Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bowmore

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Bowmore

Postby r900p » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:50 pm

My local dram shop were telling me Bowmore are changing, in that dust etc are finishing and only a few ages will be on the market.

Whats really happening?

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:01 pm

That is indeed correct.
I recently saw an article on Singlemalt TV about Bowmore's repackaging.
As part of this, some if not all, of those Dawn, Dusk, Darkest expressions are going.
The labels are changing, the marketing budget is expanding, ................

à la Macallan, HP ....... Who's next?

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Caledonians » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:06 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:Who's next?

Dalmore... :wink:
Caledonians

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:08 pm

Caledonians wrote:
Malt-Teaser wrote:Who's next?

Dalmore... :wink:

Jura too?

I know that a certain large Indian distiller has been trying to buy out Whyte & Mackay, who own Jura and Dalmore...........

:?:
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:12 pm

Malt Teaser wrote:-

I know that a certain large Indian distiller has been trying to buy out Whyte & Mackay, who own Jura and Dalmore...........

Is it Amrut?

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:23 pm

jura has just repackaged for the second time in about 3 years.

dalmore is ment to be repackaging to what the single cask 20yo they done.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:26 pm

Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:26 pm

the darkest is staying, its been re packaged and is now branded with an age statment of 15 years
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:29 pm

Thanks for clarifying that V7,
I thought I recalled that one was staying under a different name, but couldn't remember which without looking at the channel again.

I do recall the major marketing argument I heard was that the new packaging was intended to convey "quality" using gold lettering and, I think, blacker or darker labels.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:32 pm

the darkest is staying, its been re packaged and is now branded with an age statment of 15 years

Has anyone tried Darkest recently? The last two bottles I purchased (about 2 to 3 years ago) were both pretty disappointing, so I haven't been back.

It struck me as one of those drams that was certainly capable of firing on all cylinders if the distillery got everything right.

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:16 pm

if i remember rightly, they old darkest without the age statment was about 12yo, i remember some lass at the distilery tell me that, or maybe it was 13yo..

now that its 15yo i think it would be interesting to see how or if it has changed or developed.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:29 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:That is indeed correct.
I recently saw an article on Singlemalt TV about Bowmore's repackaging.
As part of this, some if not all, of those Dawn, Dusk, Darkest expressions are going.
The labels are changing, the marketing budget is expanding, ................

à la Macallan, HP ....... Who's next?

MT

Everyone ! :?
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:14 am

i persoally think ardbeg should repackage...

(they'll prob be loads of folk now saying noooooooo never.......)
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:18 am

Nooooooo never!!

If it ain't f***ed don't fixit, say I!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:23 am

from a brand recognision point of veiw, ardbegs packaging is very very bad.
most whisky purchaces are made by folk for gifts etc, they go for the bottle that catches their eye, like women and cars, "i dont know what make it is, its a red one..."
dark green just doesnt catch someones eye on a shelf full of colours, compaired to other whisky on the shelfs in supermarkets etc, ardbeg looks very dated, the new glenmorangie tins catch the eye no to bad, lvhm have done it with them, and i think ardbeg could and should be next.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:09 am

Ardbeg is one of my favorites when it comes to pakaging. It is so dark and dreary looking, which matches the tarry, phenolic taste and smell. It gives Ardbeg this image like it's the official whisky or Mordor or whatever.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:13 am

peergynt323 wrote:It gives Ardbeg this image like it's the official whisky or Mordor or whatever.

My preciousssss...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:13 am

vitara7 wrote:I personally think ardbeg should repackage...
(there'll probably be loads of folk now saying noooooooo never.......)

:D
Seriously now, from a Graphic Artist perspective, which I studied at Uni, I personally find the Ardbeg packaging to be restful and pleasing to the eye. It stands out in it's subtlety from the herd and sings to me of a dark Celtic wind and ocean swept Isle.
Oh, right... noooooooo never........
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:11 am

Noooooooooo never!

I really like Ardbegs packing - a bottle of Ardbeg looks tremendous next to almost any other bottle.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:35 am

Jan wrote :-

I really like Ardbegs packing - a bottle of Ardbeg looks tremendous next to almost any other bottle.

I agree and the shape of the Beastie bottle looks quite menacing and exciting. British Racing Green is well smart Could you imagine Ardbeg in a clear bottle or even blue. It would look more like a nasty Liebfraumilch.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby r900p » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:10 pm

Does anyone have a picture of this new packaging that they could post, cheers,

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:29 pm

On the packaging note, I think Absolut vodka recently tinkered with their original packagin (you know, the clear bottle)... it was a disaster! They quickly reverted back to their original packaging. Smart guys, these vodka marketers!
Oliver
Silver Member

Packaging

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:37 pm

Personally, I like the new Bowmore packaging and never really cared for the old. I think the new one is crisper, sharper and more distinctive. The old style seemed to have rather a lot going on on the label and nothing particularly stood out. I'm not so sure about the bottle shape, though. I thing the "corner" around the shoulder is fussy and I'd prefer to see a straight sided bottle. If they want to be different, they could try wine bottle shape or Stagg shape.

I'm also not a fan of the Ardbeg pachaging. The olive green, black and gold scheme seems rather dated without being retro yet - and the A in Ardbeg looks contrived (and I know it comes from the Book of Kells). The overall effect is that it seems caught between 1960s drear and Scottish/Celtic souvenir tat. I swear it was the Ardbeg packaging that meant it took me so many years before I bothered to try the stuff. But, having said that, the packaging is distinctive and has a significant thread of continuity over the years. I can imagine it would reassure the many fans of their whisky - so they would probably upset a lot of people if they did change it.

In terms of changes for the worse, I think Highland Park will come to regret their change of approach. The images of Orkney were very evocative - even if people didn't realise where they were. The idea of dropping them in favour of a plain lettered label seems perverse - if the pictures were confusing then the bottles should have incorporated an explanation on the back of the bottle.

The king of packaging, though, must be Murray McDavid for its packaging of the Bruichladdich brand - and the prince must be SMWS for their 26 Malts collection.
Deactivated Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:49 pm

They could be like the Tequila bottlers and blow the glass to look like a stalk of barley or have second chambers inside with a different whisky in it. That is an industry that has gone overboard on packaging design.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:00 pm

lbacha wrote:They could ... have second chambers inside with a different whisky in it.

They could use the second chamber for the port/tokay/rum/cognac/bordeaux/etc. so you could choose whether to have your whisky "finished" or have it as nature intended.
Deactivated Member

Postby Arthur Motley » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:04 pm

In response to Vitara7...
I've tried the new Bowmore 15 Darkest at the distillery and really enjoyed it. Great combination of sherry cask character and vanilla-rich bourbon casks. Reminded me of a generous drizzle of PX sherry on good quality vanilla ice cream. Definitely a notch up on recent bottlings of Darkest in my opinion.
Arthur Motley

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:54 pm

cheers for that arthur
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:45 pm

the new darkest 15, what the difference, is there a difference, i thought that the only change was the packaging.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:58 pm

rob, its not just the packaging thats changed with the darkest, it now has an age statment of 15yo, where are before i was bottled at about 12 - 13yo
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:51 am

Sorry to keep going on about Bowmore folks, but still sufing the net and found bowmore, surf, voyage and mariner, are these finishing being re-packaged too?

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:35 pm

Today I received the notification about Bowmore's repackaging from my German distributor.
The presentations are not what I originally thought they would be and I have to say that I do NOT particularly like the new labels.

I understood this was supposed to be a change to reflect more of a "quality" image. In addition, I had heard that they wanted to "tidy" the label a little as the current one was felt to be too confusing.
Well, they have tidied it, but to me it now looks plain and almost tacky.
Sorry Bowmore, but this is not a quality image in my opinion.

MT

Deactivated Member

Postby thehoj » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:22 am

peergynt323 wrote:Ardbeg is one of my favorites when it comes to pakaging. It is so dark and dreary looking, which matches the tarry, phenolic taste and smell. It gives Ardbeg this image like it's the official whisky or Mordor or whatever.

Exactly my thoughts! I love the Ardbeg packaging for it's medieval look.
thehoj

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:31 pm

...or as my American blues harp playing lady friend said after trying her first dram of Ardbeg 10:

"Bottle looks and tastes like something the Vikings drank before thay sailed into battle..."
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:53 pm

Are you kidding? The Vikings weren't that cultured!! :)
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jan » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:59 pm

Admiral wrote:Are you kidding? The Vikings weren't that cultured!! :)

Ahem... care to rephrase that, friend?

Regards
A descendant of the aforementioned vikings... :wink:

(Set sail men - we are visiting Australia next, I think 8)
Jan
Gold Member

Next

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder