Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Non-scotch singles that took me by surprise

General chat and talk about whisky.

Non-scotch singles that took me by surprise

Postby ColinL » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:49 am

I posted this message to usenet a week or so ago and thought I'd copy it here as i got some interesting feedback and this forum is much more active than alt.drinks.scotch-whisky.

I just tried the Canadian Glen Breton Rare 10 and the Irish Bushmills Rum Cask. Both are singles. I purposely decided to try some other nation's single malts and was so pleasantly surprised. The Glen Breton was very much like a scotch whisky. It's a peated malt and has a character all its own. The Bushmills blew me away. I had no idea an Irish single would be so different from a Scotch single.

My notes:
http://www.forpeatsake.com/Glenora/Glen+Breton+Rare+10+Years+Old/1
http://www.forpeatsake.com/Bushmills/Bushmills+Rum+Cask+14+Years+Old/1

What do you all think of non-scotch singles? I'm going to try a Japanese next.

Colin.
ColinL

Postby Drammer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:19 am

I've had a Welsh single, Penderyn.

It was a quite young one, 4 Years although they don't state that on the label, but I was pleasantly surprised. I already was very smooth and had alot of character. Definitely one to get in a few years!
Drammer

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:57 am

Hi ColinL,
After some requests from my Munich customer-base I recently held an International whisky tasting, where none of the 8 drams were Scotch.

It was an evening of excellent whisky and many surprises.
Rather than repeat everything here, take a look at this discussion:

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5344

Regards,
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:59 am

I too am a fan of Pendyryn we have a friends at Strumble head I have picked up a Pendyryn when we go down there.

Not forgetting of coures the Fantastic Irish Whyskies Redbreast Connemara Jameson and Bushmills.

Variety is good.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Non-scotch singles that took me by surprise

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:08 pm

ColinL wrote:I posted this message to usenet a week or so ago and thought I'd copy it here as i got some interesting feedback and this forum is much more active than alt.drinks.scotch-whisky.

I just tried the Canadian Glen Breton Rare 10 and the Irish Bushmills Rum Cask. Both are singles. I purposely decided to try some other nation's single malts and was so pleasantly surprised. The Glen Breton was very much like a scotch whisky. It's a peated malt and has a character all its own. The Bushmills blew me away. I had no idea an Irish single would be so different from a Scotch single.

My notes:

Colin.

Hey Colin! I was very pleasantly surprised when I first tried a Japanese Single Malt! Expecting a bit of green tea floral soft essence of a Japanese hint or something, I found it to be very similar to Bruichladdich! I snapped out of my own stupidity of expectation when I realized since the ingredients for whisky from all over is, (or should be anyway), the same, I understood the similarities to Single Malt Scotches. Enjoy!
Di Blasi

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:43 pm

Thumbs up to Penderyn over here too!

anyone tried Amrut from India? Got a bottle for Christmas from my father-in-law, a Scotsman with a wicked sense of humour!

And it's not bad! "It is carefully mashed and distilled in small batches" it says here,"...this Oak aged Indian malt whisky is matured in a unique tropical condition at 3000 feet above sea level at Bangalore, the garden city of India."

Ah! the fun of offering your guests a "Welsh", or an "Indian on the rocks..."
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:54 pm

Amrut was another in my "international tasting" and it was voted "Best" on the night!

See my link in an earlier post on this thread.

After I tried the whiskies myself over the following 3 days, I preferred the Milford 10 from New Zealand, but the Amrut and Penderyn were pretty good.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:58 pm

On MT's reccommendation I too have an Amrut yet to open it. Looks fun though.

:)
les taylor

Re: Non-scotch singles that took me by surprise

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:35 pm

ColinL wrote:I posted this message to usenet a week or so ago and thought I'd copy it here as i got some interesting feedback and this forum is much more active than alt.drinks.scotch-whisky.

My notes:

Colin.

If you liked the Bushmills Rum cask you should try and get your hands on a Bushmills Csak strength Sherry Cask. Maybe hard to source and maybe a bit too expensive just to have a try but I think this is one of Bushmills finest whiskies in any bottling (as there are several versions).
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Drammer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:48 pm

Ah, the bushmills doublewood is a decent dram too, cheap and good!
Drammer

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:50 pm

Yes, I too have gotten my hands on the Amrut recently, nice actually. And NOT chill-filtered, better yet!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:59 pm

Another that I currently have in my stock, but haven't had the opportunity to try yet is "Mackmyra Preludium03".

I have heard some pretty good reports about this one, so I am looking forward to the opportunity to try it.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:37 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:Another that I currently have in my stock, but haven't had the opportunity to try yet is "Mackmyra Preludium03".

I have heard some pretty good reports about this one, so I am looking forward to the opportunity to try it.

MT

Try it in your world whisky tasting!
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:00 am

Di Blasi wrote:
Malt-Teaser wrote:Another that I currently have in my stock, but haven't had the opportunity to try yet is "Mackmyra Preludium03".

MT

Is that the one Jim Murray gives 95 pints ?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:09 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:

MT

Is that the one Jim Murray gives 95 pints ?

Yup, and Murray also states is his favorite mainland European distillery for the '07 Bible!!
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:44 am

Di Blasi wrote:Yup, and Murray also states is his favorite mainland European distillery for the '07 Bible!!

Interesting! And a few left at the vinmonopol.....
Mr Fjeld

Postby Aidan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:08 am

Is Murray involved with that distillery in any way?

I'm glad people are trying different whiskies. I don't know why anyone would be surprised that other nations could produce good malt whisky. It's just normal people who make whisky - not druids or magicians.

The for peat's sake website has all Bushmills products listed under blends?
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:06 pm

Aidan wrote:
The for peat's sake website has all Bushmills products listed under blends?

Aaaahhhhhh for peats sake ......... :lol:

Colin get your ass in gear :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you'vetaken on a bit of a monster task there.

An idea may be that you subdivide as Malts, Scotch Blends, Irish, US, Japanese etc
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:43 pm

Aidan wrote:Is Murray involved with that distillery in any way?

Not that I know of.
Mr Fjeld

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder