Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Little confused!!!!!!!!

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Little confused!!!!!!!!

Postby r900p » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:36 pm

I'm looking at so many bottles from distilleries that are either closed or demolished, but are being bottled now.

Whiskyexchange have a modern looking Littlemill 12 year old for sale, if its closed how can they still be bringing out what look like brand new bottles if supposedly the distillery is no longer.

This brings me to my next point which distilleried are indeed mothballed, demolished or closed?

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:54 pm

even though distilleries are closed or that, the folk that own them or did own them when they were open, will still have casks from that time, and when aged suitably, will then bottle them.
you can still get distillery own bottle that have been bottled very recently despite the fact that the distilleries that closed 20-30 years ago.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:55 pm

o, also, heres a link to whats closed etc.

not sure how current it is as if i mind right the last time i looked at it it said tullibardine was silent, but thats open again and has been for a couple of years.

http://www.scotchwhisky.net/distilleries/silent/
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:57 pm

Sometimes, a distillery name has been bought even though the distillery is closed and all original stocks are gone.

á la Hazelburn.
Deactivated Member

Postby r900p » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:57 pm

Thanks V7, well considering that the whisky is therefore a finite source, they are not as expensive as i would presume them to be, the Littlemill 12 is under 30 quid, and prices can surely only go up.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:08 pm

prices will go up, as casks are always aging, there will be no more 12yo, next time its botled it'll be 15yo or that.
also, there was a fire at a large warehouse a couple of years back that destroyed a lot of littlemill stock.
long term the price of littlemill will go up, but for the short to mid term, just depends on how much they really do have of it lying around in warehouses and how demand fairs.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:13 pm

with hazelburn, didnt they already own that name?

i know they did try to buy the trademark glengyle for their now glengyle whisky, but in the end didnt and opted of kileran or however its spelt.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:16 pm

Yes, Springbank own(ed) the Hazelburn name. But that was what I was saying; the hazelburn distillery is gone, as are the original stocks. But the name is now being used for Hazelburn-style distilling at Springbank distillery.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby fishboy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:23 am

M-T,

I take the point about Springbank owning the Hazelburn Trademark and using it to brand one of their own whiskies. However I'm not convinced that the Hazelburn produced by the hazelburn distillery in the early part of the 20th Century would have been triple distilled and unpeated. Is this what you meant by "Hazelburn Style".

Did Springbank try to match the style or just use a convenient tradename that resonates with the Campeltown distilling history?

I realise that this is a bit of thread. Sorry.

Fishboy
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:51 am

Hazelburn was originally a lowland distillery and much has been made of the fact that Springbank distill Hazelburn in the traditional lowland style - (triple distilled and) using unpeated malt.

(I know that Auchentoshan also triple-distillation and Bladnoch not, but IÄm not sure what the others do).

If you Google you will find a few references to this, but here is one from Malt Maniacs which says it all:

(You will find Hazelburn in Entry 167 towards the bottom of the page (Approx 3/4 down).

http://www.maltmaniacs.org/ADHD/l160-169.html

This is what I meant in my reference to "Hazelburn style".
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby fishboy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:25 am

Dear M-T

My understanding was that the original Hazelburn Distillery was in Campbeltown and was in operation between 1825 and 1925. Whilst I realize that this is below the old Highland line and so was technically in the lowlands (for tax purposes), I’d always thought of Campbeltown as a unique regional appellation (distinct from the lowlands). When Barnard visited in 1886 it was the largest producer of spirit in the burgh. In his extensive description of the operation of Hazelburn, Barnard does indicate that the each of the three malt kilns was fired exclusively with peat. However his description of the still house does suggest some form of triple distillation (or at least more than 2 times), as it contains a “wash still”, a “low-wines still” and a “feints still”.

My point was, that (because all the stocks are gone, and tasting notes non-existent) it’s impossible to say that the Hazelburn of today is in the style of the Hazelburn made by the Hazelburn distillery. Indeed whilst they might both have been tripled distilled (all three stills were direct coal fired in the old distillery), Barnard”s description of the malting process inidcates that they would have been vastly different in style. I accept that Springbank were looking to create a product that would compliment their other output (and so went for a “lowland style”) I just question that this would be anything like the original Hazelburn.

Anyway, as a still “new member” I’m here to learn from you guys.

Cheers

Fishboy
fishboy
Silver Member

Re: Little confused!!!!!!!!

Postby Bullie » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:50 am

r900p wrote:This brings me to my next point which distilleried are indeed mothballed, demolished or closed?

Rob

Here's a list that is quite updated:
Distillery list

It's in swedish but easy to understand though. It's divided into active and inactive at regional level.

Mothballed = Malpåse
Demolished = Rivet
Closed = Stängt
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:27 pm

Hi there,

Littlemill´s whisky and the distillery itself was owned by Loch Lomond Distillery or Glen Catrine Bonded Warehouses after it closed in 1994.

The Littlemill 12 years is from stock stored at the Loch Lomond distillery site. There seems to be a sea of Littlemill in the warehouses. Some of it might be in stainless steel to prevent further aging but I think the can supply any vintage or age up to the day of closing down Littlemill.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:35 am

Buy that Littlemill if you want one for the collection, but for god's sake don't drink it!
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:18 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Buy that Littlemill if you want one for the collection, but for god's sake don't drink it!

It's not that bad. Maybe a bit too sweet for many tastes but the OBs have been pretty drinkable. The recent release of the 12yo is an improvement on the 8.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:26 pm

I'll take your word for it, TL. I've only had two Littlemills, both IB's, both utterly dreadful.
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder