Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Mailing whisky in a parcel in UK?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Mailing whisky in a parcel in UK?

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:38 am

I am considering purchasing one and similarly selling a few of my bottles in UK. Naturally I will expect the seller to pack the bottle well - and I will do likewise for the ones I am selling.

My question is, what should I put on the parcel as contents in order to avoid unnecessary hassle in the post office, and guarantee that they accept the parcel for delivery. If memory serves me right, once in Machester I tried to send a bottle to a LOndon address, and marked the contents as whisky, only to be told by the postal worker that they refuse the parcel due to its flammable contents.

Needless to say, the same parcel was mailed safely from the other nearby post office as "boxfull of special shampoo" later ..

:twisted:
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:00 pm

I usually use either 'Collectable Whisky Container' or 'Antique Whisky Container' also pack it well enough that they do not hear the bottle gurgle inside when it is being passed around :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:11 pm

Do you mean you HAVE to label parcels within the UK?

Here in Germany there is no requirement or even facility to label a parcel as to the contents. The only time contents are specified is when sending outside of the EU and a custom declaration is required.
In those cases, I use "Collectible bottle".
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:27 pm

I read somewhere that Royal Mail does allow you to send alcohol as long as it is below 70% ABV. So no sending Stagg...
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:37 pm

Must have changed then, or the postal worker in Machester was just being a bit of a git.
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:46 pm

ive posted 100's of bottles of whisky within the uk over the years and ive never had to write on the package what is inside, ive been asked a couple fo times, and ive told them tomind there own bussiness.
only when sending things outwith the uk you have to declare whats inside for customs reasons, then all ido is put on it either lava lamp or collectable glass bottle.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:50 pm

M.R.J. wrote:Must have changed then, or the postal worker in Machester was just being a bit of a git.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400044&mediaId=400251

Scroll down this page and you'll get your answer.
Deactivated Member

Postby martin grant » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:39 pm

Thanks for the info Nick. On the few occasions I have mailed whisky I marked the parcel 'lava lamp'. Least I now know I don't have to do that any more!
martin grant
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder