Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

FAKE BOTTLE OF WHISKY

All your whisky related questions answered here.

FAKE BOTTLE OF WHISKY

Postby vitara7 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:32 pm

just browsing through ebay there and came across this bottle, 270085241682

an 8yo loch dhu but in a rectangular bottle.

ive seen this bottle or one like it beofr eon the mm's web site or some other web site and it was saying this is a fake, anyone able to shed more light on it?
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:35 pm

the only other bottle of loch dhu ive seen is 10yo, and thats the real ones.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:50 pm

I've just looked it up on Malt Maniacs and they say it is inconclusive but suspect. Did the real Loch Dhu have anything on the label to indicate its origin (i.e. Mannochmore Distillery) coz this one doesn't.
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:58 pm

the original loch dhu has a couple of mentions to mannachmore, one being a big red circular symbol saying mannochmore distillery in red.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:59 pm

the original loch dhu has a couple of mentions to mannachmore, one being a big red circular symbol saying mannochmore distillery in red.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:32 pm

If anyone's seriously bothered, an e-mail inquiry to Diageo's archives in Menstrie should result in official confirmation or denial of the authenticity of the bottle.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:01 am

The word 'fake' always puts the s*1T up me. Oh dear oh dear.
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:15 am

That's nothing. I saw a copy of Led Zeppelin's "Coda" on ebay, 100% genuine, signed by all four members.

Coda was released in November 1982. John Bonham died in September 1980... :roll:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:57 am

Good tip vitara7, thanks for the heads up! Looks pretty real, Japanese characters on the back label and everything! But of course it's always best to check into something questionable, especially with such a hefty price tag!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue May 15, 2007 10:53 pm

I'm not making accusations here at all, by the way, but would you say these bottles are legit? The older ones, that is...

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MACALLANDIA
Aidan

Postby les taylor » Wed May 16, 2007 8:29 am

Aidan if you go the listings page of your link check out the Port Charlotte and the Bruichladdich WMD. They look very strange. The colour looks dark and thick like gravy. HHHmmm.

:o
les taylor

Postby Aidan » Wed May 16, 2007 8:42 am

les taylor wrote:Aidan if you go the listings page of your link check out the Port Charlotte and the Bruichladdich WMD. They look very strange. The colour looks dark and thick like gravy. HHHmmm.

I'm always suspicious when I see those old macallans and the like up for sale on ebay, especially when they're from an Italian seller. That said, maybe this particular seller is totally legit.
Aidan

Postby les taylor » Wed May 16, 2007 9:00 am

Aidan wrote:
les taylor wrote:Aidan if you go the listings page of your link check out the Port Charlotte and the Bruichladdich WMD. They look very strange. The colour looks dark and thick like gravy. HHHmmm.

I'm always suspicious when I see those old macallans and the like up for sale on ebay, especially when they're from an Italian seller. That said, maybe this particular seller is totally legit.

Aidan I had another look and whether it be the Macallan Brichladdich or the Ardbeg all the whiskies have the same colour and they look drab with no clarity to them. Alledgedly it looks not quite right to me.
les taylor

Postby vitara7 » Tue May 22, 2007 7:14 pm

maybe he cancelled them all when he knew les was on to him... :lol:
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Tue May 22, 2007 8:08 pm

Aidan wrote:I'm always suspicious when I see those old macallans and the like up for sale on ebay, especially when they're from an Italian seller. That said, maybe this particular seller is totally legit.

Aidan, what prompts the suspicion about the Italian sellers? Don't want to put you on the spot, so please PM me if that's better.

Thanks much!
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue May 22, 2007 9:41 pm

vitara7 wrote:maybe he cancelled them all when he knew les was on to him... :lol:

:shock:
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 23, 2007 4:42 am

Sherried Malt wrote:
Aidan wrote:I'm always suspicious when I see those old macallans and the like up for sale on ebay, especially when they're from an Italian seller. That said, maybe this particular seller is totally legit.

Aidan, what prompts the suspicion about the Italian sellers? Don't want to put you on the spot, so please PM me if that's better.

Thanks much!

There have been a lot of fakes out of Italy, particularly, I gather, from one unscrupulous character. I think it is unfortunate that anything out of Italy is regarded with suspicion; it strikes me as an unfair prejudice, tantamount to racism. Certainly there are many legitimate and avid collectors in Italy--there must be, or there wouldn't be predators trying to dupe them. Likewise, there are frauds in every country. Why does a high-profile crook in Italy cast doubt every bottle offered for sale from that country, when the same seems not to be true of other shady dealers in other countries?

I don't mean to get down on anyone. I just think it's worth questioning certain knee-jerk reactions. And truth to tell, I am not a collector myself, and cannot say with any degree of honesty that if I were, I would not think the same thing.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Wed May 23, 2007 8:56 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Sherried Malt wrote:

Thanks much!

There have been a lot of fakes out of Italy, particularly, I gather, from one unscrupulous character. I think it is unfortunate that anything out of Italy is regarded with suspicion; it strikes me as an unfair prejudice, tantamount to racism. Certainly there are many legitimate and avid collectors in Italy--there must be, or there wouldn't be predators trying to dupe them. Likewise, there are frauds in every country. Why does a high-profile crook in Italy cast doubt every bottle offered for sale from that country, when the same seems not to be true of other shady dealers in other countries?

I don't mean to get down on anyone. I just think it's worth questioning certain knee-jerk reactions. And truth to tell, I am not a collector myself, and cannot say with any degree of honesty that if I were, I would not think the same thing.

Utter nonsense. First of all, I was asking the forum if they thought these bottles were legitimate because Italian sellers have been identified as fraudsters for selling very similar bottles through eBay.

Second, I think it is unusual that such rare bottles are sold on eBay, rather than an auction house that can confirm the authenticity of the bottles.

Third, I qualified my comments by saying that I was not accusing this seller of anything, but just asking the forum's opinion.

Fourth, I do not cast doubts on everything sold out of Italy. I wouldn't have the time if I wanted to. Nor does anyone else.

And I believe most of the Italian fraudsters are probably the same guy under different names. Which certainly doesn't make them most Italians.

Raceism? That's utter poppycock, and irresponsible.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 23, 2007 2:08 pm

Aidan, I'm sorry, I wasn't referring to you or this specific case, just talking generally about the way people nod and wink any time the words "Italian" and "whisky" appear in the same sentence. Sorry if that was not clear, but I think if you read my post carefully, you'll see I was not making any such specific charge. I suppose my musing was out of place here, but I stand by it. I am open to discussion.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Wed May 23, 2007 4:21 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Aidan, I'm sorry, I wasn't referring to you or this specific case, just talking generally about the way people nod and wink any time the words "Italian" and "whisky" appear in the same sentence. Sorry if that was not clear, but I think if you read my post carefully, you'll see I was not making any such specific charge. I suppose my musing was out of place here, but I stand by it. I am open to discussion.

No need to apologise - it's no problem at all. It wasn't an angry post, I was just laying out the position as I see it.

I have bought plenty of whiskey from Italy and there are hundreds if not thousands of reputable sellers from Italy.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 23, 2007 4:26 pm

All is groovy.
Deactivated Member

Re: FAKE BOTTLE OF WHISKY

Postby Lawrence » Wed May 23, 2007 4:41 pm

vitara7 wrote:just browsing through ebay there and came across this bottle, 270085241682

an 8yo loch dhu but in a rectangular bottle.

ive seen this bottle or one like it beofr eon the mm's web site or some other web site and it was saying this is a fake, anyone able to shed more light on it?

A couple of years ago this bottle (of the same type) popped up on ebay. Questions were asked and I spent several hours searching via google for info and finally found a Japanese retailer who had identical bottles for sale. Since the bottle in question here comes from Japan it raises further questions. If it is real I would think it was quite old stock.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder