Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Oban Casks

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Oban

Oban Casks

Postby ScotchPalate » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:25 pm

Anyone know what type of wood and char is used in the Oban Distillery to make Oban 14 year?

I just got the Oban 14, and I like it. I'm curious as to whether sherry or bourbon casks are used (or both) and what type of char.

Thanks.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:36 pm

I think they use arctic char. (Ooh, another great finish for Glen Googly.)

I don't believe that Scotch distilleries use degrees of char in the same manner as bourbon ones. To my knowledge, they only char casks after they scrape them out prior to a fourth of fifth fill, in a last attempt to get a bit more use out of an old cask. I can't say I'm 100% certain about that, and invite correction (oh yes! I've been a bad boy!). In any case, I've never heard of them talking about levels of char in the same way bourbon distillers do.
Deactivated Member

Postby karlejnar » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:57 pm

My guess is "scotch hogshead". That means they brake down 5 bourbon barrels for remaking 4 hogsheads. They use new wood for the heads, so normally they "season" the casks with grain whisky for 5 years.

That's what they do with Talisker (and Dalwhinnie and Lagavulin), so Oban being a Diageo distillery, and they seem to prefer hogshead's, I would guess it's the same type of cask for the std 14yo.

As Mr.T explained, they don't char the staves. But maybe they char the new heads.
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:08 pm

The Distiller's Edition uses Sherry casks, but I expect the normal 14 uses bourbon.

MT
Deactivated Member

Related whiskies : Oban

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder