Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Anyone familiar with...

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Anyone familiar with...

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:45 pm

I have received a few unrequested, (yet interesting!), emails from a Charles Meyrick from http://www.balthazarwine.com
regarding a few different Highland Park bottlings, 38/39yo and am wondering if anyone out there knows this individual or company, or has any experience with him or his company? Thanks for your help!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:15 pm

In what sort of context did you get emails. Are trying to sell you whisky by directly contacting you? If so this would seem strange to me.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:44 pm

Yes, odd I thought and to my work email, which I don't remember ever asking for information regarding this. And he specifically has 2 different bottlings, from a few years back, "in bond," 75cl, but based in London. Rather confusing, maybe this helps...

"Dear Sir/Madam

I am pleased to be able to update you with prices and information for the split cask bottling of Highland Park 1967 38 year old and 39 year old

The price per bottle of the 1967, 38 Year Old is GBP 500 In Bond London
The price per bottle of the 1967, 39 Year Old is GBP 750 In Bond London

Both bottlings are 75cl and 55.% alc

Those that have ordered the 38 Year Old will get prioirty ordering of the 39 Year Old, in equal quantities. If orders for the 39 Year Old are received before it's release date of April 2007 then the price of GBP 650 per bottle is applicable.

With kind regards
Charles Meyrick

Fax: +44 (0)20 7736 2638
http://www.balthazarwine.com"

And this additional information along with the email...

"PRESS INFORMATION: 10th November 2006
The launch of Highland Park Single Cask 1967 will be welcomed by whisky experts, collectors and enthusiasts worldwide. The recently conferred accolade "Best Spirit in the World" has confirmed the status of Highland Park as the finest single malt in the world. With the release of Single Cask 1967, Highland Park will become one of the world's most collectable single malts.

The oldest exceptional cask ever bottled by Highland Park is unprecedented in that the cask will be a split bottling; half of the cask has already been bottled and the remainder will be bottled on 26th December 2006 for release in early 2007.

This will give collectors a unique opportunity to purchase bottles of two different ages from the same cask. Each purchaser of a 38-year-old bottle will be entitled to buy its brother, the 39-year-old.

The first bottles of Highland Park Single Cask 1967 38-year-old will be auctioned at the first ever auction of fine wines held in Israel today and are expected to realise a price of approximately $2,000 per bottle. Only 200 bottles will be available from each bottling.

From the collector's perspective, this exceptional bottling will have everything;
· Top quality whisky: Highland Park makes "The Best Spirit in the World"
· Provenance: Single Cask 1967 is a distillery bottling
· Rarity: There are only 200 bottles of each bottling
· Uniqueness: First ever split cask of Highland Park

The cask has been selected by Highland Park's Global Brand Ambassador Gerry Tosh. Gerry stated; "I taste casks of Highland Park on a regular basis. This one was very obviously special; it has all the trademark flavours of Highland Park and a deliciously sweet smokiness. A great spirit like Highland Park can develop extraordinary character during prolonged maturation, as shown by this expression."

Colour: Light golden with slight green hue
Nose: Toffee apple, clove, pine needles and lemon zest. Simply the smell of summer
Palate: A wonderful sweet and fruity initial taste with currants and raisins
Finish: Gently dries to a sweet smokey finish

About Highland Park
Highland Park was established in Kirkwall, Orkney in 1798.
Highland Park 18 Year Old was named "Best Spirit in the World" by F. Paul Pacult.
The quality of Highland Park is built on five fundamental keystones.
Hand-turned malt adds to the deliciously succulent, balanced layers of aromatic character found in Highland Park single malt Scotch whisky.
Aromatic malt gives a delectably seductive, luxuriant floral sweetness to Highland Park single malt Scotch whisky.
Cool maturation enhances the smooth character of Highland Park single malt Scotch whisky.
Sherry oak casks contribute to the distinctive richness and multi-dimensional complexity of Highland Park single malt Scotch whisky.
Cask harmonisation ensures consistency and balance in Highland Park single malt Scotch whisky.
For more information visit http://www.highlandpark.co.uk <http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/> "

Perhaps I should email Highland Park and as them to verify this??
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:44 pm

I've just forwarded this to Highland Park to see if they can authenticate these 2 special bottlings in question. And shed some light on this sales person and business. I hope it's real!! Keep you all posted.
Di Blasi

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:47 pm

I just looked them up in Yellow Pages and this was the result:

1 results for "balthazar ltd"
Exact matches located in SW6
Balthazar Ltd
The Cranewell, 2, Michael Rd, London, SW6 2AD
Tel: 020 7348 7398
Wine, Spirit & Beer Merchants - Wholesale

It would seem that they do exist.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:56 pm

Thanks Paul!
It does seem real, but remember a few months back in Holland that scam we were told about here, about a site and seller ripping people off?? Again, I hope this isn't one. It doesn't seem like it, but one can't be too careful??
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:32 pm

Good work C_I, thanks for the link! The foto of the Highland Park on that site is the same one from the email I received. Starting to sound a bit more realistic I guess. Who knows, we'll see!
Di Blasi

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:44 am

I don't know if I've picked this up right but it states the prices are from Bond. This would leave me to believe that duty and vat has to be paid also or am I picking up the wrong end of the stick :?

Sounds good though.. I'll have 6 of each (in my dreams :lol: )
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby les taylor » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:51 am

Be careful of cold callers and unsolicited calls and email is my policy.

:shock:
les taylor

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:38 pm

Yes, I don't know how this person got my email, so I'm confused. And the "in bond" part was also a bit weird. Now this company in London is selling a bottle that a company in Beverly Hills claims is their special bottling of a Highland Park cask, bottled 2 separate times, truly odd.
Di Blasi

Postby kallaskander » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:22 pm

Hi there,

http://web.mac.com/sbussel/iWeb/Saybrex ... nd%20.html

http://malthead.blogspot.com/2006/11/hi ... -cask.html

I seem to remember that you can only buy bottle no. 2 if you bought no. 1 already and that the company you got the mail from has the exclusive distribution for this bottlings.

The mail you received was intended for wholesalers and retailers afaik.

Greetings
kallaskander

Another bit of info http://www.onecaribbean.org/information ... rowid=4341

http://beverage-retailer.com/Jan06/onshelves.htm
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm

this was mentioned in the recent whisky mag No.61

very reasonable in price :roll:
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:43 am

Yes, thanks again for your help guys! Slowly, it's all starting to sound real, but I'm still perplexed how this person got my email, my work one, when I normally use a personal one for whisky related stuff etc. I did too read a bit in the latest Whisky Magazine regarding this special bottling. Now too just afford these 2 beauties!!!
Di Blasi

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder