Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Out of Room

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Out of Room

Postby ScotchPalate » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:04 am

My wife is getting tired of my Scotch collection crowding our blanket/towel closet. Any suggestions on where to put em' to keep em out of sunlight. Anyone know of a liquor cabinet that ain't $400?! Thanks.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Badmonkey » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:10 am

I keep mine in an IKEA bookcase behind closed doors. It seems to do the trick just fine. Mind you, I don't have to worry about kids or unruly guests getting into the collection.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:54 am

For bottles that don't need to be on display, you can stuff them just about anywhere. I keep mind above my fridge thinking that the temperature won't go up too much.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:00 am

Let me be the first with the obvious and clichéd answer: I'd be happy to store them for you. 8)

Maybe you could follow LFW's example and build a loft for them.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:04 am

I built some cabinets in my office at back of the workshop. Its on the north facing side of the house so its always cool, excellent. Dry cool and no sun it couldn't be better.

When I got past 50 bottles my wife couldn't cope with them in the house anymore either, and I prefer having my babies where I can see them. So a win win situation.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:11 am

I had a similar problem until I recently had a major re-shuffle.

Most of my own personal collection lives in its own little store room with a quite constant temperature, the rest have another storage area which is also filling up nicely.

I also recently converted my cellar into a stock room for my sales stock.

All in all, there are something like 600 bottles around the place.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:52 pm

you should get your wife to like whisky too suddenlly there`s more space !
when we didn`t have any more space we remodeled and built ourselves a bar(this was my idea I said to my husband lets get rid of the small livingroom we don`t need 2 but we need a bar :) )
This has been a success we also have a coffee bar in our bar (the bar is also next to the kitchen so you can get a snack when ever you want. :) )
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:57 pm

Sorry, but above the fridge and in a loft sound too warm to me. The warm ventilation from the fridge, and being in the kitchen where the heat comes from sounds like an enemy of whisky. And in a loft, unless it's well insulated and no chance of getting hot.
I have a thermometer in my "cellar-closet," lucky me, where the bottles stay constantly between 12C and 18C or so, in the dark, bolted with a big lock! Lucky lucky me!
Di Blasi

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:08 pm

When my whisky cupboard gets full I start using the bottom of my wardrobe, when that gets full - I start drinking quicker!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:03 pm

Ann-Helen wrote:-

you should get your wife to like whisky too suddenlly there`s more space !

Ann- Helen she loves it too, and is always pleased to try new things. It was the space it was taking up in the dining room was a problem. This way is much better. Plus the dining room dosen't get to look like an off licence. Its cooler here in the office as well.

Glad your bar works for you, sounds good.

:)
les taylor

Re: Out of Room

Postby Wave » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:39 pm

ScotchPalate wrote:My wife is getting tired of my Scotch collection crowding our blanket/towel closet. Any suggestions on where to put em' to keep em out of sunlight. Anyone know of a liquor cabinet that ain't $400?! Thanks.

It depends on how visable you want it. If it's to be out in your living room, den or any other place where other people would see it your going to probably spend at least $400 for a nice case. If under lock & key stashed away like my collection then a large metal storage locker (or 2) is a good choice. The metal shelves wont break and even a better quality case will cost less than $100.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:03 pm

I keep my collection in the garage. It's well out of the way of inquisitive kids so should be safe. It's also dark and a constant cool temperature. The only people to see it are those invited by my good self. So far it seems to be fine for me
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:56 pm

martin grant wrote:I keep my collection in the garage. It's well out of the way of inquisitive kids so should be safe.

You really think so? :lol:

I keep my collection in a cupboard, dark and at a reasonably constant temperature. Like siome above, if I run out of space (for it has been known :roll: ) I just empty a few that are already open that much quicker :D
Deactivated Member

Postby r900p » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:36 pm

I agree with Ane-Helen get your wife to like it, life is so much easier, i persuaded my girlfriend to try Bruichladdich Rocks, she loved it, and she's quite ahppy to have a few here and there.

But be warned my girl now has Rock on a drip!!!! Not cheap, suppose i could bulk buy.

But you have a problem with storage, i found that we have cupboards full of stuff we,ve never used, and food tins that were out of date or neither one of us fancied trying, so we binned loads of them, thus making room for whisky.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:54 pm

Yes, how often do you use the fancy china, anyway? And you could probably throw out most of your clothing to make more room, although that might interfere with your nosing eventually. In fact, you should get rid of everything that takes up valuable whisky-storage space. Get a Murphy Bed.
Deactivated Member

Run out of space?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:32 pm

ScotchPalate:
Right now my collection is sitting on 4 sturdy wooden shelves, totalling 50 feet of shelving. The bottom shelf is double wide, so I can actually store my whisky two deep on it. And if you increase the depth of your shelves, it will double your space. An added benefit is that you can store the unopened and more valuable ones in the back part.

Go to a DIY store, pick up some sturdy adjustable wall mount shelving and some shelf brackets along with several 4" x 10' shelves. Then, anchor the shelves to an unused wall near your bar and you can stock them with your gems of nectar.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:53 pm

I have not yet found an aesthetically pleasing way to store my whisky. I keep my reserve stock in boxes within boxes in a closet that has a fairly good temperature control. The box within a box idea came after watching a program where an archivist from the Univ. of Michigan spoke about the preservation of rare books. I could be way off, but without a climate-controlled room I think this might be the next best thing in controlling temperature and humidity.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Doug1937 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:23 am

On the Scotland episode of Three Sheets (a television series about the vast array of drinks, drinkers, and food that the world has to offer), they showed a little pub in Speyside. The design of the drinking room of the pub reminded me less of a tavern than of a personal lounge, like you'd have at home, with chairs against all the walls, no tables, etc. But the best part were the walls: all four walls of the drinking room had 2 or 3 levels of shelves, loaded with 70cl bottles of Scotch whisky. They said that the pub had 650+ bottles, though I don't know if all of them were on the walls. But I imagine if you built 2 or 3 rows of shelves on all of the walls of your den you'd never want for space again!

Pardon my enthusiam...I'm just jealous. :thumbsup:
Doug1937
Bronze Member

Postby Wave » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:41 am

:oops:
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:44 am

Doug1937 wrote:On the Scotland episode of Three Sheets (a television series about the vast array of drinks, drinkers, and food that the world has to offer), they showed a little pub in Speyside. The design of the drinking room of the pub reminded me less of a tavern than of a personal lounge, like you'd have at home, with chairs against all the walls, no tables, etc. But the best part were the walls: all four walls of the drinking room had 2 or 3 levels of shelves, loaded with 70cl bottles of Scotch whisky. They said that the pub had 650+ bottles, though I don't know if all of them were on the walls.

This one, I'm guessing?
Deactivated Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:00 am

Good show - that was a good set up and its what my brother in law does - he put up narrow wall shelves with bottles side by side with just over a foot vertical space between shelves - hung on 3 of 4 walls.

I use a spare closet for long term/duplicate storage, and a solid wood book shelf for display/drinking. I recommend going to decent/mid-range furniture stores and looking for floor models on sale. Consignment shops work as well. I'm rather pleased with my bookshelf and it ran just over $200 (floor model at Crate & Barrel), and my friends seem to think it looks nice - or at least they say that as a way to encourage the consumption of its contents... :empty:
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:46 pm

I have my bottles in cupboards and all over the floor of my spare room. I like whisky in boxes and tubes as they are stackable. I'm so far behind with my drinking it's unbelievable - around 250 bottles, I think. But I have started to buy less and one day might even buy less than I drink!
Deactivated Member

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:27 pm

My wife did something different. She took a portion of the bar and started buying her own 'stuff'. Now we got bottles of gin, vodka, rum, tequila and a host of mixing soda and weird mixes like cranberry juice, apple, green nectar, etc. for her cocktails. Their is also a measuring cup complete with a computerized recipe on one end with a small lcd display of ingredients. Not to mention that on one side of the kitchen is her collection of wine bottles which she expects me to keep full.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Re:

Postby Bruichladdict » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:10 pm

r900p wrote:... i persuaded my girlfriend to try Bruichladdich Rocks, she loved it, and she's quite ahppy to have a few here and there.

But be warned my girl now has Rock on a drip!!!! Not cheap, suppose i could bulk buy.

Rob

One of our 5 Cask-Brothers (Bruichladdict) was proudly proclaiming that his wife has become a newly christened single malt lover...to which we replied : "Fool! Tell us you got a pre-nup on the scotch!"

Currently 4 of us are 0.2 owners of a Bruichladdich unpeated, first fill sherry. The chap in question is now a 0.1 owner.

I myself never plan on trying to convince my wife to get on board! :wink:
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:17 pm

LeoDLion wrote:My wife did something different. She took a portion of the bar and started buying her own 'stuff'. Now we got bottles of gin, vodka, rum, tequila and a host of mixing soda and weird mixes like cranberry juice, apple, green nectar, etc. for her cocktails. Their is also a measuring cup complete with a computerized recipe on one end with a small lcd display of ingredients. Not to mention that on one side of the kitchen is her collection of wine bottles which she expects me to keep full.

Same thing here, except for the lcd display. :coffee:
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby oldrip57 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:42 am

ScotchPalate wrote:...Anyone know of a liquor cabinet that ain't $400?..

And how much have you invested in the liquor? Isn't a $400 cabinet a small investment in its safe-keeping/display/provenance?
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby hilliamash » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:33 am

I keep mine in the kitchen in the cabinets, but I've gotten my share of complaints as well--especially when the collection hit 50. I've pretended to not hear the comments thus far, but the time is coming when I have to do something. I'm thinking of setting up a bar when I move in a few weeks time in another room. Should be an interesting experience in any case. :-D
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:53 am

oldrip57 wrote:
ScotchPalate wrote:...Anyone know of a liquor cabinet that ain't $400?..

And how much have you invested in the liquor? Isn't a $400 cabinet a small investment in its safe-keeping/display/provenance?

I was thinking the same thing: What the heck, that's four good bottles. Then I thought, What the heck! That's four good bottles!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:55 am

hilliamash wrote:I keep mine in the kitchen in the cabinets, but I've gotten my share of complaints as well--especially when the collection hit 50. I've pretended to not hear the comments thus far, but the time is coming when I have to do something. I'm thinking of setting up a bar when I move in a few weeks time in another room. Should be an interesting experience in any case. :-D

Moving in the singular usually ends the complaints, anyway....
Deactivated Member

Postby r900p » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:20 am

I've partly moved out of my parents home now, living in a very small flat so space for whisky is very limited, i'm only going to have the odd drinking bottle down here in Liverpool and a couple of specials on display i've been allowed to keep my collection at home, now i have almost moved out they are having an extension built, for wine storage, now i'm trying to blag this for malts too.

I read the Times the other weekend, did anyone see the following

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l ... 698141.ece

Could the same principle be applied to wine. This would be a bad idea if you lived in a flat, so not good for me as i'm not sure my neighbours would appreciate having their flat burrowed into.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder