have a few bottles through the kindness of friends who have travelled - and I am always pleasantly surprised by the quality of Japanese Whisky.

There are several shops in the US with decent websites - but I would think that would only help you for pre-shopping. You would still need to handle the "muling" in person.

It's not Minneapolis - but check out: http://www.parkavenueliquor.com/

I'm sure there are plenty of recommendations from those in the USA... 'Just wait fro Mr. T to get back to Springfield and online in earnest and you'll have plenty of options...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Ontario access to whisky

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:16 am

Thehoj:
What part of Manitoba are we talking about? Ontario end or Saskatchewan end? You can contact the local LCBO here in town and arrange for them to bring in whisky that is in stock in other stores, provided the product is available and the other store will release it.

If you PM me I'll put you in touch with the manager, then you'll have to arrange for someone to come to Kenora to pick it up. Check the LCBO website http://www.lcbo.com/products/index.shtml for products using the search feature.

I am aware that in Winnipeg some of the stores recommend their customers contact our store. As you are probably aware, a lot of Manitobans come here to their cottages on Lake of the Woods throughout the year.

I have acquired a Japanese whisky here by ordering it in, when it came available, but haven't pursued any more as it was a novelty more than anything for me.
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby thehoj » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:17 pm

Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm in Brandon, so I'm closer to Sask, but I do come to winnipeg fairly often.. I have gone to Kenora before, I have a friend who's family has a house right on Lake of the woods.. MAN that's some good fishing, but that's another topic..

I recently talked to someone that works at the MLCC, and he seems to think they can special order somethign for me too, so I'm probably gonna hit up that angle to start with, seems like the easiest place to start.
thehoj

Postby Lawrence » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:41 am

It's been 10 years or more since BC has carried a Japanese whisky although I would welcome the return of their fine products.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder