Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky/Cigars ???

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Whisky/Cigars ???

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:07 am

Is it ok to smoke a cigar when drinking a single malt? I have heard some people say that the taste of the cigar will interfere with the taste of the whisky. Is this true? What do you guys think?
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:13 am

I've tried it. I wouldn't say that it interferes too much, especially with a smokey whisky. However, it does harm your sense of smell, so your experience will be markedly different.

As for me, I just don't like to be swallowing all of that tar and nicotine that the cigar leaves in my mouth. It makes me a little fidgety/headachy.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:43 am

Smoking a cigar with your malt in most of the places I drink malts will result in a sharp pain at the back of your head.
Deactivated Member

Postby EdipisReks » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:33 am

i don't smoke cigars with scotch too terribly often. a good cigar with a nice dram of bourbon or rye, sitting on my porch on a sunny day with a good friend is a special pleasure, however.
EdipisReks
Bronze Member

Postby EdipisReks » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:34 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Smoking a cigar with your malt in most of the places I drink malts will result in a sharp pain at the back of your head.

be careful, that might result in a burning sensation in the center of your forehead ;)
EdipisReks
Bronze Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:48 am

I often enjoy the 2 together! Although only at home. I would like to get to one of the cigar bars in town just for the experience that's all...I should note I have actually been to the bars but I haven't lit up :?
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:29 am

As it says in Issue 61 it's 'After dinner heaven'. They have a whole article dedicated to the joy of good cigar with your after dinner dram.

Strangely enough, none of the cigars I have ever smoked has resulted in a sharp pain in the back of the head.

These days I usually sit in my back garden, watch the sun set over the rolling Bedfordshire country side as the mists slowly creep in from the Chilterns, the birds singing and the Muntjacks barking in the distance, with a malt in one hand and cigar in the other.

As Paul Simon wrote: I touch no one and no one touches me.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:28 pm

EdipisReks wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Smoking a cigar with your malt in most of the places I drink malts will result in a sharp pain at the back of your head.

be careful, that might result in a burning sensation in the center of your forehead ;)

Not me! I am only describing local conditions, not making a statement of intent. :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby BubbaC » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:17 am

I would say give it a try, just like whiskey there are a ton of cigars on the market and such a wide variety of flavors. The experience varies depending on a)the type of whiskey and b)the type of the cigar. It'll take a bit of mix and matching, but I prefer the Punch Rare Corojo with a Glenmorangie Port Wood. Just my personal opinion...
BubbaC

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:54 am

I agree with BubbaC on all aspects! :wink: It can be almost a hobby...trying to find 'your' perfect cigar to match with 'your' ideal
whisk(e)y...

One of my favourites...
Avo Uvezian Robusto Tubos + Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit(from '94)
The Avo is quite mild and has a creamy flavour and the wild turkey is very toffee and caramel...the 2 go together just fantastic!

One piece of valuable advice...Invest in a good humidor!!!
I also believe that the glass or acrylic top humidors are great but as long as they are kept out of the sunlight!!! Don't put it near a window.
I actually have 4 humidors :shock:
One for flavoured cigars - You must keep these seperate from the natural unflavoured cigars!!
One for 'cheap' cigars...basicly one's for guests that haven't had a cigar before and would like to try one and just in general.
My personal one...got some of the best cigars in this one, Cohiba Esplendidos, Davidoff No.2's(Cuban) and my Avo's(nearly out of these :cry: )
And I have an old one which I am not currently using.
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Nock » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:29 am

That was how I got into drinking single malts :lol:
I wanted to drink something with my cigar
and I personally dislike the combination of beer and a cigar
(I know . . . call me crazy)

These days I don't smoke that many cigars
But my favorite combination was this past birthday
I had a Cohiba Siglo III
with a Laphroaig 10yo cask strength

I found the strong flavors really complemented each other.

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:15 am

Whisky and Cigar Challenge 2006
http://www.cigarbuyer.co.uk/online/whisky_and_cigars/

I also like a Coffee, Cigar and Whisky , if you get it right it is a great combination of flavours, but it doesnt always work. Last night was a strong Columbian coffee, Trinidad Reyes and Glenlivet '72 :)
Matt2

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:24 am

Oh dear, no hope for me then:
I don't smoke and don't drink coffee.

Maybe I should just have another malt with my malt?
:?:
Deactivated Member

Postby EdipisReks » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:18 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:Oh dear, no hope for me then:

maybe malt and a nice rye ;)
EdipisReks
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:51 am

EdipisReks wrote:

Now you're giving me ideas!
Maybe I can stick with a Scottish malt, Irish Pure Pot Still (back to that Redbreast 15 again) and a Rye.

:lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:11 pm

Hey MT...I would like to give a suggestion for your Rye compliment - A montecristo joyita...I haven't had the combo myself as yet but I think the 2 would go together quite well.

Hey Matt, you have a nice refined taste there mate :wink:
I actually had tonight after dinner...a really strong coffee with a drop of Espresso Liqueur(distilled coffee beans 18% Alc/Vol) and a Punch(cigar that is...lol)
YUM!!
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Bullie » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:18 pm

I just love to smoke a cigar, while zipping on a heavily sherried malt. F/X a very tasty panaleta with a dram of Mortlach is yummy yummy!

But I don't evaluate whiskies at this stage, just enjoying the moments... :D
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:59 am

I am glad to see some smokers in here, we all need to stand together as the world attempts to evict us on to the streets :)

Scotland - Banned, Ireland - Banned, England - Banned summer 07 :cry:
Matt2

Postby EdipisReks » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:42 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:
EdipisReks wrote:

Now you're giving me ideas!
Maybe I can stick with a Scottish malt, Irish Pure Pot Still (back to that Redbreast 15 again) and a Rye.

:lol:

that sounds like a fantastic combination.
EdipisReks
Bronze Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:14 pm

Matt if your ever in Oz, please make sure you drop us a line!! :wink:
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:35 pm

Here is something I am hoping to acquire within the next few months...

I will be getting 2 or 3 for myself to use for my personal cigars and for members of my VIP group and I am hoping to retail them...
It's the best looking cabinet I have found and I have to import this too.
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:29 pm

"Pass The Koutchie 'pon the lef' han' side..."

...but i could NEVER smoke a cigar! After years of "reggae cigarettes" tobacco in more than minute doses still makes me dizzy. And for me, smoke tends to corrupt the flavours of malt.

But it's horses for courses as this thread highlights. Upmarket licquor stores such as the Vintage House in soho have cigars prominently on display...

I for one look forward to the smoking ban. On more than one occasion i have lost my voice singing in a place that's like a smoke box.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:02 pm

Reggae I'm sort of with you on the smoking 'thing'(I don't like the word ban!)

The smoking topic is really a tough one...and I can see BOTH sides!! Even being a smoker...
For one, I myself do not like smoke around food! But I enjoy going outside into the fresh air after a meal for a cigarette :?
And in Pubs and so forth, I sort of don't think it's such a bad thing...at least I have cut down my smoking...and believe it or not I enjoy my cigarette more after a nice meal now...it sort of compliments the meal in a way - Like a Cigar :wink:

Also there are big differences between the tobacco in cigars and cigarettes...the tobacco for cigars is aged and cured, hence a lot of the bad crap is allowed to escape, not the same with cigarette tobacco.
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:10 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:"Pass The Koutchie 'pon the lef' han' side..."

...but i could NEVER smoke a cigar! After years of "reggae cigarettes" tobacco in more than minute doses still makes me dizzy

LOL...Hahaha :lol: Now I could be totally off the mark here but am I reading between the lines what I think I'm reading between lines??
And If so...my comment above is just Way off!! :lol: But still valid. :wink:
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:39 pm

LicquorBaron asks: "am I reading between the lines what I think I'm reading between lines??"

Depends what you've been smoking, I guess...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:26 pm

I like the odd cigar and an even one too :P but it is really a summer time pass time for me.

I have a box of RAFAEL GONZALEZ on the go and a couple FLOR DE CANO left in my desk top humidor. Hoping for a few nice days.

I like having one after a barbie with a bourbon and ice. For me bourbon and cigars go well together aand yes sherry monsters would do it for me too. Don't really like to puff smoke while drinking smoke :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby BubbaC » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:01 pm

A nice cigar and single malt can really put a nice finish on a dinner too. I find that most frequently it's when I have an exquisite meal, sitting on a porch enjoying a nice cigar and malt. I cannot wait for winter to be over!
BubbaC

Postby Elagabalus » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:22 pm

This thread was started to ask about cigars. I didn't set out to start a topic for anti smoking nutcases to jump in and rant about how they hate cigarette smoke. I (and many others) have to deal with nutcases like that on a daily basis. This is my refuge from their unasked for opinions. I agree with Matt. The anti smoking coalition is growing ever more powerful and we need to stand together to create a united front against these most vile aggressors!!.

What I find funny is when a morbidly obese individual says that I should quit smoking because it's unhealthy and it stinks. My usual reply to these types is "If I wanted your opinion, I would liposuction it out of you." I can always go home and have a shower and change clothes. He/She will always be a fat pig and their obesity is far more unhealthy, than me having a few cigs a day.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:02 pm

"we need to stand together to create a united front against these most vile aggressors!!"

Who, the anti-smoking lobby, or the corporations who have gotten rich and fat pushing their cancerous product on the world,while some have no choice but to inhale others' lung clogging smoke?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:11 pm

Funny, I was just feeling sort of bad about the fact that every time a cigar thread comes up, we nonsmokers feel compelled to jump in and rain on your parade. I guess we feel it's a lot less noxious than being subjected to someone else's smoke, but one rudeness does not excuse another, and I for one will resolve to refrain from such comments in the future, at least on threads which obviously are not directed at me. To each his own. But, to answer your comments directly, calling us "nutcases" and "vile aggressors", when all we want is not to be subjected involuntarily to an unpleasant and unhealthy atmosphere, only furthers the widespread impression that smokers know little and care less about the billowing effect their habit has on those around them. Ad hominem arguments involving morbidly obese persons aren't particularly impressive, either. Fortunately, I know from what I've read that most of the folks here who do enjoy a cigar are quite reasonable, and it's fair enough to expect that we leave each other be.
Deactivated Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:29 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:when all we want is not to be subjected involuntarily to an unpleasant and unhealthy atmosphere

Then don't voluntarily enter a place that has an unhealthy atmosphere. Doh! :wink:

The worst non-smokers are the ones who don't even go out to bars or clubs and still demand they become non-smoking. I don't care about the vast majority of bars (they are usually full of idiots anyway), but it would be nice to see some tolerance and leave us at least a couple of smoking places. I could rant on this topic for months, but I've got to go and cough up a lung ...... :)

Anyway, back to Cigars, had a Cohiba Sig 1 and Linkwood 12 last night, worked quite well with the slightly sweet, lightly smokey Linkwood, and the Siglo 1 is the perfect size, anything bigger and I struggle to finish it.

Nice humidor LB, although it will cost a bit to fill it. Mine always looks a bit sparse with 1 or 2 cigs rolling around in the bottom.

Elagabalus - :lol: , funny, but lets not start a war (just yet anyway)

"reggae cigarette" - about time they decriminalised those as well - we are adults, let us make our own decisions about what we put inside our bodies 8)
Last edited by Matt2 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt2

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:14 am

Matt you are far too diplomatic! :wink:

But I agree totally with you...however I can see Mr.T's point of view also. There are some terribly inconsiderate smokers out there, likewise for drinkers, alcoholism gives liquor consumption a bad name and cancer(of which I still disagree with a lot of the facts and figures) and the 'unhealthyness' of cigarettes(cigars are totally different to cigarettes!!) gives the same perception to smokers...
:?
Does that make any sense...?? It did while I was writing...lol

Matt Page wrote:"reggae cigarette" - about time they decriminalised those as well - we are adults, let us make our own decisions about what we put inside our bodies

Hmmm...my view - If every one had just one of these a week, there would be less war and fighting, mainly because people couldn't be stuffed man(haha), although work output may become a little less as a consequence.
Again probably a hundred different threads could be started on that...

And so back to Elagabalus primary topic - Cigars!!
Matt Page wrote:Nice humidor LB, although it will cost a bit to fill it.(Not when I retail them :wink: ) Mine always looks a bit sparse with 1 or 2 cigs rolling around in the bottom.

Cheers Matt! However I still have yet to pay for it and have it imported from Europe somewhere...forgot where exactly :?
I got a topic for a new thread or should we post here...??
"Show us your Humidor/s"
Ok...I have started the thread - http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5570
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:36 pm

[/b]Matt Page The war began long ago, and we are losing terribly! Now I know how Hitler felt when the Russians were advancing on one side, and the British/American from the other side.

I don't know why we can't have bars for smokers, and bars for non smokers. For smokers we could have lots of windows and tons of extraction fans/air purifiers etc etc.

"Experts" blame smoking for innumerable illnesses. When was the last time they blamed rampant pollution for the like. I'm not saying smoking isn't bad for you, of course it is. But let's put things in perspective. A town in my own Canadian province of Ontario called Meaford (where they grow apples and use pesticides) has a HIGH rate of birth defects/deformities. It would be absurd to blame smoking for this. Of course you don't see them using less pesticides on the apples!! It's just so bloody irritating that the sheeple can be so vehemently anti smoking and be so ignorant of the toxic environment we ALL live in, smoking aside. I guess it is easier and less costly to find zealots for a single cause, then for many causes. Think how all the high ranking officials in industries that pollute the environment and aid in destroying the planet must smile with relief when they hear the voices of the masses denounce smoking, which in turn becomes a diversion to these other more deadly toxins being emitted by THEM. If everyone quit smoking the anti smoking zealots would have nothing to do. These industry officials would have to come up with something else or else become a target themselves! (As they should be!!) I bet they would fund research and organisations denouncing cows as harmful to the ozone layer which in turn is cause for the rapid increase of skin cancers!! KILL ALL COWS!! You would have anti cow symbols. lol What a world we live in. How terribly humorous and grotesquely scary.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:04 pm

Elagabalus you do make me laugh and keep us on the right side (or is that wrong side) of the Politically Correct crowd - always good to push the boundaries :D

Of course there is the argument that people will have to work in the smokey bar, but then I wouldn't dream of working in a bar if I didn't smoke. Kind of like getting a job on a building site and then complaining because it is cold, wet and back breaking work and expect it to shut down till the sun comes out.

I walk to work and back every day, keeps me a bit fitter (and a chance to cough up all that tar), but I have to walk along busy congested roads with 100s of cars, buses and lorries spewing out tonnes of toxic gases directly in my face. If I see one more 4x4 sitting in a city centre traffic jam I'm going to :twisted: :evil: ....

The nanny state and sue everyone climate has just gone too far. We live in a dangerous and dirty world and will all die at some point - get used to it and enjoy it while you can.

On the other hand (how many do I have?) I think many smokers have been intolerant to non-smokers and has pushed the issue to the bans. I never smoke in a restaurant and sometimes choose not to light up if I'm with non-smokers. Funny how the smoke always drifts towards the one person not smoking :)

Anyway, all this talk of cigars I thought I would treat myself and just bought a box of Monti No.5's. Time to find a 4x4 driver, climb in the back seat and spark it up. :lol:
Matt2

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Lots of interesting points in this discussion. Here's my take on it: I quit smoking two and a half years ago and I never looked back. I've been smoking since I was 11 untill I was 33 and have always been reasonably fit and healthy. I do enjoy a smoke free bar but I don't mind a smoke filled one either. However, the scents from good cigars are miles better than the standard cigarette.

Personally I think the ideal solution would be if there were bars where smoking was allowed and smokefree bars for those who choose to frequent such places. In my view smoking is a voluntary thing and if one is uncomortable with smoking one can always go somewhere else - the aerobic crowd and health freaks can go to a fruit bar and drink lemonade and leave the propper places to propper people.

I'd go with the smoke filled bar any day!
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Next

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder