Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Isle of Jura 1975 Kingsbury & Co btl#108/129

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Isle of Jura 1975 Kingsbury & Co btl#108/129

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:48 am

Hello, I was recently given a bottle of this 2/3's full by a friend. It was aged in a sherry cask #2786 and is one of only 129 bottles. Anybody have any idea if this is a very good/rare/valuable bottle? Thanks!
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:59 am

You say 2/3 full.
Has it suffered evaporation but still originally sealed, or has it been opened?
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:04 pm

My guess a little quaffing has been taken here. :wink:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:04 pm

Oh, the bottle has been opened. Apparently his import company has a heap of bottles in their cupboards that he and his staff have opened and tasted. He also gave me a 26yr old HP 3/4's full :D (incredibly good). Both whiskies are cask strength.
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:10 pm

I'm wondering about the Kingsbury bottler?? I recently found out that it's Japan Import System, but haven't found any site or any additional information about this. I have seen a few different bottlings here in Norway from Kingsbury, and nowhere else. Maybe they all go to Japan. Yes indeed, they seem to hand-number each bottle, and there are very few from each cask.
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:15 pm

As collectibles, opened bottles are not really valuable at all. Collectors really don't mind some evaporation, (obviously the less evaporation, the higher the value) but the bottle must be originally sealed.

All I can say is carry on drinking them.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:31 pm

Thanks Malt-Teaser, I wasn't thinking of collecting or selling the bottle, just wondering about it.
Actually, it is the first Isle of Jura I have ever tasted, and to be honest I don't really like the distillery character, if this is anything to go by. I can tell it's old and great quality, it's just the taste doesn't suit me. According to my friend it scored VERY highly amongst him and his colleagues, it's just not for me.
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:33 pm

Di Biasi, I will find out from my friend some more info about Kingsbury, he imports their stuff so he should know all about it.
KiwiBoyInJapan

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:44 pm

Late last year I used a Murray McDavid Jura in one of my tastings and it was not too bad at all.

When a few people tried a second dram at the end of the tasting, they commented that even though their palates had been obliterated by some stronger tasting drams, the Jura just didn't change, it was a good dram which still 'performed' well, no matter what else they had tasted beforehand.

From memory, if I am correct, I seem to recall lots of hay and leafy notes.

Secondly, at Whisky Live i nGlasgow last year, I was fortunate enough to try a Jura 33 years old original distillery bottling. Superb!

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby fishboy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:50 pm

I second that M-T the 33yo jura at WL was wonderful. I also rate some of their younger peated malts. I bought a couple of the Festival bottles last year (seven year old peated jura's at cask strength) - I thought they were something else. I think there is a lot to come from this distillery as they continue to prove their standard bottlings and as their peated varient reaches maturity.
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:54 pm

fishboy,
were we perhaps both in the same room and never actually met?

Hopefully we will another time.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby fishboy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:56 pm

I'll be going again this year (although it has been moved to November) so hopefully we can meet and say hello!
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:04 pm

KiwiBoyInJapan wrote:Di Biasi, I will find out from my friend some more info about Kingsbury, he imports their stuff so he should know all about it.

Great KiwiBoyInJapan, looking forward to the info about this mysterious bottler!!
Di Blasi
Di Blasi

Postby les taylor » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:29 pm

MT I reckon we must have gone to different schools together at different times. :wink:
les taylor

Postby kildalton » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:04 pm

kiwiBoyInJapan I really hope you will be able to provide us with infos about kingsbury.
I even started a tread some time ago in order to know something more...
As Di Blasi said it will be very great if You'll succeed.
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby KiwiBoyInJapan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:27 am

Thanks guys, I will be seeing my friend this weekend for tennis, I will ask him bout Kingsbury then.
By the by, I don't suppose anyone reading this thread lives in Yokohama or Tokyo, and would like to swap something for this opened bottle? It has to be drunk coz it's been opened, but it seems a shame for me to battle through it when I don't really like it, and all my friends here are whisky novices (although I'm trying to educate them) and proably wouldn't like this challenging taste profile. I would be willing to take something of lesser value, opened or not. I have a few other bottles 80%+ full that I would like to trade too (not rare ones)...Is there a forum somewhere for trading bottles?
KiwiBoyInJapan

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder