Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ian Macleod's 'As we get it'

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Ian Macleod's 'As we get it'

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:38 pm

The previous thread disappeared but I cracked my bottle open at the weekend.

The 8 year old, 60.5%abv, was smooth and sweet. It was light and crisp and needed only a slight addition of water. it was drinkable at well in excess of 50%abv.

It probably isn't a Glenfarclas, as that isn't smooth at a young age, but it could be a Macallan. I think it is bourbon cask or a dry sherry.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Leither » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:58 pm

Cheers Bruce, the one I have is 56.9% abv and my back up is 60.5% so it may well be different malt. The Islay stuff I have a couple of also comes in at different strengths. They all have 8yo on the label.

I'm not sure what the Highland one is but I think it's great stuff, after trying in a few Leith pubs near me, and doesn't need too much water as you say.

When I was trying to source it a friend who works for Ian Macleod pointed me towards Oddbins but I had no joy there, however they (their Glasgow store on Sauchiehall St) suggested it was Macallan as apparently the old 'As we get it' brand (from a Glasgow bottler that IM bought the brand from a few years ago it seems) was always a 'younger cask strength Macallan'.

BTW I sourced it eventually at RMW but stocks vanish fast, particularly the Islay one, and also at getwhisky.com for £19.99 :D - a great buy so I bought a couple for back-ups!
Leither
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder