Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Good place to stay on Islay

General chat and talk about whisky.

Good place to stay on Islay

Postby kljostad » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:20 am

Last year my girlfriend gave me a trip to Islay for my birthday. I know, I am probably the luckiest man alive.

We are planning to do the trip in march, and we have sorted out what destilleries to visit. What we need now, is to find a good place to stay. Does anyone have a suggestion? We need to accomodate three people, me, my girlfriend and our 7 month old son.

If you have any other suggestions regarding restaurants and things to do, that will also be grately appreciated.

Kjell
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:26 am

It depends on your budget. You won't go far wrong with the Port Charlotte Hotel. Great food and a good Whisky Menu as well.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:32 am

les taylor wrote:It depends on your budget. You won't go far wrong with the Port Charlotte Hotel. Great food and a good Whisky Menu as well.

I'll second that. We were also able to watch dolphins and sea otters from our window.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:36 am

Exactly and you can almost walk to Bruichladdich from it.

les taylor

Postby Bullie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:46 am

I really like the people of Bowmore Hotel. :D And the food there is tasty as well!
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:13 am

if you fancy somthing a bit more personal, theres a b&b in port ellen called the oystercatcher. very very nice....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby jotter » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:23 am

We are heading out there in the first week of April and are staying in the Bowmore cottages. Apparently they were refurbed the december before last so hopefully they will be nice.
jotter

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:32 am

Give Christine Logan a try! She was at Bowmore for years, is an Islay native, and now runs Christine's Tours,
http://www.ladyoftheisles.co.uk
I don't know about costs/charges but she's a top recommendation from John MacLellan, distillery manager at Bunnahabhain.
Have fun kljostad!
Di Blasi

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:21 pm

les taylor wrote:Exactly and you can almost walk to Bruichladdich from it.

Walking to Bruichladdich is no problem at all, walking back however . . .
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:37 pm

I totally enjoyed my stay at the Lochside Hotel in Bowmore for a week last summer, good food and pub with Duffies pub just next door, in sight of the Bowmore Distillery and just a couple of doors down from the Islay Whisky Shop. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:59 pm

If you can afford the Port Charlotte, that would be my first choice. It has a top-notch restaurant and the best pub, I think, on the island. You might be able to find a B&B in PC or Bruichladdich if you need to be more budget conscious, or a self-catering flat if you're staying a wek or close to it. The Academy House at Bruichladdich, if available, is special in its way, but the accommodations are a bit spartan. (On the other hand, there's usually a bottle sitting on the counter in the dining room.)

Be sure to see the Kildalton Cross, and try to get to Finlaggan, as well. And take a long walk on the Big Strand. I haven't been able to get into the Museum of Islay Life in PC, but it's supposed to be good. Make the loop drive around the Rhinns, and have lunch in the pub in Portnahaven, if you can find it! Leave plenty of time for your tours--don't try to cram too many in on one day--and make the trip to Jura if you can. And leave plenty of time for blether in the shop after your tour of Bruichladdich, especially if Mr McEwan happens to be about.
Deactivated Member

Postby martin grant » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:59 pm

If you enjoy a game of golf, I would suggest The Machrie, which has a fantastic course as part of the hotel. No need to worry about bringing your clubs all the way, as you can hire some when you get there. As with most other places on the island the food is also very good.
Enjoy your trip wherever you stay
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:03 pm

ill second that martin, the food at the machrie is very good, we go at least one to the machrie every year were over.
the lochside is great for a meal too, but book early as its always full, especially at the whisky festival, ( weve booked for 9 the first day of the festival at the lochside, had to book a couple of months ago just to secure a reservation.... )
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:11 pm

The Bowmore cottages are fantastic, i'm not sure what the price is but if it isn't too bad the experience is great, I got to wake up at 6:30am and help the stillmen with some of their work. A real neat experience.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:14 pm

would have been better if it was 8.30 or 9.00 rather than 6.30.......
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:25 pm

Yeah it was a little tough waking up but I couldn't pass on the oportunity and the sunrise over town was great from the front door,

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:34 pm

wow, thats some veiw.... maybe i should get up early once in a while....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:56 pm

Guys,

Thanks for all your great advise! I finally chose the Port Charlotte Hotel. They had a 3-for-2-night offer, so we just had to stay one extra night on Islay to get full value. Oooooh, the pain! :-)

Also thanks for tips regarding restaurants and stuff to do. They where greately appreciated!

Have any of you been to the Kilchoman Destillery? I read about it on their web-pages, and it sounded interesting, so I booked a tour. It is even possible to book a 5 day total destilling experience, but that will have to be for next time.

Di Blasi: I hope to retur to Bergen later this month. I hope to find time to visit your exellent whisky-bar. The last time I where there, the barman played the new Tom Waits album. Whisky+Tom Waits=the Perfect Combination!

Regards, Kjell
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:13 pm

The trip out to Kilchoman is neat it is way off the beaten path which is saying alot for Islay, If you are there with the wife there is a nice beach alittle way past the distillery that I wouldn't have visited if it wasn't for taking the trip out.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:18 pm

Here is a picture it is Machir Bay

lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:28 am

Where ever you stay do NOT stay at the White Hart. :evil:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby mikeymad » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:38 am

Wave wrote:I totally enjoyed my stay at the Lochside Hotel in Bowmore for a week last summer, good food and pub with Duffies pub just next door, in sight of the Bowmore Distillery and just a couple of doors down from the Islay Whisky Shop. :wink:

Cheers!

My friend and I (ganga) stayed there way back in 2000 when Alistair was the proprietor. It was a part of a whisky weekend. We had tours in the day and many beverages through the night. It was literally one of the absolute best times of my life.

Can't speak of the current owners, but the pictures look nice.

Cheers.
mikeymad

Postby The Dazzler » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:01 am

Kljostad,

you made a fine choice with the Port Charlotte, an excellent hotel. One of the more pricier options but make sure you at least have one evening meal there it is superb. And the whisky selection is amazing, (hope you like your Islay malts).

Another must for evening meal is the Harbour inn, superb, and fantastic views across the Lochindaal. This is right in the heart of Bowmore so you can sample the delights in the Lochside and the Bowmore hotel as well as a tour of the Bowmore distillery.

I also reccomend you contact Christine Logan, as Di Blasi mentioned above as she will provide a tour that no one else could ever. A days touring with her and you will feel like a local in no time. When are you heading out????

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby kljostad » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:59 pm

We are heading out the second week in March. Can't wait!
kljostad
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder