Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenlivet 25ye

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.
Related whiskies : The Glenlivet XXV

Glenlivet 25ye

Postby r900p » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:54 pm

I have two Glenlivet 25yr royal marriage, both excellent condition, original boxes, and both consecutive numbers.

Ihad them looked at was tole £250 each, would you say this is a good value, when they are selling in retailers for just under £800.

So does anyone one think this is a good offer or should i hold on to them and drink them.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:06 pm

From the information I have, Martin Green of McTear's seems to value this bottle at around 250 GBP.

I haven't found any for sale after a quick look, but if you say they are selling in retailers for around 800 GBP, then I think you must use 800 GBP as the value for insurance puirposes.

If you were to sell them, I suspect you would get somewhere nearer to 400-600 GBP.

As for drinking, the choice is obviously yours, but these will continue to appreciate in value over the years, so I personally would be very reluctant to open them, especially when you could get other very good Glenlivets to open and drink.
What makes this one such a collectible is the label and limited availability.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby r900p » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:14 pm

Thanks MT, i thought the royal marriage element of things would reduce the price of the bottles.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:35 pm

r900p wrote:Thanks MT, i thought the royal marriage element of things would reduce the price of the bottles.

Rob

That's hardly reducing the value.
In my experience the retailers usually charge absolute top prices and you will hardly ever match those prices when selling privately (auctions ites or private sales).
But if it were to be stolen or lost for any reason, you would probably have to pay the 800 GBP to replace it quickly, as they don't come up for sale too often. Hence the idea of insuring it for the current "retail" price.

'Real' auction houses like McTears base their quotations on prices achieved in their own "real" auctins, which due to buyer's premiums and VAT payments, are almost always lower than prices achieved elsewhere.
Therefore, you have the range as you have quoted:
250 GBP to 800 GBP.

Realistically, the true "street price" that you will likely achieve with a sale is somewhere inbetween these values, hence my 400-600 GBP quotation.
Obviously, on a good day, if you are very lucky and sell this through an online auction site, you may find 2 or 3 people who really want it, bidding against each other. In this case, nearer to he 800 GBP becomes a possibility.

The whisky is a Glenlivet 25 y/o which can usually be bought cheaper than one like this with a special label and a limited release of bottles.

So in reality, it is the "Royal Marriage" element which gives it value!
MT
Deactivated Member

Related whiskies : The Glenlivet XXV

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder