Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Handmade water jugs and dilution

General chat and talk about whisky.

Water jugs?

Souvenir
40%
Functional item
60%

Total votes : 10

Handmade water jugs and dilution

Postby jotter » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:24 am

I was adding some water to a glass of The Glenlivet 18 last night and it struck me how little effort is put into the standard distillery water jugs. Perhaps this is only me but when i'm savouring a glass of good scotch it's sometimes little things that make all the difference.

Luckily for me as my girlfriend is a studio potter I put this to her and she has agreed to take the challenge and handthrow a new jug to my design from porcelain. :D I'll let you know how it turns out.

Perhaps this is a frivolous thread but out of interest how many of you dilute your favourite drams?
jotter

Postby Mustardhead » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:35 am

If I want water it comes from a decent lead crystal jug, not the distillery souvenir tat.
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:54 am

I never use any kind of water jug at home and when I'm running tastings in a bar I use whatever water jugs are available.

Having said this, I do often try just a couple of drops of water in my drams when tasting them for the first time, but for this I use my trusted pipettes.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:07 am

I have a couple of water jugs, a small Bruichladdich one and a larger Ardbeg one, both made by Arra Fletcher at Persabus Pottery on Islay.

They are both a long, long way from the normal distillery jugs and would recommend them to anybody.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:39 pm

There is a good reason why these are nearly always fairly cheap products.

They are produced en-masse and distributed to bars/ pubs/ hotels etc for free to advertise their products. Further the shelf live for the use of these jugs is very short. They will get broken in a bar environment no matter how good they are but they also have a short life span even if the surrvive intact due to the next new batch of jugs arriving to take their place.

The tat they sell in the distillery shop is generally the same as the promotional stuff and only makes up a small fraction of what is given out free.

Therefore they make sure they produce the cheapest product possible.

Of course you will get the really good ones in the shops at times but I do not think they are worth the money. A jug is a jug so go down to your local homestore and buy a proper one for half the price :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Leither » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:07 pm

A couple of months back I bought a small (it holds about 100 ml, if that) cut crystal jug in a charity shop for the princely sum of one pound sterling, it's perfect for adding a few drops to my cask strength stuff.

Some time ago I also acquired (from a bar who had some spare! :wink: ) a large Bowmore jug:

http://www.morrisonbowmoredistillerysho ... uct_id=928

...that I now use as my 'secret whisky piggy bank' to save up spare coins so I can buy another bottle of malt.

Save your cash for the nectar!
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:17 pm

I did vote "Functional item," cause I do use them, but I do also have a few for souvenir, collectable purposes of course!
Di Blasi

Postby Dubois » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:13 pm

As I never add any water, they have no function for me.
Therefore: souvenir !
Dubois

Postby les taylor » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:09 pm

I have eight different jugs. My favourite is the Loch Fyne Glug Glug Jug.
Which is made by Persabus pottery on Islay.
From some of the posts I can see that not everyone has a likening for them, but they are quite good fun.

:)
les taylor

Postby les taylor » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:10 pm

les taylor wrote:I have eight different jugs. My favourite is the Loch Fyne Glug Glug Jug.
Which is made by Persabus pottery on Islay.
From some of the posts I can see that not everyone has a likening for them, but they are quite good fun. Mostly souvenir.

:)
les taylor

Postby vitara7 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:28 pm

dont own a water jug, never have the need for one....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:38 am

On the rare occasion I water my dram, it comes from a plastic bottle of Poland Spring water sitting on my desk. --Which reminds me to ask...how long does it take water to go bad once opened? :?
Deactivated Member

Postby Mustardhead » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:44 am

I pour my water from the plastic bottle of Highland Spring, which sits on the floor by my desk, into the glass jug :)

It's all a matter of ceremony :P

Mostly the water is to swill out the glass and of course to keep me drinking less Scotch and more water......
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:49 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:On the rare occasion I water my dram, it comes from a plastic bottle of Poland Spring water sitting on my desk. --Which reminds me to ask...how long does it take water to go bad once opened? :?

dont know from "when opened"
but uk law states that the best before date on water in the uk is 1 full year from date of bottling for sparkling water, and 2 years from day of bottling for still water.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:45 am

I do try to be sure to strain out the visible swimming things.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:19 am

I have a small HP Jug, mostly as a souvenir, but it have been used a couple of times.

When I use water - I thansfer it with a straw so any glass or container is suitable.

Thus I have actually found a use for my tumblers :D
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:05 am

I have hundreds of them, it's quite amazing really since I usually add water from a plastic bottle. I have hundreds of ashtray also but don't smoke. :roll:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Ann-Helen » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:58 am

I don`t put water in my whisky but I have a watermug from Old pultney I bought it because I liked it and I use it when we have friends over for whisky evenings. :)
If I find some more nice jugs while we`re in scotland I`ll probably buy them. I think they are nice to display on a shelf.
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder