Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenglassaugh

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glenglassaugh

Postby Scotchio » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:34 am

I'm looking for some good representative and ideally affordable bottles of Glenglassaugh and noticed the Mcphails 86 can be had for around £40. Has anyone tried this or can anyone recommend any currently available bottlings.
thanks
Steve
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:30 pm

Royal Mile Whiskies's Dormant Distillery Co have a very nice 27yo at around £50. Don't know if they have any left but you could also try Loch Fyne Whiskies who took a few bottles.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:22 pm

I had a dram of the DD (assume it's the same one) at the Bow Bar and loved it. I find cherries in Glenglassaugh, and of the three or four I've tried, this one had it strongest. (Must be one o' them new-fangled cherry-cask finishes. :P )
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:43 pm

you can still get the family silver bottle 30yo from the odd shop for £60, bit dearer, but quality
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:29 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I had a dram of the DD (assume it's the same one) at the Bow Bar and loved it. I find cherries in Glenglassaugh, and of the three or four I've tried, this one had it strongest. (Must be one o' them new-fangled cherry-cask finishes. :P )

That's the one. I remember your expression when you first tasted it :D - mind you , it was just after a mouthful of burnt popcorn :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:22 pm

Alas I believe the Dead Dodos bottling is no linger available. Any more suggestions? Anyone?
I emailed some dude calling himself the Scotch doctor as he had some is in his inventory but he said none of the Glassaughs he'd had were anything special and he had the bottles for completionist reasons. Bah, come on the family Silver is supposed to be good, there must be other good bottlings about!
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi there,

in Germany there are two OBs 19 and 22 years old which came out last year. Jack Wiebes bottled one in his Old Train Line which is 35 years or therabouts. I wonder you seem not to be able to find Glenglassaugh bottlings. At the moment and in these boom times everybody seems to bottle Glenglassaugh at least you can get that impression here. Two years ago many people didn`t even know that there once was a distillery called Glenglassaugh.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:51 pm

I know there are a few available from £40 to £120 but there isn't a lot of info re tasting notes . I was hoping someone would come on and say yes I had some ... without the roast duck finish and it was excellent. So good that Boots are stocking it for medicinal purposes and it's now available on prescription. hey ho.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:14 pm

Parkers Whisky has a CS single cask 30yo Glengasser for around £80. I have supped two bottles!
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder