Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bourbon Fans.

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Bourbon Fans.

Postby Elagabalus » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:31 pm

I was just curious as to whether or not any of you have tried the following Bourbons and to what you thought of any of them.
I am listing these 3 because my liquor store offers them and Jim Beam, but Jim Beam is just your run of the mill Bourbon.

1. Knob Creek
2. Maker's Mark
3. Woodford Reserve

Thank You
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Quaichuser » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:09 pm

Of the 3 I have tried the Woodford Reserve. It was recommended to me over the other two when I decided to try one of the premium bourbons. It is quite nice for a bourbon. I found it could easily be taken neat. (I prefer it with one small piece of ice though) Another good one is the Buffalo Trace. I have yet to try the Knob Creek or Makers Mark. They make for an interesting foray away from single malts.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:36 pm

Nice question Elagabalus. I love Woodford reserve its vanilla buttery flavour is one I can remember even when I've not drunk it for a while. Great shape bottle as well.
Makers Mark is one of my favourite bottles I picked up when visiting New York I need to open it, and I've not tried Knob Creek Yet . Like Quaichuser I have enjoyed buffalo trace in the past.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:50 am

Thanks les. It's just here in Canada we have such limited selections in regards to whisky. Unless of course it's Rye, we have tons of Rye.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Thesh » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:04 am

I have all three right now. I would put them in the order you already listed.

BTW, I think Jim Beam Black is a very decent bourbon, escpecially for the price. Not too fond of the white label, however.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby pmullin » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:37 am

I'm a big fan of Woodford Reserve. I've also found that friends who are not normally whiskey drinkers take to it quite well - a great way to bring them over to the dark side :wink:
pmullin
Bronze Member

We're insinuating our way in

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:43 am

pmullin:
Another Canuck! Welcome to the forums. There are a wide variety of interests here and as such, you may tempt me to the dark side as well (into trying Woodford Reserve). The local LC manager has been tempting me with it but I've not yet succumbed to his blandishments.
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby pmullin » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:53 am

Thanks for the welcome! If you do give it a try, let me know what you think of the WR.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:59 am

See you at the Rogue this summer, pm?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:22 am

As usual, it seems, let me lend a dissent -- I think Woodford Reserve (except for it's pre-pot still batches) -- is terribly inconsistent and, thus, over-rated. Prior to Batch 90 (Lincoln Henderson signature), Woodford contained only bourbon hand-picked from Old Forester barrels already maturing, then transferred to Woodford County for aging. It was, indeed, very good then, but it also essentially was re-labelled Old Forester.
Only in Sept. 2003 (post-Batch 90) did WR begin using pot-stilled bourbon in the mix, and had a heckuva time finding a balance for the very coppery/metallic-flavored bourbon against the Old Forester barrels. For quite a while, simply put, Woodford Reserve wasn't very good. Newer bottlings (Chris Morris signature) are getting better and more consistent as they've 'figured out' how to use the pot-stilled whiskey, but it's not as good as the original versions using solely OF barrels. (The only all-pot-still distillate they've bottled is the execrable Four Grain. Ignore what the whiskey critics say about it -- bourbon drinkers hate the stuff!).
Maker's Mark is pretty good, but would be better at either 3-5 years older, or $5-$7 cheaper. Like Jack Daniel's, it's very expensive young (c. 6 years) whiskey. The finish suffers from its youth.
Knob Creek's a fine bourbon, but it, too, would be more appealing if it were cheaper.
I don't buy any of them with any regularity, though I won't turn down an offered pour if I don't see anything else available.
Last edited by Deactivated Member on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deactivated Member

Postby Drammer » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:50 am

My personal favorite right now is Four Roses Single Barrel.

It costs €5 less than Makers Mark here, and it's miles ahead!
It's the 86 proof version.
Drammer

Postby bamber » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:35 am

I'm with Tim here. I'd go for the MM and KC. The MM is clean and light, with obvious wheat influence and the KC is BIG sweet and mapely. WR is nice enough, but a bottle seems to last forever.

As an aside I hate JB white label, with a passion, but despite KC's genetic links with that foul beast, I still really like it.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:21 pm

Out of the 3 listed the Makers mark is the one for me....
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:39 pm

Oh heaven's tibetsy this really isn't going too well. I would have liked to have seen a majority for one or the other. I will start a poll in the poll section.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby BubbaC » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:03 pm

I think you should get all 3. Each one has it's good qualities. I will say Woodford tends to be a little inconsistent. If you are trying to get into bourbon's, I'd start with the Maker's Mark. Very easy to drink... perhaps too easy.
BubbaC

Postby Choochoo » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:25 pm

BubbaC wrote: I'd start with the Maker's Mark. Very easy to drink... perhaps too easy.

LOL True! That stuff has snuck up on me a few times. A smooth easy drinker, and the next thing I know the room's spinning :shock: :(
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:14 pm

lol really? Ok I will try the MM. I have had the Knob Creek and Woodsford reserve before. I'll try the MM and the Jim Beam Black Label.

The price difference between MM and JBB is 12 dollars (CDN) so I'll see.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder